U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM

12,630 posts, read 18,575,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
There is a program in Flint right now - I can't recall what it's called - where through some sort of grant money and government funding, "at risk" teens are being taught trades, computing, things like that. I think it's great and hope it gets some of these kids employed and useful.

Other than small programs like that, I am not sure what else the city can do...canudigit is right. The problems run very deep and are beyond the scope of what the city can tackle. Especially since Flint is teetering on bankruptcy. There is a huge class of folks who have little understanding or will or ability to become responsible and employed, or avoid crime, gangs and drugs. I volunteer with an agency that works with "at-risk" families and kids and while it does a marvelous job of helping some people, the majority are basically beyond help and the best we can do is find various types of government aid for them so they don't end up homeless.

If uneducated, unemployed, drug-using people could be persuaded to stop breeding for a decade or so, that would help. It's the little kids that break my heart. Bright, willing, curious, smart little kids and I look at them and figure the majority will lose the smarts and innocence and curiosity and end up like their parents, in jail, or dead by 20. All because their parents don't have the skills and tools to raise them right. It starts with the parents...and their parents, and so on.
Well see this goes back to assistance if they were not getting any money for more than 1 or 2 kids that would stop that. At one time Michigan did do that I believe but it was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 AM

4,498 posts, read 7,763,299 times
The thing is, though, if the state stopped paying them for having kids, that would not not make them responsible and it would not make them stop having kids, because it takes a little bit of effort to prevent pregnancy, it would only cause the kids to pay for the parents' stupidity and selfishness even more, because the money would still go for drugs and bling, and the kids would have even less than they do now. The only answer, and it is virtually impossible as long as these kids are being raised by these parents, is for the cycle of laziness, immorality, and lack of concern for others' possessions and lives to be broken. If anyone can accomplish that, they should win the Nobel Prize, at the very least.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM

849 posts, read 1,675,703 times
govt paid for sterilization already!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
govt paid for sterilization already!

Huh?

The problem is, you cannot hurt children by refusing their parents (in almost all cases, the mother) help. There are not enough foster homes, and anyway, the mothers and children - no matter how dysfunctional the relationship - do love and depend on each other. Perhaps for the "wrong" reasons...but I don't want to see a government or even NGO make the determination that this or that parent is somehow "unfit" and removing children from the family. That just isn't going to happen.

Mostly it's not about "bling" and Escalades and even drugs. It's simple ignorance and poverty and squalor and filth with no comprehension of how life could ever be different, passed down from one generation to another. That this happens in a first-world country is beyond my comprehension, but it does happen.

That's why I think aggressive prevention - pushing birth control starting at age 13 or 14, head start programs, parenting programs, etc, is the only thing that will turn the tide. Unfortunately that's not politically popular because the effects are long-term in the future and cost money. Draconian punishments, liberal (lol) use of the death penalty and harsh prison sentences are politically popular but won't work in the long term, are extremely costly, and don't address the root cause: generational incompetence and welfare dependence.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,914,870 times
There needs to be something for these kids to do too. No parental supervision, no after school activites, and no morals and you get kids misbehaving. Make all these kids go to boarding school and you will take care of some of the problem. Bring in free after school and summer programs helps. These lower income kids are either living with parents who dont care or are unsupervised when not in school while parent(s) are at work. Higher income areas tend to have more often kids being supervised when out of school or in after school and summer programs.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM

213 posts, read 367,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Flint ranks as nation's most violent, FBI statistics show | MLive.com

Never knew that New Haven, Conn was such a dangerous city.

How did Flint and Detroit become so violent?
Yea New Haven is bad! Anytime theres 7 shootings in one night and someone gets killed 8:30 in the mourning, its bad

Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 AM

11 posts, read 18,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
There needs to be something for these kids to do too. No parental supervision, no after school activites, and no morals and you get kids misbehaving. Make all these kids go to boarding school and you will take care of some of the problem. Bring in free after school and summer programs helps. These lower income kids are either living with parents who dont care or are unsupervised when not in school while parent(s) are at work. Higher income areas tend to have more often kids being supervised when out of school or in after school and summer programs.
I actually agree with the idea of boarding schools. But like every other solution, that requires money that Flint doesn't have. And if everyone treats the kids like they're worthless, which is generally the mood in Flint public schools, then that's probably what they'll grow up to be.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,850 times
Default I would to buy an entire block

If some people with real money came into Flint they could most likely fix many of the problems fairly quickly. The homes are so inexpensive even commercial property is cheap. You could literally buy an entire area in Flint and clean it up. Basically just purchase all the homes and small businesses around and rent them out maintain high standards. You could then work closely with the local law enforcement to make sure that these areas are kept safe. With property value where it is there is real potential to make huge amounts of money on like a ten year scope.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,874,396 times
Well the problem is - you need to have people able and willing to patronise businesses in order to keep cash flowing in - have you been to Flint lately? On any given commercially zoned street - Dort, Davison, Pierson Rd, etc - well over half the lots and buildings are either empty, boarded up, or don't even have a structure on them. People have no money there. Even gas stations, buy here-pay here car lots, and liquor stores get boarded up. Big box stores that cater to the frugal (Wal-Mart etc - Wal-Mart has "big money") aren't in the city, because they wouldn't make a profit and they'd lose so much to shoplifting and robberies. They're in Flint Township, Davison, Grand Blanc, Clio. Not Flint.

And then you have to find decent people to rent your properties, without making off with the appliances and siding, burning the place down or opening a crack house. And, you can't hardly turn your back on a building in Flint without it being vandalized and stripped or burned down (I think on average two houses per day are burned down in this little city.) Standards? What standards? Who is going to live in a blighted part of Flint and attempt to maintain high standards? That's an oxymoron.

Local law enforcement doesn't even have the resources to respond to 911 calls unless someone is bleeding on the ground, never mind "keeping areas safe." And there's no jail space...even if the city goes against the voters' wishes and reopens the city jail, it will be overflowing within a week.

I have to assume you haven't spent any time in the bad parts of Flint - which is most of the city, except for downtown and a few nice little isolated neighborhoods.

If your ideas were viable, they'd have been implemented a long time ago. You know all those $100 houses and insanely inexpensive commercial properties on high-traffic roads for sale? There is a reason nobody is buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiZappa View Post
If some people with real money came into Flint they could most likely fix many of the problems fairly quickly. The homes are so inexpensive even commercial property is cheap. You could literally buy an entire area in Flint and clean it up. Basically just purchase all the homes and small businesses around and rent them out maintain high standards. You could then work closely with the local law enforcement to make sure that these areas are kept safe. With property value where it is there is real potential to make huge amounts of money on like a ten year scope.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM

29 posts, read 75,217 times
Default My take on FlintTown

First, let me clarify that I am a white, 28 year old male who went to school in the Flushing school district. However, I also used to drive through (and very often hang out in) the NorthWest side of Flint from the time I was about 16 until I was 21 (I used to use and sell a lot of drugs). I was born in the city of Flint (FOH) and I went to daycare in Flint until I was school age. I also lived in Flint for 2 years (near Corunna and Hughs) with my mother and had an apartment at Mill Road "Condos" for 1 1/2 years (between Flushing and Beecher) on Mill Road. I am also a psych major (used to be biology) and sociology minor in my senior year of college.
Here is my take on the situation (from what I have read and personal experience).
Flint, MI is a hellhole. But the question is... why? Many people blame race. They say that Black people are just inherently lazy and don't aspire to work. However, there is no genetic basis for determining race. If you took the genetic code of a Black male and compared it with that of a White male, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
I will acknowledge the fact that the unions pushed too hard with GM (a recent study found the average wage to be in the mid-$50s per hour). BUT, I see that as no excuse for deserting the city that got the company off of the ground. The lack of jobs has devastated the city. Crime is rampant because the only jobs that can support a family (a “structured choice”, referring to sociology) involve illegal activities.
Drugs, robberies, burglaries, etc.
In addition, children growing up in these communities see, day and night, the violence that consumes their environment. Its easy to say, “Get a job”… when you live in the suburbs and own a car. But many (if not most) people I know/knew living in the city of Flint did not own a car. They couldn’t afford one. In my opinion, these types of crimes (statistically they vary for poor areas, based upon the type of crime, and are usually murders, and robberies) are directly attributed to poverty. A lack of jobs and racial discrimination for jobs (the city of Flint is over 50% Black), is what I believe (and most stats back me up) to be the cause of (at least correlated with) Flint’s burgeoning crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or