U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM

362 posts, read 620,315 times

Advertisements

Used to just love vacation time every year. Plan and plan where your going and the buget of course. Then the day arrives when you pack every thing to fit the mode of transport.
You arrive at the location you picked, set up where your are staying, room in a motel or some type of camping.
Then it is off to sight seeing, maybe the butterfly house in Macinawa city. Many want a mento of the visit as a reminded in years to come. You search for just the right trinket that pleases you only to see made in China some how affixed to the trinket.
Now the delema is do you buy some thing made in another country, look longer for some thing made some place in the USA other than where you are Or do you just take pictures and call it good enough for the memorys?

Wait there may be some thing else you can do. Ask the people who work at such attractions if there is a shop in the area that sells area crafts. Many towns have such shops. some of the things are not cheap like the weather vane we bought in South East Habor Maine and had shipped to us.
One thing is every day since I installed it on the top of the pole barn I see it then remember our trip there.

Even our town which isn't by any means a tourist hot spot has such a shop. They sell painting of things in the area such as a round barn on about any thing you could want. Things like slate rock, many types of saws and saw blades. They have little stain glass sun catchers made in the shape of about any animal and insect in the area. There are the wood carvings peopls do includeing the big chain saw ones. there is much much more sold there too.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,956,472 times
We love going to the little stores and shops when we travel Michigan camping. I get sick when I pick up something that looks like it was made here and it says China on it...sick of that...

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,972,532 times
For me it is usually just photos and call it good. For the kids I will pick up something that strikes their fancy. I like to buy stuff made either in the local area, or at least in the US... a lot of times though that just isn't happening. Most things are cheap imports, and that just irks me.

Just a quick question on your weather vane, Northeast Harbor or Southwest Harbor? Lived in Maine for 20 years and cannot recall a Southeast Harbor that was a town (there is a Southeast Harbor that is a small part of a larger bay in the Stonington area. Both Northeast and Southwest Harbors are located on opposite sides of Somes Sound on Mount Desert Isle. Beautiful area that I went to a few times every year the entire time I lived in Maine.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Southeast Harbor was the place although I cannot remember the fellows name.
We had rode our motor cycle out there and was traveling from one place to another and saw his sign out by the road near a huge field of Lupines we had stoped to get pictures of. He had a little shop behind his house where he made them from different stuff. Ours is copper was some thing like $175.00 plus the shipping.

Al

Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM

27,767 posts, read 65,654,187 times
I love that butterfly house. They sell some really neat jewelry (not made in China) that is made with butterfly wings. It was too expensive for us, but we enjoyed looking at it. I generally do not buy trinkets on trips. We have enough junk in our house. For me a weather vane would be just one more project that I do not have time to get to. Pictures are nice if you remember to take some. Memories are nice too. Maybe pick up a pretty rock or shell on the beach, probably not, we have enough rocks and shells laying around already. Still I do like fiinding unique things that remind you of the trip. Usually you have to splurge to get something nice. We found a beautiful vase handmade at in Indian reservation in Arizona or new Mexico and paid a hefty sum, but we have a really unique and beautiful mantle decoration that everyone asks about and reminds us of that trip. It is nice, especially since that was a bit of an unusual trip and worth remembering.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

528 posts, read 784,876 times
I don't have a lot of memories of vacations, it was usually going to spend time with family, but I spent summers with my Aunt and Uncle in Northern California. My cousins and I rode bikes every night until dark, we would pinch nectarines for dessert from the guy down the road that had a huge (to me) orchard (I know! Bad me!). I went riding all summer with my best friend, we'd ride the horses to this quarry on hot days and her horse would just camp out in the cool water in the shade and let us use it as a diving board. As long as he could sit in the cool water, it could have cared less what else was going on.

With our kids we've mainly spent vacation times visiting family since our family on both sides is rather spread out, but my husband just accepted a new job where he'll be gone during the week. He'll lose his overtime, but being an FTE again he'll get ample vacation time and occasional comp time. He's worked from home for 6 years and the kids have all been homeschooled, so it's a huge change for them not to have him home all the time, so we're going to start taking some real vacations. Our oldest is 15. We've spent so many years funneling all our money into my healthcare, it's time. He's going to be on his own too soon, we need to spend the time together as a family, just relaxing, while we have the chance.

Have to say, with all the work we'll be doing while my husband is gone, I don't think I'll be sorry to see winter come again, it will be a chance for me to rest. I think by late January I'll be able to catch up on sleep.

Meanwhile, I sometimes dream of a nice little vacation place on Vashon to spend the dog days of summer.... One of the things I miss about Puget Sound. A hot day there is heavenly compared to most places in the US. The few steamy days in the mid-80s we've had here made me a little nervous for what summer may hold in store!

My new horse is finally here, now I just need to get the other one trained and used to the trails, and find a nice cool place to swim with the kids.... Nice way to spend their summer vacation.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 AM

9 posts, read 15,466 times
have a nice time!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM

My vacations away from home for more than a day or so started in the 1970's with fishing trips to Canada for a week in early July then a second trip in mid August at a different lake. I did that for over ten years with my brother and some times a friend or other relation. Lots of fish pictures in albums along with reels of super 8 movies. Then the place where I worked closed it's doors so I no longer had an income to use for a vaction. After being with out work and going to college on the Extention of the GI bill for 14 months I got a call from a old friend from Veit Nam days asking me to drive one of his reefer semis coast to coast. Not bad pay, never near home learned to hate the east coast and finally getting a job offer near home for more money I left the semi.
The new job was long hours at night with lots of perks like 5 weeks of vacation. A week of bow hunting with my now married brother in
Evart, a week of fire arm season also in Evart, A week of snowmobileing in the UPPER (Hulbert was our favorite place to stay.) and two weeks to help dad get the spring crops planted.
I started taking vactions out of state again after I got married. Lots of time camping and canoeing in the UPPER too. Trips to Maine on the motor cycle, some to Vermont and New Hamphire doing the covered bridge thing.
then we bought the place in the UPPER on Big Bay DeNoc after months of looking for a place on one bay or another from Wisconsin to Nubinway. havn't really left Michigan for a vacation since. I don't call going to seeing the daughter where ever she lives a vacation. Except for a smowmobileing trip to Minnesota where we rented a house on a lake so we could snowmobile for the week.

Al

Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,240,481 times
Vacations? , I would now have to call them traveling with or without a destination." It always was the going that was great, not the getting there."Harry Chapin coined that long ago now.Such a loss for all mankind.
My 25 years in old cars, coast to coast, borders and behond, Canada, Alaska,Mx. all left me with so many memories, a few awards,flags, etc. but it was what was left in my mind that I look back on these days.I traveled the slow lane, blue highways, often with the top down. WE saw a lot that other travelers did not.....it was the way to really go, and see North America, often more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan