U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM

362 posts, read 620,535 times

Advertisements

"It would be the poiticians that deserve the anger as they continue to raise their pay above and beyond their constituents average and they recieve retiremnt benefits after serving ONE term with LIFETIME medical.."

Only part of the above is true. You only have life time health benifits if you were elected before Nov 2010. They sure didn't want to crap in their own gravy boat.

Also some one mentioned above about teachers pay of 38K. If you think that is to much to pay a teacher who try to teach the children what about that bunch of court jesters in Lansing making twice as much for doing the crappy job they have did for the people of the state.

Not a thing wrong with trying some thing new.
(1. Try one house in Lansing instead of two saving a few million to fat cats. other states are done that way.

(2. Go to 6 month sessions and save the pay for the 6 months of vacation is seems they are on all the time. Other states work that way.

(3 leave the school funding as is and try the new ideas. those fat cat bussness don't need that big of a tax cut.

Of course that would be to simple wouldn't it.

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM

8,174 posts, read 12,142,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losethatsmile View Post
Ouch. No one asks to be born into poverty or a bad situation. Yes, it's the parents' responsibility to make sure that children are cared for. But this isn't utopia - a lot of parents just don't do their job, and some CAN'T because of financial situations. How is that a child's fault? Believe me, I don't want to pay for other peoples' idiotic mistakes any more than the next guy, but I am more than happy to see innocent children get the things they deserve. Food is expensive - and not everyone qualifies or even asks for public assistance. Health care is expensive - just try getting out of a doctor's office for less than $100, and that's without tests and other procedures! Private insurance is pretty expensive too - and good luck getting approved. As for counseling - an average therapist costs around $125 per appointment.
Food at school - free for low-income families. School nurse - free. School counselor/psychologist - free.
It's unfortunate to say, but many kids would go without these basic necessities if the school didn't provide them. By saying "It's the parent's responsibility, I'm not raising anyone else's kids," you're turning your back on the innocent child. Then you wonder why so many kids are screwed up. No one was there for them when their parents failed them.
But you're right. It isn't the school's "responsibility." No one HAS to be there for these kids. However, it IS the morally right thing to do. If you don't want to raise someone else's child, don't. It's your right. But then don't come crying to anyone else if your own children ever need something that you are unable to provide. I think that's only fair.
Generally I do agree. I am surrounded by conservatives at work who continually bang on about people who can't pay for kids shouldn't have them and that poor uneducated people keep having more kids than the educated etc. Makes me sort of sick. I have no problem helping those in unfortunate circumstances out.
But being poor does not mean you are bad parent. Poor people can are often are good parents.
And specifically - I don't see why the school system is involved in parenting or hosting federal/state or city programs to help families. Education should be happening at school. Parenting should be happening at home. Govt help programs should be happening off campus.
I heard a story on the radio about a program that taught parenting skills in NYC. Did seem to be having an impact and I thought sounded like the horse to back, start at the beginning so when kids go to school they are emotionally and physically ready to learn. I think teachers should be able to teach, not be responsible for parenting which is what is going on.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM

766 posts, read 1,448,046 times
Get rid of the fancy computer systems and the support personnel for them and maybe I'll have some sympathy for the school systems. None of this is necessary until maybe late high school. Also get rid of the Head Start program and the school breakfasts. All of this crap should go before any teachers are cut.

If teachers are laid off, start with those who teach nonessential subjects. It it doesn't fit into the reading, writing, or arithmetic categories -- it's not essential. Kids were better educated a hundred years ago when there was just a textbook, the blackboard, and a teacher. Modern schools have failed our children.

There's plenty of room to cut if the state doesn't mandate all of the nonessential crap. Teachers should be the last things that school systems cut rather than the first. Maybe the state should stop taking federal money so they have more control of the spending.

If I were the governor and received that letter, I'd cut the school budget even further.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM

8,174 posts, read 12,142,076 times
One thing I forgot to add is while I support helping kids whose parents are actively trying and good and involved but just can't quite get food on the table.....

I don't support encouraging everyone to have kids. We are a very very kid centric society. Understandable on the one hand. On the other there is so much abuse I can't but think that perhaps if we had more acceptance of people deciding to not have kids we wouldn't have so many people out there having kids who shouldn't.
People who don't have kids are looked at as freaks and ostracized. That needs to change.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM

6,365 posts, read 7,040,476 times
if you are putting together a time capsule, circa 2011, about what has gone terribly wrong in America, so that people 100 years hence (will they be here: look what we are doing to climate and environment.....and schools) will know the insanity of what we were all about, please include the superintendent's letter.

It says it all, doesn't it?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,812,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
One thing I forgot to add is while I support helping kids whose parents are actively trying and good and involved but just can't quite get food on the table.....

I don't support encouraging everyone to have kids. We are a very very kid centric society. Understandable on the one hand. On the other there is so much abuse I can't but think that perhaps if we had more acceptance of people deciding to not have kids we wouldn't have so many people out there having kids who shouldn't.
People who don't have kids are looked at as freaks and ostracized. That needs to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
if you are putting together a time capsule, circa 2011, about what has gone terribly wrong in America, so that people 100 years hence (will they be here: look what we are doing to climate and environment.....and schools) will know the insanity of what we were all about, please include the superintendent's letter.

It says it all, doesn't it?

So very true on both accounts..

Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,694,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
If teachers are laid off, start with those who teach nonessential subjects. It it doesn't fit into the reading, writing, or arithmetic categories -- it's not essential. Kids were better educated a hundred years ago when there was just a textbook, the blackboard, and a teacher. Modern schools have failed our children.
I've heard this parroted quite a bit, but I can't find any studies that actually support this sentiment, especially when you factor in all the additional information kids have to learn today which didn't even exist a hundred years ago. Do you have any links pointing to support for this statement?

Quote:
If I were the governor and received that letter, I'd cut the school budget even further.
Right, because vindictiveness is a quality we all should look for in our leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan