Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,481 times

Advertisements

Hi. This is my first post. This site was recommended to me by someone who knows my situation.

My husband and I are currently renting a house in Northport. Our landlords, however, are divorcing and are selling the house out from under us.

This is pretty devastating. We took a chance on moving up here March of last year (2010) and things had been going rather well when this was dropped on us.

We're not in a position to buy right now. Our credit is icky, and we had just consulted with a debt counselor and are (were) working on a plan to pay off our debts and start rebuilding our credit scores over the next 12-18 months. After that, we would be in a position to be able to get a mortgage.

We also have pets that we've had a long time and will not dispose of.

We've always managed to find landlords happy to rent to us. But we've always had much more time. The realtor was here yesterday and they have to have this house sold this summer. So we're in a panic. Today being the 26th, I don't think we'll be able to get into something by June 1st.

The landlady has assured us that we won't be thrown out on the street. She claims that even if they had an offer next week, the house will be in escrow for a couple months. The realtor yesterday (who was awesome, by the way) warned us that we could be given a notice to vacate and then have only 30 days. She didn't say this in a threatening way - just responding when I questioned her. She as yet has no idea how long it will take her to sell.

All of that is pretty moot at this point. We're not going to wait it out. We've looked at a few rentals, but thusfar things aren't panning out (only been looking seriously for about a week since the news was dropped on us).

I'm really frustrated because the only sources I'm finding to look for a new rental are Craigslist, the Record Eagle online, and the Leelanau News (Enterprise) online.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other ways we can look for rentals? We did talk to 3 different realtors about helping us find a rental. I'm doubtful that they'll be able to help because landlords that go through realtors usually are pretty strict about credit and pets.

We thought we wanted to stay on the Leelanau peninsula. But my husband works in Traverse City, so we're actually hoping to get something further south. We looked at a couple places in Interlochen yesterday and we really think that's the area we'd choose if we had the time to.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,481 times
So much for the awesome realtor. We're going to be given our 30 days notice to vacate any day now.

Panic. Ensues.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Here's a list of some available rentals.

Available Residential Rentals | Traverse Area Association of REALTORS® (http://www.taar.com/residential_rentals - broken link)

You may also want to consider looking for a home with a "land contract", aka.. rent to eventually own. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan