U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
558 posts, read 996,741 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in White Lake. My entire family all still reside in White Lake. Be glad white lake is over an hour drive to Detroit =) Pontiac is about 35, flint around 45, Ann Arbor about an hour. Holly is about 35 minutes away depending which parts of White lake. You can consider commerce, union Lake, and Walled Lake as housing alternatives close by.

White lake USED to be only rural..but up and down M59 ( aka Highland road/Huron Road) with the places like Walmart, Meijers, Kohls, Kmart, JcPennys, strip malls, etc it is more suburbs along M59..where was many years ago you had to drive 30 to Waterford or Pontiac to shop or the nearest Malls ( Great lakes Crossing is in Auburn Hills/ Pontiac or Novi town center ...both opposite directions around 30 drive.

I went to Lakeside HS and so did my kids. as well attended White Lake Middle . I was pleased with both the schools. Lakeland has come a long way since I attended.

Low crime, High On out door recreation ( all seasons, with state park, lakes, beaches, water park, and Ski Resort all located in White lake) , car dependent. Stay out of the trailer parks at all cost is my only suggestion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 60,393 times
It's been a few days since I've had a chance to check back here - but really appreciate all the replies. It continues to sound like the perfect setting for me. I'm throwing my application in and will see what happens. You guys are awesome!! Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,745,737 times
I learned how to ski at Alpine Valley (which is in White Lake Township).

Great town - lots of outdoor activities (skiing, swimming, boating, hiking). Crime isn't an issue.

It's close enough to Detroit - you could get there whever you wanted - it's still considered a suburb. Plus the outdoor concerts are mainly held at DTE Energy Music Theatre - which is just down the road in Auburn Hills/Clarkston.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 AM

7,311 posts, read 9,775,834 times
White Lake is a nice rural area in easy reach of not only Metro Detroit, but Ann Arbor and Lansing. You feel there like you're a million miles out in the sticks, but everything is less than an hour away. You're right next to Waterford, for instance, which has large dept stores, a vest-pocket "international" airport (chuckle), and a nice array of restaurants plus a multiplex cinema. Just beyond that is Pontiac with its nightclub district, hospitals and other signs of civilization. And then you hit Detroit.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Hello Again! Just thought I'd let you all know that I applied and got the job!! I'll be moving next month. Thanks so much for you help with this decision.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,745,737 times
Congrats on the new gig. You'll love it there. Where are you moving from?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM

88 posts, read 170,013 times
Default White Lake living

Your in for a treat. White Lake is rural with a twist of suburban. People are friendly and down to earth. Schools are excellent and outdoor activities are more and better than most. The economy in Michigan took a big hit in 08' but your starting to see some construction start ups. Show up with a smile and your good to go.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Thanks Belleislerunner! I'm moving down from rural Alaska.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Thanks Mook1244! I'm very excited about my move- can't wait! I've heard nothing but great things and I feel certain it's a great decision.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM

921 posts, read 1,785,041 times
I used to work in White Lake, and it's a nice area- you feel like you're in the city and the country all at the same time, or at least a hop-skip-& jump from either, lol. I worked for a company that was situated right on Cranberry Lake ( a little, cute lake), and I used to walk out and sit on the pier at lunch time...the people I worked with thought I was a bit daft, they would say, "My God, why is she sitting out there in that heat? Oh wait...she's from California, that explains it" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan