U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
 
615 posts, read 1,166,816 times
Reputation: 485

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
LOL the Global Warmingistas have REALLY outdone themselves with this one. Its one thing when they want to broadbrush everything and be vague, but when an article actually tries to "predict" actual weather for a certain location, those of us who davel in past weather data lick our chops when we can prove how foolish and totally unrealistic those predictions are.

Whats funny about the Chicago story though is that it reminds me SO much of an article I read back in the late 1990s about the "future" climate of Michigan and what global warming was going to do to the state. The article that I read some 12-13 years ago had the comparison that by the mid 21st century, southern Michigan winters would resemble present-day Kentucky and southern MI summers would resemble present-day Alabama/Georgia. It talked about how quickly summers would start to heat up on the way to these Georgia-like summers in the next 50 years (much like this arcticle implied Chicago may go from seeing 15 or less 90F+ days to 70+ days per year)..and GUESS WHAT...the very next decade after this RIDICULOUS story came out we ended up seeing the LEAST amount of summer heat in almost a century!

Total 90F+ days per decade at Detroit, MI since 1900
1900s- 56
1910s- 107
1920s- 100
1930s- 169
1940s- 160
1950s- 154
1960s- 111
1970s- 119
1980s- 127
1990s- 123
2000s- 102

And what a hoot! Winters in MI would resemble Kentucky? LOL since that article was written....FIVE of Detroits TOP 12 SNOWIEST WINTERS IN THE LAST 131 YEARS have occurred since 2003!!!

What about average seasonal snowfall per decade? Is it snowing less now than when Grandpa was a kid? No. Its snowing MORE.

Detroit averages seasonal snowfall per decade since 1900

1900s- 46.3"
1910s- 39.7"
1920s- 46.1"
1930s- 32.9"
1940s- 27.6"
1950s- 37.8"
1960s- 31.8"
1970s- 45.6"
1980s- 45.2"
1990s- 37.2"
2000s- 45.3"

Its also comical that they talk about certain species of trees in Chicago not surviving. LOL, summers were WAY hotter in the 1930s-1950s than they are today in this region...if trees survived then why on earth would they not survive now?

In summation: the only trend that the first decade of the 21st century has brought to local weather in SE MI has been less heat in the summer and more snow in the winter. Sounds like things are going the wrong way for those desperately trying to paint an alarmingly warmer future!
Not to take a stand on the global warming/climate change argument (I won't, too much advocacy research on both sides, no unbiased material), but, in Detroit's case, the recent data may reflect the move of the official weather station from Detroit to the DTW airport (further inland and away from the city's urban heat island) in 1966.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,409 posts, read 27,043,188 times
Reputation: 16531
I don't believe in the greenhouse gases causing global warming, I do believe that the earth's climates fluctuate. On another note, we won't see the change.

On an even better note, if Michigan turns into a tropical paradise due to global warming... everyone start spraying your aerosol bottles and revving your engines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Wyandotte, MI
364 posts, read 794,835 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Much of what you say can be the reverse. One of the reasons its now called climate change. Understanding our weather paterns is a somewhat new science
in the order of things. Those that have studyed the patterns also say some places will get colder others hotter.
That is true that some places may get colder, some hotter, no one knows exactly what will happen where many hundred years from now. But my point is this article actually is trying to pinpoint an exact area, Chicago (whose climate is very similar to S MI), and say they will get so much warmer in such a relatively short time, when in reality all the climate data/facts/stats of recent years compared to history all there to prove that this outrageous warming is a trend that is VERY CLEARLY NOT happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
That is true that some places may get colder, some hotter, no one knows exactly what will happen where many hundred years from now. But my point is this article actually is trying to pinpoint an exact area, Chicago (whose climate is very similar to S MI), and say they will get so much warmer in such a relatively short time, when in reality all the climate data/facts/stats of recent years compared to history all there to prove that this outrageous warming is a trend that is VERY CLEARLY NOT happening.
The Arctic is getting warmer.

Last edited by darstar; 07-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Santa Maria, CA
766 posts, read 1,446,316 times
Reputation: 651
If it is, it's not really affecting a whole lot of people up there. Maybe it's because humanity has actually cleaned up the atmosphere so much in the past 50 years that the sun is able to warm things more. If it's occurring, there's nothing that we can do to stop it. The people in MI would actually benefit from it; no real evidence that it's actually happening in MI though.

The planet's been much warmer than it is now. People will simply adapt and move where things are better. That's been the common-sense solution -- leave it to this generation to think that they can actually change the global climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Arctic is getting warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,225,904 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
If it is, it's not really affecting a whole lot of people up there. Maybe it's because humanity has actually cleaned up the atmosphere so much in the past 50 years that the sun is able to warm things more. If it's occurring, there's nothing that we can do to stop it. The people in MI would actually benefit from it; no real evidence that it's actually happening in MI though.

The planet's been much warmer than it is now. People will simply adapt and move where things are better. That's been the common-sense solution -- leave it to this generation to think that they can actually change the global climate.
Weather does run in cycles. There is a therey that you can predict future weather by studing the past weather. This could also be junk science. Then there is the Farmers Almanac....who knows.
I have see the weather be milder here in the UP for several years now.We do get most of our weather directly from Canada, not like the folks in lower Michigan......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 AM
 
166 posts, read 334,748 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
The planet's been much warmer than it is now. People will simply adapt and move where things are better.
The global population is doubling every 40 years. Right now, 7 billion. In 100 years, it's projected at 40 billion. I hope there are enough guest bedrooms prepared in Barrow, Alaska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top