U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,807,361 times

Advertisements

You stated you got your cna license out of state are you sure it can transfer to MI? You may want to look into that. Maybe start looking online at job websites and see what is being advertised in terms of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 AM

4,498 posts, read 7,763,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegrun View Post
It's not getting better, it's pretty much the same. We get a few jobs and the new media runs off to report how things are "picking-up" but what they don't mention is that those jobs are part-time and for minimum wage. Real jobs are few and far between and would likely go to locals anyway. My husband and I are looking to move out of Michigan right now. We have jobs, but there is virtually no chance of advancement. At my husband's job they have gotten rid of many people, they do not replace them though, they just have people take on more tasks to bridge the gap. At my job we are constantly short staffed by design to have the fewest amount of workers to have to pay.
If you are really set on moving back. Be sure to have a job already lined up.
You have just described most cities and states in the country right now. When we lived in AZ a couple of years it was exactly as you describe above, and in talking to friends who live in places like Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, and Richmond, VA, it is exactly the same there too. It's not like things are recovering miraculously everywhere else but Michigan and that Michigan is in a perpetual deep hole by itself or something.

This is not a one state recession. Michigan may have been hit hard in the manufacuturing segment, but there are more jobs here for RNs (I'm an RN), for example, than there are in many other parts of the country. The OP is a CNA. Assuming that her license transfers to Michigan or she can do so fairly easily, she will be able to find work. There is always a need for CNAs. If and when you leave Michigan, you should make sure that your job(s) are secure before you invest in a house or put down really deep roots. Just because you move to another state doesn't guarantee that companies there aren't downsizing and trying to save money everywhere that they can. It's the new American way, and it isn't limited to any one state.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM

275 posts, read 394,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
My brother in law lost his job a month ago...got a job a week later making lots more money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegrun View Post
It's not getting better, it's pretty much the same.
Disclaimer: Results may vary, and will be based on your individual experience, expertise, motivation, and external forces.

I saw these two posts one right after the other, and it struck me a bit funny.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,959,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Disclaimer: Results may vary, and will be based on your individual experience, expertise, motivation, and external forces.

I saw these two posts one right after the other, and it struck me a bit funny.
Lol...it really varies from person to person. For some people its just flat out easier to find a job or get promoted. Your right on with expertise, motivation, and other external...(and even internal) forces. Some people can go anywhere and do anything, while some could go anywhere and do nothing. Maybe its just destiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan