U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM

192 posts, read 434,272 times

Advertisements

Agree with the above posters. Midweek you should have no problems with no reservations. Weekends you should probably make them, as every weekend has some sort of festival or activities going on in the summer months. An example would be the last weekend of June in Ludington is the Gus Macker 3 on 3 Basketball tournament. The motels and campgrounds will be packed to accommodate 4,000 basketball players and their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Status: "Oh,you just become associated with so many crazies. Persson" (set 6 days ago)

8,706 posts, read 4,750,445 times
Good info Fripper.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM

1,399 posts, read 3,793,782 times
Towns with a significant tourism economy will be getting pretty busy by mid-June, hit the stride just before the 4th of July, and begin quieting down in the 3rd week of August.
During huge events like the Cherry Festival towns get very crowded, but other than that it's hardly an oppressive crowding situation. If you want quiet towns, come in May or early June.
Enjoy!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,978,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripper View Post
Agree with the above posters. Midweek you should have no problems with no reservations. Weekends you should probably make them, as every weekend has some sort of festival or activities going on in the summer months. An example would be the last weekend of June in Ludington is the Gus Macker 3 on 3 Basketball tournament. The motels and campgrounds will be packed to accommodate 4,000 basketball players and their families.
Good point about Macker, I totally forgot about it, mostly because I avoid town at all costs that week-end usually, so it is a non-entity for me. I always take the back way between Scottville and Ludington all Summer long anyway, and just have to adjust how to get out to the State Park (and 1st curve for swimming/sunning) that week-end .

Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM

76 posts, read 108,168 times
Things will start picking up next weekend, and probably double the following week.
Not sure how gas prices will affect travel this year, I've heard of many cancellations already. Seems people will still travel at around 250-300 miles but after that it's pretty sketchy.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Status: "Oh,you just become associated with so many crazies. Persson" (set 6 days ago)

8,706 posts, read 4,750,445 times
Pffff! 250 - 300 miles is a walk in the park comparede to what we are planning for summer of 2012. 3,000 miles + for our little survey trip. Oh, and the Frau has moved the time to third week in August, due to her projected work schedule. Thanks to all of you yoopers and wannabee yoopers for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
Things will start picking up next weekend, and probably double the following week.
Not sure how gas prices will affect travel this year, I've heard of many cancellations already. Seems people will still travel at around 250-300 miles but after that it's pretty sketchy.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM

76 posts, read 108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Pffff! 250 - 300 miles is a walk in the park comparede to what we are planning for summer of 2012. 3,000 miles + for our little survey trip. Oh, and the Frau has moved the time to third week in August, due to her projected work schedule. Thanks to all of you yoopers and wannabee yoopers for your help.
Well, hope by that time pump prices are a bit more friendly. I would have to think long and hard about cancelling any summer travel plans unless gas was closer to 5-5.50. Unfortunately, we may be heading that way soon. I know quite a few people with summer cottages/camps that are scaling back on weekend trips, instead of every week they are doing them every three or maybe less. Don't forget Michigan has the largest number of registered boats in the nation, puts a big damper on boating as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

6,052 posts, read 7,381,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
Well, hope by that time pump prices are a bit more friendly. I would have to think long and hard about cancelling any summer travel plans unless gas was closer to 5-5.50. Unfortunately, we may be heading that way soon. I know quite a few people with summer cottages/camps that are scaling back on weekend trips, instead of every week they are doing them every three or maybe less. Don't forget Michigan has the largest number of registered boats in the nation, puts a big damper on boating as well.

I thought Florida had more boats?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,978,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought Florida had more boats?
It goes back and forth. One year MI has more registered boat's the next FL has more. Makes sense really, both are the only states that are entirely peninsulas.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,957,720 times
We got um by one boat this year I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan