U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,801,827 times

Advertisements

I think MI has wonderful summers. At least when it does get hot and humid it is only for a short period plus the nights cool off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,627,877 times
Quote:
Awe....we've had so much rain, I think we've added a few hundred lakes to our state, and are bringing up the water levels in our bigger ones!
Funny that you mention this... I drove by some huge ponds that had formed in farmers' fields a couple of days ago with my windows down, and they actually had a "lake" smell. It was crazy!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,865,173 times
Lakes have a smell?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM

271 posts, read 586,027 times
Ponds in fields... stagnant water... definitely has a smell.

But one thing I notice when it rains a lot quickly... it smells like fish. Probably because the water got picked up from the lake and dropped so quickly.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,447,154 times
I'll take our mid 90's in southern NM with the low dew points over any hot weather in MI where the dew point climbs to the 60's-70. It seems like almost any time it gets hot in MI you have high humidity because of all of the water. The heat index really tells the true story.

In general though, MI summers are some of the best in the country.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM

362 posts, read 620,181 times
So what did all ya heat loven $^^^@%^^(*%$# do on Tuesday in the record breaking heat and the nearly as hot Wednesday heat.
Don't remember hearing about any deaths because of the snowand cold last winter. they anounced 3 deaths so far from the lasttwo days heat.

Yesterday at my house.

Al

Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,754,813 times
Well, if you have air conditioning, then this is no different than staying indoors and running the furnace when the temp is 5 degrees in January, is it? You just stay inside, drink plenty of liquids, and use common sense. At least with this type of extreme weather you don't need to pile on layers of clothing to go anywhere, the sun is shining, the grass and trees are green and lush, and you aren't going to slide off the road or get stuck in a snow drift. Like I said, I've waited all year for this. Bring on the heat!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 PM

271 posts, read 586,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
So what did all ya heat loven $^^^@%^^(*%$# do on Tuesday in the record breaking heat and the nearly as hot Wednesday heat.
Don't remember hearing about any deaths because of the snowand cold last winter. they anounced 3 deaths so far from the lasttwo days heat.

Yesterday at my house.

Al
Well Tuesday I drove downstate and back with the windows open partway and no AC, went for ice cream, went to the pool for a bit, unloaded some metal junk in preparation for the scrapyard. Wednesday I dropped off the trailer I borrowed and did some needed rewiring on it, and started assembling a bbq grille. No garage, all done outside in the nice weather.

Today has been a heavy shirt day for me.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 AM

362 posts, read 620,181 times
Tuesday I got a swarm call so was in the sun for several hours. Even the bees didn't like the hot sun as they clustered so loose they kept falling. Normally I can just cut the branch they are on and carry them down the ladder to place in the hive. Every time the branch jiggled a bit they fell and I had to wait for them to reform on a branch.

I was soaking wet by the time I got them ready to travel.
If you looked at the above picture you should have seen I do not have air. It wasn't even 10F cooler in the house Nor was the humidity 10 points lower in the house.

I would much rather wear a few layers of clothing to go out side and have a good time in the fall/winter than try to stay alive in these extreame temps. I don't sit inside all winter moaning the fact the temps are lower than 50F. I go out and have some fun.
I don't slide in ditches as I learned how to drive in snow and ice when I was a young kid in northern Michigan. I never try to drive the same speed in the bad road conditions as I see so many trying to do as they do in the summer.

Al

Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,754,813 times
Yeah, Al, I did see that you don't have air. IDK, everyone's different, and if I lived as far north as you do maybe I would feel differently, but to me, AC in the summer is just as important as having central heat in the winter, especially since AC is relatively easy to get, what with window units and all. No temperature extremes are good, especially if you can't get respite from them by going indoors. Again, though, I can see why you could go without AC in the UP if you only get a few 90+ degree days a year, and yeah, I would hate it too if I didn't have AC, just as I would hate a ten degree day in January if I didn't have central heat. Even here in the extreme LP though, it's nice to have the AC on when it's in the 80s and humid as all get out, because it takes the humidity out of the house. I think the humidity is the worst of it, not the high temps.

Sometimes, especially during periods of freezing rain, you can be the best and most cautious driver on the road and still end up in a ditch because of black ice or glazing that you couldn't see until you were on top of it. I am a very slow, cautious driver in bad winter weather. One night last winter, I was driving home from work on 23 south of Ann Arbor doing about 20-25 mph with semis and other cars blowing around me at speeds of 50+ mph, even as we were getting a 4" snow cover. I made it home just fine, only to turn into our subdivision and hit an 8" deep drift on our street that I couldn't see because the street hadn't been plowed yet and it was impossible to gauge the depth of the snow. I drive a Ford Fusion, so it took me, my son, and three neighbor guys to push my car out of that. That's what I'm talking about. Some things just can't be avoided. This time of year, no worries!

Last edited by canudigit; 06-10-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or