U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,427,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Do you hate your current job (or just the fact that it's away from family/friends)? If you like supply chain management/logistics - you probably couldn't ask for a better area to work than Metro Detroit.

You have Ford, GM and Chrysler who are all back in full hiring mode. You have the large logistic companies in Metro Detroit (Con-Way Freight, Universal Truckload, England Logistics, Centra etc). You graduated from a great school and you have 2-3 years of experience - you'd be in a perfect position for any headhunter to get you in to those shops.

Move back to Michigan - get in touch with some headhunters - they're free. Once you're in Michigan for a couple months - you can decide if it's the career you hate - or you may have found a promising job/position with upward mobility. I think it will be easier (and better judgement) to make the decision relative to the Air Force once you're back in Michigan (i.e. you can more accurately see if a new career is what you want or if you just want the solid friendships/relationships that come from grilling/BBQ'sing with friends, Tiger games etc).
I don't necessarily hate my job. It's pretty laid back. I'm just with a very poorly managed company that has given its employees very little opportunity for advancement over its fifteen year existence. And logistics seems pretty dead out here. I check the job boards from time to time and there are only a few new jobs listed each week. OTOH, I checked out Ryder's website last night and there were five pages full of positions listed for Michigan. Compare that to only five positions listed for the whole state of Colorado.

Honestly, I think Colorado is in for a tough road ahead, probably more so than Michigan. Too many people have moved here from California and the Midwest, causing rents to become too expensive, at least for me and my current salary. Also, I don't think UMich's reputation is that big around here, so my degree is not helping me that much. It's all about CU and CSU around here.

I miss my family more than anything. I miss going to family reunions, the family BBQs, the Tigers' games, the Wings' games. My sister just had a baby, and I hardly get to see her. My grandparents' health is not getting much better, so I want to be able to see them more before it's too late. Not to mention, my parents are approaching their 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,957,720 times
You said CO has vast outdoor opportunities...but you never say you miss that about Michigan. Moving back here would give you just as much to do in the out-of-doors.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
You said CO has vast outdoor opportunities...but you never say you miss that about Michigan. Moving back here would give you just as much to do in the out-of-doors.
One thing I love about CO is the large network of bike trails in the Denver Metro, not to mention the rest of the state. Honestly, I left Michigan before I could really get into cycling as a hobby, but that is something I hope I can find there.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,868,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Too many people have moved here from California and the Midwest, causing rents to become too expensive, at least for me and my current salary.
That is one reason why I was ready and able to leave Colorado...between 1990 and 2000 metro Denver doubled in size, acres of prairie and foothills were disappearing under a sprawl of tacky subdivisions every week (hello Highlands Ranch) and the quality of living was, IMO, dipping fast with the huge influx of people.

Outdoorsy opportunities aren't as readily available here BUT there's still plenty! Depending where you are...but generally there isn't much of an outdoorsy/active culture here, so the up-side is trails and so on tend to be much less congested.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM

60,566 posts, read 85,693,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Move to Chicago (or another nearby city). You'll be close enough to visit weekends and it's a change of scenery.
I was going to say what about cities like Buffalo, Cleveland or Columbus?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say what about cities like Buffalo, Cleveland or Columbus?
Cleveland??? I could see Columbus, but not so much Cleveland. Part of me wanting to come back to Metro Detroit is because I would have a place to stay with my parents while I get situated. This will be particularly beneficial if I don't have a job right away.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM

60,566 posts, read 85,693,889 times
Just to let you know, I actually joined the Army after college under the Loan Repayment program. I am free from that debt, but I did have to pay taxes back a couple of years due to the payments counting as income, eventhough you don't see that money. I had to pay on the interest too.

I was stationed an hour and 15 minutes from my hometown and it wasn't bad. I was there during 9/11 and considering that my unit is one of the most deployed in the Army, if not the military, I thought that I was going to go overseas. Interestingly, I didn't have to go and got out just in time before some of my friends did. I was supposed to go to Kosovo, but was pulled back from that. I would go home pretty much every weekend I could, if not everyday for periods at a time.

They say the Army has the best benefits in the military, supposedly.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,805,303 times
I am from MI and moved to FL 2 years ago but am thinking of moving back to MI next year as well. I also have family there,cost of living is better,safer etc. My thoughts for you is just to make sure you are not just home sick could you visit for a few weeks? I know it is not the same as living there but may give you an idea. You can look at places to live,maybe go on an interview,etc.
Good luck in what ever choice you make

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

76 posts, read 108,160 times
Whatever decision you make sounds like you will be packing your bags and moving somewhere in 30 days. I lived in the Denver burbs for awhile, but that was back in the mid eighties. I enjoyed it, but knew it was temporary and never got the feeling I could be a part of the town with all of my family from Michigan (both UP and LP). You are not tied down to a house you cannot sell, and from what you've said you don't have any extraordinary bills other than what is pretty normal (student loans and car payment). No kids in school to consider, or spouse with a job so your living basically with no strings. You could try coming back to find a job, and if it doesn't work out sounds like you have another plan with the military. So as I understand it your decision is probably 2-fold, do you move back, look for a job and then? Or, if you decided to join the military you won't have to think about where you will be living the next several years. So if I understand correctly your decision is to move back to Michigan to find a job or join the military (career decisions). I see things haven't changed much in 25 years, you're right about the CU/UM equation. My experience 25 years ago was very similar.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM

766 posts, read 1,447,638 times
Rule 1: Don't quit a good job without having another.

This is especially true when the economy sucks like it does now.
If I were you, I"d probably start looking for work in Colorado Springs if I got sick of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or