Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,987 times

Advertisements

I think your situation might be an exception the rule if you have parental units you can fall back on.

If your heart isn't in staying in CO, don't stay. You will just be unhappy. Take a leap of faith and head home. Life is too short.

BUT .. for logistics, DON'T rule out places in Ohio. Lots of trucking (larger variety than auto industry) and my personal experience is Cleveland is a fun place to live. Only a 4 hour drive from Detroit, and you can still catch Tigers when they are in town playing the Indians. Plenty of outdoor things to do in eastern OH. Great local breweries. I really enjoyed living in Cleveland and would go back if I had the opportunity.

Logistics: from what I understand, Ryder has the tendency to post a lot of jobs that they either 1) won't fill, or 2) will fill and then layoff. The list of job postings can be deceiving. (I applied and interviewed for Ryder positions in Lansing, MI several years ago; heard their reputation from others I knew already working in the logistics industry). This is hearsay, but worth researching.

Overall, as a 30yr old and still working on my own career.. If I had the financial freedom to lay low with the parents for a bit and wasn't happy living so far away, I'd take the leap of faith and see what could come of going back. If anything, you'll meet some great people on the mountain biking trails throughout MI (Check out MMBA for a list of trails). If nothing came of it and I still couldn't land a job, I'd then consider my options for military. Coast Guard would be my first pick, AF second. As having finished college, you have the ability to jump into officer's school. The bonus about the military is the retirement if you can commit the career time. If you're able to retire in 20yrs, you just earned more freedom once you hit your mid-40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Rule 1: Don't quit a good job without having another.

I totally disagree with this If you are good at what you do thats an impression within itself. I think if you apply yourself you can find a job anywhere even in this economy.

I quit a job paying me well but I was unhappy and depressed. Blood pressure hit the roof. I just quit. I couldnt take it anymore.

Anyway I had another job within a month...so that is soooo not true.

Please dont put your whole life on hold because of a job. All it does is pay the bills but if you are unhappy you will be in your grave before you know it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM

358 posts, read 1,063,170 times
Michigan is not booming but there are jobs. Housing is pretty cheap. You don't have a lot of financial obligations so you are mobile.

I would give it a try and move back near where your family lives. If you don't find a job quickly, maybe open up your search area to Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. You might be surprised how things have been improving in Michigan.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I was visiting family in Grand Rapids over the holiday, and the city really has changed a lot for the better since I grew up there. Lots of new tech/health research industries bringing and keeping the right kind of people and jobs in the area, places that used to be the 'hood are gentrifying, and they've got more rails to trails options that just about any other area if its size.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I'd move to Arizona.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
forget $, life is about people, be with family.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
forget $, life is about people, be with family.
Family and Michigan...what more could you want.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Family and Michigan...what more could you want.
Exactly.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I would say move home. I am originally from MI and moved away 3 yrs ago. I am actually better off not being by family but I know that lots of people really miss being close to theirs. I say go for it. You are young, low debt and have the support of your family. Worst case scenario you have to relocate somewhere else for a job. Get packing.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Quote:
Hello all,

The title says it all. I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but if you need more details to provide advice, let me know. Three years ago, upon graduating from U of M, I moved out to Denver, CO. For the past three years, I've enjoyed Colorado's great weather and vast outdoor activities. I was also fortunate enough to land a job working in supply chain management for a F500 client. As much as I've enjoyed it here, I long for my friends and family back in Metro Detroit. I want to be part of their lives before I wind up being that guy who forgot about his family until he was drawn back due to a close relative's funeral and realized that his life was always there. I also long for career/life advancement opportunity, that of which I do not believe exists here because of my current financial constraints. I've tried asking for a transfer with my current company, but they do not have anything for me in the Midwest. So, to expedite my need to make a decision on what I'm going to do next, the property manager of our apartment gave us notice to vacate the building in 30 days. Apparently they want to make them into luxury condos. Either way, as of June 30th, I am homeless.

As if this were some sort of edge-of-your-seat plot of an epic Hitchcock thriller flick, I now have 30 days to decide what I am going to do. There are a few options I am considering and I realize, depending on your ages, I will probably receive a variety of opinions. I am trying to keep an open mind and hopefully some of your feedback will stick with me. Here are the options I am currently considering:

1) Pack it up and move back to Michigan. Yeah, sounds crazy, right? But as crazy as me packing it up and moving to Colorado (where I had no friends/family/job mind you) in the summer of 2008? Hmmm... I would have no job lined up, but I could also live with my parents until I worked something out. My only commitment as of now is a $300/month student loan payment. Sad, but true. My Verizon contract is also over in mid-June. I have a $200/month car payment, but since I owe much less than the car is worth, I could probably sell it to reduce overhead. IMO, this is the riskiest of options, but it is also what I want most.
You should go back to Michigan as reading your post this is what you express most desire in doing. You can stay with your parents while looking for a job in Michigan, also the move could actually help you decided if you really want to go back home or just move a little closer.

Quote:
Come on home. If you want to make it work bad enough...you'll find a way. I am 100% positive I could make it just fine anywhere in the country if I wanted to move...its all about wanting it bad enough and not letting anything stop you.
Agree it depends on how bad you want to move to Michigan or stay in Colorado. For your situation it seems simple as you can live with your parents in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan