U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM

6,048 posts, read 7,364,920 times

Advertisements

The first batch of line workers making $14 per hour started at Chrysler's Jefferson North assembly plant in spring, 2010. This group was gone within 6 months. When you can work at Lowes or Home Depot for almost the same money but with less stress, hassle, commute time, etc. why stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,854,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Because they can.
Exactly. That's why I support keeping tight government regulations on corporations -- to take the "because they can" option away from them.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The first batch of line workers making $14 per hour started at Chrysler's Jefferson North assembly plant in spring, 2010. This group was gone within 6 months. When you can work at Lowes or Home Depot for almost the same money but with less stress, hassle, commute time, etc. why stay?
Really? The line workers at the Chrysler engine plant here in Dundee make around $15/hr. and they are hanging in there. I guess it's all in how you look at what you have. Wasn't Chrysler's Jefferson North plant also the one where Fox 2 News caught and filmed a bunch of the employees smoking dope and drinking beer on their lunch breaks and a lot of them either quit to avoid discipline or got fired? Maybe it wasn't just the lower hourly rate after all...

Also, one of our son's young friends just got hired at the local Lowe's store recently and he is making around $8/hr. $14/hr. is almost double that, I can't imagine that someone would leave a company like Chrysler to work minimum wage retail, but I guess that stranger things have happened.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 7,364,920 times
This isn't much in Dundee besides Cabelas.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
No, but we're only 20 min. from Ann Arbor or Toledo, and 15 min. from Monroe, so most people in Dundee work in one of those towns. Dundee is more of a place to hang your hat and commute elsewhere to work. Still, those are decent jobs at the Chrysler engine plant compared to working somewhere like Cabela's or Applebee's.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Ninety-one dollars an hour is excessive, but I still think the Big Three should pay more than $14 an hour. I agree that the unions needed to make concessions on pay, but I still support a living wage for automotive employees. Paying your workers more leads to increased quality -- I don't see anything wrong with paying people a little more than market rates. I don't see $14 an hour as a living wage for some people. A single, childless person would do fine, but a person with kids, mortgage payments, etc. would struggle to get by on that pay.

Also, why don't CEOs and executives ever consider cutting their own salaries when their businesses are in trouble? Why do they always have to screw the little guy over?
It can be livable for a family if they know how to manage money instead of wasting it on homes they won't even use half the space for living.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,208,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
It can be livable for a family if they know how to manage money instead of wasting it on homes they won't even use half the space for living.
Excellent point. I think living in a McMansion is the dumbest thing ever. Even if you have the money to do it, you don't know if that money is always going to be there. And it's entirely cost-inefficient. I'm happy living in a studio apartment quite frankly, as long as it's in the right place (upscale, urban). For what I will pay to live on Lake Michigan with no home maintenance is a mere pittance compared to these folks chained to their lawnmowers in a depressed area. Plus, I don't have to have a car. I think more people are starting to figure out how great your life can be without spending a lot of money and the whole idea of the 'American Dream' is totally changing. But then again, I'm not married or tied down with kids. That would be a game-changer to a certain extent without a doubt. I don't dream of a white picket fence, a shiny minivan in the driveway, or 2.3 kids. I dream of waking up Saturday morning without any worry about how my living space looks other than basic cleaning and maintenance of the interior and spending my time doing the things I actually WANT to do. Some people may hate me for it, but I seriously don't care. It's the new trend, folks, and it's where things are headed.

I think it's a good thing for the country but like all good things, change comes slowly. When we start to respect oil and realize how critical it is to our survival as a people we will understand the value of green city living/anti-sprawl and see it as a buffer against that threat to our national security. I don't mean to bash people with mortgages and kids, sorry. I'm just saying it isn't for me. Well, actually I have disdain for those who think their worth is tied to their possessions and the cookie-cutter toxic cultures that permeate certain segments of our country (your wealth is not true if it's measured in American currency alone BTW). But that is another issue. The whole point of this is that you should most certainly always live BELOW your means, and sock the money away for a rainy day. My grandmother understood that having survived a very rough upbringing in the 1930s. I sit with her often and listen to her wisdom over coffee. She has plenty of money but you would never know it. Still hides gold and silver coins all over the house, coffee cans with $100s wrapped in their false bottoms. She makes more sense than just about anyone I know because she knows how to survive no matter what. Learned early to never trust the banks, it always carried with her. Which is why, even with the stupid FDIC assurance (a very FAKE assurance) I don't trust them either. I use them as a means to an end, view them as the enemy and a national disgrace. Beyond that they are worthless.

People may come here and think I'm this crazy naive liberal chick. But these are also the same people who probably complain that we are too complacent. I for one am not, and am ready to put my life on the line if need be to get the country running right. It's not about me and my selfish little life, it's about the future of the children and grandchildren of this place. I shudder to think what life will be like for them with the way things are going. That doesn't mean the military LMAO btw not at all. That's just war profiteering for the wrong reasons. What I am talking about is going straight to Wall Street, an area I know well. I think it's day will come if we all balls-up and become real Americans again. No Republican OR Democrat will do it for you. They are both evil, as far as I'm concerned. The good lies within us, the regular people. Keep your lines of contact fluid and never trust anything you hear on a screen. It's mostly horse crap, filtered and watered down to you. We need a revolution Facebook-style. If the government tries to stop it I hope regular folks are smart enough to put 2-and-2 together and not retreat in fear. If we do this I may actually start waving the flag again as if I actually mean it.

I just think of the big-shot bankers, stripped naked, hung and covered in blood. That is enough to make me smile because it is just what those ass clowns deserve. We didn't prosecute them for their crimes. I could see that being used in court. If they go free why shouldn't the people who put them down seeing how badly they destroyed our once prosperous country and took us down with it? It feels like justice, and it feels right. And when things get bad enough (which they will shortly) you won't see me as a crazy liberal chick. Just like I won't see you as a person making us more vulnerable nationally due to your sprawl and the oil dependence that comes with it, or whatever dumb issue it may be. At that point I believe we will get on the same page. The thing that is sad to ask is: At what cost will that happen? Keep watching Dancing With the Stars, Youtube videos of cats sneezing. Folks who know enough about history call this 'the bread and circus'. And it won't go on much longer, even if we do raise the debt ceiling. The issues are structural.

Solutions for America:

Stop making it legal to see corporations as people (they are not people)

Stop making it legal to see money as speech (money is not speech)

Use a means-test on welfare recipients, squeeze the fraud and excess out of the system and let these people work a day in their lives, the fools

Stop giving tax breaks to the corporations we are in bed with

Actively force the populace to look to one another to vote. If you don't vote the view should be you aren't much better than a degenerate, and deserve mockery

Bring back local communities. Stop living as strangers. That was all designed and you fell for it.

Stop putting value in fake wealth. Wise up, learn what true wealth is.

Stop pretending we can be prosperous without manufacturing. We cannot rely on service and repacking assets that weren't worth jack **** to begin with.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-01-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,854,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Excellent point. I think living in a McMansion is the dumbest thing ever. Even if you have the money to do it, you don't know if that money is always going to be there. And it's entirely cost-inefficient. I'm happy living in a studio apartment quite frankly, as long as it's in the right place (upscale, urban). For what I will pay to live on Lake Michigan with no home maintenance is a mere pittance compared to these folks chained to their lawnmowers in a depressed area. Plus, I don't have to have a car. I think more people are starting to figure out how great your life can be without spending a lot of money and the whole idea of the 'American Dream' is totally changing. But then again, I'm not married or tied down with kids. That would be a game-changer to a certain extent without a doubt. I don't dream of a white picket fence, a shiny minivan in the driveway, or 2.3 kids. I dream of waking up Saturday morning without any worry about how my living space looks other than basic cleaning and maintenance of the interior and spending my time doing the things I actually WANT to do. Some people may hate me for it, but I seriously don't care. It's the new trend, folks, and it's where things are headed.
THIS!!!! I'm also childfree-by-choice, and I totally agree with you about the McMansions. I wasn't even talking about families who spend beyond their means, I was just talking about families in general, especially single parents. $14 per hour is $29,120 per year, and that's before taxes. Assuming an unmarried person has two children and a $550/month housing (mortgage or rent) payment, it would still be very tough to pay for the basics such as food (for three), gas (for transportation to/from work) and clothing. That isn't even factoring in other possible expenses such as student loans (if any), car repair, medical emergencies, etc. This family may be able to squeeze by on the $14 per hour salary, but it would be VERY tough. More than likely, they would end up on food stamps or some other form of government aid. And before you scream "irresponsible unmarried parents!!!," keep in mind that many single parents are that way due to factors beyond their control -- the death of a spouse, domestic violence, even rape.

Quote:
I think it's a good thing for the country but like all good things, change comes slowly. When we start to respect oil and realize how critical it is to our survival as a people we will understand the value of green city living/anti-sprawl and see it as a buffer against that threat to our national security. I don't mean to bash people with mortgages and kids, sorry. I'm just saying it isn't for me. Well, actually I have disdain for those who think their worth is tied to their possessions and the cookie-cutter toxic cultures that permeate certain segments of our country (your wealth is not true if it's measured in American currency alone BTW). But that is another issue. The whole point of this is that you should most certainly always live BELOW your means, and sock the money away for a rainy day. My grandmother understood that having survived a very rough upbringing in the 1930s. I sit with her often and listen to her wisdom over coffee. She has plenty of money but you would never know it. Still hides gold and silver coins all over the house, coffee cans with $100s wrapped in their false bottoms. She makes more sense than just about anyone I know because she knows how to survive no matter what. Learned early to never trust the banks, it always carried with her. Which is why, even with the stupid FDIC assurance (a very FAKE assurance) I don't trust them either. I use them as a means to an end, view them as the enemy and a national disgrace. Beyond that they are worthless. People may come here and think I'm this crazy naive liberal chick. But these are also the same people who probably complain that we are too complacent. I for one am not, and am ready to put my life on the line if need be to get the country running right. It's not about me and my selfish little life, it's about the future of the children and grandchildren of this place. I shudder to think what life will be like for them with the way things are going. That doesn't mean the military LMAO btw not at all. That's just war profiteering for the wrong reasons. What I am talking about is going straight to Wall Street, an area I know well. I think it's day will come if we all balls-up and become real Americans again.
No arguments here. I could absolutely survive on $29,120 per year (I've done it with far less), but I'm single, childfree, have minimal debt and live a very frugal lifestyle. Wall Street and the big corporations are sucking us dry, and we're just sitting back and taking it.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,208,330 times
I understand completely that not all single parents became that way by choice. If someone was abused or treated wrong, if anything my heart goes out to them. They should not be cut off the assistance as quicky as Pro-Rolanda with her six kids by five babydaddies. Which is why I say simply means-test it. It will not cut off these poor souls if done in a proper and ethical way.

And I know most people are on the same side I am on. I mean, I'm nothing special. I just serve as a voice, trying to make it clear how we need to rise to action. I don't believe most folks here are dumb. But I do think we've been shafted and we need to rise up and speak loudly about it, by any method possible. If our voice alone isn't enough, perhaps we really should look to other alternatives. I know I've been screaming for almost three years now and the worst part was feeling like not a dang person heard me. If all I have to look forward to is potential bankruptcy I don't know if I want to live anymore. Multiply me by tens of millions and you've got an army.

I'll take myself out for patriotic purposes before I ever leave selfishly. And that is a REAL American for you, or at least the person I want to be. I cannot respect myself taking the easy way out. It will be for your grandchildren if it comes down to that. I am a good person, and I want this country back even if I have to be wrapped up in a flag for it. My life is nothing compared to having people effin' waking up already. If I could be even a small fraction in making others see it would be worth it. We cannot sit here like this anymore. We NEED to be honest, be strong, stop taking it up the ass already. Aren't you mad as hell? I know I am. But that doesn't mean I have to take it out on my neighbor. They are a victim in this as much as myself. Most of them anyway. And the ones that aren't are so goddamn clueless it's enough to make me sick. But they are the minority as most people got popped pretty hard. And when they tried to stand back all pretty I just think most of that's appearances anyway. Bunch of fake ass ******* drowning in debt pretending they're better than me. LOL, as if. I'll keep rocking out my same handbag from 2009 while you throw your dumbass self at the banks. Meanwhile I keep getting better off. It doesn't mean crap. None of these *******s matter to me in any true sense of the word. They were always after the wrong things. Which is why McMansions suck to begin with. So fake lol, it sucks based on that alone. If I wanted to have the Kardashian life I would've just spread my damn legs already. Not all of us ******* are like that. Some people actually want TRUE wealth and absolutely nothing to do with that bull****.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-01-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,948,839 times
Rep for EBDC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or