Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I saw this clip profiled on the Today show this morning and thought it was really, really cool. Grand Rapids getting some national exposure!

Earlier this year, Grand Rapids was listed as #10 in a top ten list of America's dying cities (America's Dying Cities - Newsweek). The residents of GR responded like this: Grand Rapids Lip Dub Goes Viral [YOUTUBE VIDEO].

How cool is that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
I love it!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Great PR for the city but how many jobs did it permanently create?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Great PR for the city but how many jobs did it permanently create?
Ha! Exactly.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
Miserably amateurish article, many mistakes:

Using 2009 population figures that were really nothing more than guesses. Detroit's population was overestimated by nearly 200k and Detroit really takes #1 on the list (yes, it lost a larger percentage of its population in the 201st decade than New Orleans).

Eastman Kodak, despite being much smaller and weaker than it was a decade ago, neither went out of business nor left Rochester.

The factor of family maturation was not taken into account. In fact, a city that keeps its under 18 population may be more of a dying city than one that loses it - if the economy stinks, the unemployed can't leave the parental home. If the economy is good, they have jobs and move to the suburbs or another area.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Miserably amateurish article, many mistakes:

Using 2009 population figures that were really nothing more than guesses. Detroit's population was overestimated by nearly 200k and Detroit really takes #1 on the list (yes, it lost a larger percentage of its population in the 201st decade than New Orleans).

Eastman Kodak, despite being much smaller and weaker than it was a decade ago, neither went out of business nor left Rochester.

The factor of family maturation was not taken into account. In fact, a city that keeps its under 18 population may be more of a dying city than one that loses it - if the economy stinks, the unemployed can't leave the parental home. If the economy is good, they have jobs and move to the suburbs or another area.
Yeah, I think that's why Newsweek distanced themselves so quickly. Shoddy methodology. But I thought Grand Rapids had a great response--even if it didn't create a lot of jobs. It took a lot of spine to do that and it created a national conversation about standing tall when times are tough.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
And besides the usual Michigan potholes that could swallow a Yugo whole, the city looks like a vibrant and well-kept place, even when they upll back and show the big panorama of downtown at the end.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Grand Rapids dying? Not something I'm inclined to believe. There are alot of places in much worse shape than Grand Rapids.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And besides the usual Michigan potholes that could swallow a Yugo whole, the city looks like a vibrant and well-kept place, even when they upll back and show the big panorama of downtown at the end.
One of the biggest jobs of Grand Rapids' Downtown Alliance is to go around and pick up trash. I mean, a crew of guys out EVERY DAY sweeping up things as small as cigarette butts into dustpans, just like they do at Disney and Cedar Point. I heard once how much trash they pick up every year and it was astounding.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
One of the biggest jobs of Grand Rapids' Downtown Alliance is to go around and pick up trash. I mean, a crew of guys out EVERY DAY sweeping up things as small as cigarette butts into dustpans, just like they do at Disney and Cedar Point. I heard once how much trash they pick up every year and it was astounding.
It sounds like there are many people who care about Grand Rapids and see it as their community, and all the more willing to make sure it's clean. I wish some people would do that in Kennesaw. Maybe I wouldn't run over broken glass and other debris on my bicycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan