U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,246,127 times
Reputation: 2777

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You're kind of right. On any given day, Raleigh is 10-15 degrees warmer than West Michigan. It means the winters are sunny and cool (think November for 4 months) but the summers are BRUTAL! That's why even though I came to like NC, I could never get used to spending my summer breaks indoors. It's so boring--especially when the sun's shining.
You did not go far enough west in NC. I lived 90 miles southwest of Ashville for 18 years, and seldon needed AC. ( 120 miles north of Atlanta). Fact is , the winters were colder than Michigan, with the spikes in negative numbers.( no bugs ether) We did not have the lakes to moderate the temps like in MI. The other good thing was the winters were shorter in NC., than here in da UP., and yes there was plenty of wet snow, and little equipment to move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,235 posts, read 8,643,283 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally posted by darstar
You did not go far enough west in NC. I lived 90 miles southwest of Ashville for 18 years, and seldon needed AC. ( 120 miles north of Atlanta). Fact is , the winters were colder than Michigan, with the spikes in negative numbers.( no bugs ether) We did not have the lakes to moderate the temps like in MI. The other good thing was the winters were shorter in NC., than here in da UP., and yes there was plenty of wet snow, and little equipment to move it.
You're right. It is much cooler up in the mountains. I was up by Blowing Rock--an hour north of Asheville--last weekend and it was so much better than in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,873,061 times
Reputation: 3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You did not go far enough west in NC. I lived 90 miles southwest of Ashville for 18 years, and seldon needed AC. ( 120 miles north of Atlanta). Fact is , the winters were colder than Michigan, with the spikes in negative numbers.( no bugs ether) We did not have the lakes to moderate the temps like in MI.
You must have been WAY up in the mountains. At least above 4000 feet. Southern winters are typically like April/May in Michigan.


Quote:
The other good thing was the winters were shorter in NC., than here in da UP., and yes there was plenty of wet snow, and little equipment to move it.
It would be hard to find a place with a longer winter than the UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
 
21 posts, read 63,703 times
Reputation: 19
We are moving back. Well, it's my husbands moving back story I guess. He grew up in Greenville. We met when I lived up near Cadillac for a year after college. I moved back "home" to IL in 1999 and he came with me and has complained about it ever since. We will be up there in 2 days looking for a place to live. We are looking near Holland or Grand Haven first, if we can't find anything we will look closer to GR. We are self employed and hope to actually bring a few jobs to the area if things go well. There are a lot of pessimistic posts about MI on here, but it's nice to see the "coming home" nice posts too. I'm sure my husband has idealized the area from childhood, but I am hoping it will be a nice place to raise our 2 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
 
1,856 posts, read 3,099,189 times
Reputation: 1173
we had an unusual winter here in atlanta....first white christmas in over a century....I loved it but it just didnt last long enough.


Then we had an ice storm in january where no one could go anywhere because not enough snow plows to clean the roads...I got cabin fever.

but I cant wait to get to michigan to experience a looooonnnng winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,873,061 times
Reputation: 3265
You can easily commute from Holland or Grand Haven to Grand Rapids . . . it's only 20 miles. Also, don't rule out South Haven, which is a large beach town just south of Holland, and my favorite town in the state (other than my hometown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,873,061 times
Reputation: 3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
we had an unusual winter here in atlanta....first white christmas in over a century....I loved it but it just didnt last long enough.


Then we had an ice storm in january where no one could go anywhere because not enough snow plows to clean the roads...I got cabin fever.

but I cant wait to get to michigan to experience a looooonnnng winter
Are you from Atlanta originally? I was actually born down there.

Michigan winters aren't as bad as you'd think. Whenever it snows, an army of plows and salt trucks drive out to clear the roads, so the roads are almost always clear. Plus, it's rarely really cold in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 3,099,189 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Are you from Atlanta originally? I was actually born down there.

Michigan winters aren't as bad as you'd think. Whenever it snows, an army of plows and salt trucks drive out to clear the roads, so the roads are almost always clear. Plus, it's rarely really cold in Michigan.
no I am originally from richmond virginia but i moved here when i was a baby.....im 40 now so i figure i am a native.

what made you leave atlanta and move to michigan if you dont mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,246,127 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You must have been WAY up in the mountains. At least above 4000 feet. Southern winters are typically like April/May in Michigan.




It would be hard to find a place with a longer winter than the UP.
Yes , I built a modern house at 4,000 ft. I can remember some winters when we had cold spikes 20 below or more. Lots of frozen pipes, Ice , and power outages.
WE have had very nice winters in Marquette the last 3 years and never got below 0. I would take the snow any day over cold spikes and Ice and power outages. Sometimes a week ot more befor the power came back. A generator was a needed think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,246,127 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You can easily commute from Holland or Grand Haven to Grand Rapids . . . it's only 20 miles. Also, don't rule out South Haven, which is a large beach town just south of Holland, and my favorite town in the state (other than my hometown).
I lived 5 years outside South Haven..... I like the UP better. At lest my cell phone works up here !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top