U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,551 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

My boyfriend recently got accepted to medical school at MSU and we currently live in California so I have questions about East Lansing!

How is the public transit system? I have been looking at housing around campus (around 3-4 miles away) and it seems no matter where I look at that distance it will take about an hour to get to campus on a bus! We live in San Francisco where public transit is amazing and my boyfriend is hoping not to have to purchase a car, but an hour each way on a bus is too much for a med student already pressed for time. Any advice? Is a car a must in this city??

On that same note, I have never been to East Lansing or Michigan at all for that matter, so does anyone know what neighborhoods a medical student would live in? We aren't looking to be with the rowdy undergrads and we have a large dog so something with at least a small yard is a must, but it needs to be close to campus so too much time isn't wasted on transit.

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions! Big cross-country move ahead and all, so thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,951,929 times
I would have to say unless you want to live within a 5-6 mile radius, you will need a car, and to be safe from the rowdies. You may find something closer if your lucky that is quieter, then maybe you could use a bike, but I would say a car is a must...especially in winter. Even most of the students who live on campus have a car I believe. Also, Michigan is a beautiful state with tons of outdoor activities. If you want to see some of the beauty while your here...especially the lake Michigan side and north......you need a car.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM

3,093 posts, read 2,576,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef88 View Post
Hello all!!

My boyfriend recently got accepted to medical school at MSU and we currently live in California so I have questions about East Lansing!

How is the public transit system? I have been looking at housing around campus (around 3-4 miles away) and it seems no matter where I look at that distance it will take about an hour to get to campus on a bus! We live in San Francisco where public transit is amazing and my boyfriend is hoping not to have to purchase a car, but an hour each way on a bus is too much for a med student already pressed for time. Any advice? Is a car a must in this city??

On that same note, I have never been to East Lansing or Michigan at all for that matter, so does anyone know what neighborhoods a medical student would live in? We aren't looking to be with the rowdy undergrads and we have a large dog so something with at least a small yard is a must, but it needs to be close to campus so too much time isn't wasted on transit.

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions! Big cross-country move ahead and all, so thanks in advance for your advice!
The East Lansing area is one of those places where a car isn't necessarily required, but if you're going to do anything apart from going to school and buying groceries, a car is strongly recommended. That being said, since parking at MSU is expensive and inconvenient, public transportation might be the way to go.

Most of the bus lines in the area meet in downtown Lansing, which means that you'd have to transfer and add 20-30 minutes to your trip. Many bus lines on the east side of town, however, meet on MSU's campus. So I would stick to East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, or the east side of Lansing. Looking at CATA's website (CATA is the public transportation system in the Lansing area,) these would include routes 1, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 26. Route 20 (Jolly-Dunckel) is mostly apartments. Route 23 (Okemos) is either apartments or probably too expensive for a med student, although there might be something available on Mt. Hope between Hagadorn and Okemos Roads. Most areas in East Lansing would be fair game - I'd recommend avoiding the area between Grand River, Abbot, Burcham, and Hagadorn roads to stay away from rowdy undergrads. Some areas of East Lansing are kind of expensive, but areas near Lake Lansing Road in the Hagadorn/Towar Road area would work (Route 24) and further west on Lake Lansing Road (although that area is kind of apartment heavy.) Other areas to consider would be Haslett near Lake Lansing and/or Marsh Roads (Route 22), the area north of Grand River between Hagadorn up to and including Park Lake Road (Route 1), or possibly on the east side of Lansing near Michigan Avenue between Clemens and 127 (also Route 1.) I'm not sure about the crime there though, and I definitely wouldn't venture too close to Kalamazoo Road.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,551 times
Thanks for the info! Sorry I forgot to say that while my bf doesn't have a car I do. So as far as running errands or traveling out of the city, we have that covered. The problem lies in him having to waste too much time on the bus during his daily commute.

I will definitely look along those bus routes, thanks for the advice. Finding a place to live in a city you've never been to is challenging!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,743,618 times
Is this your first move? A trick I learned when moving around during college/post college - was to go to Google maps and type in the stores/places you typically visit (e.g. Panera Bread, Starbucks, Whole Foods, movie theatre) - Then focus your search to the surrounding locales. It makes it a lot easier to plot places within walking distance/short drives so you don't have to physically go there in advance. Plus you can use the "Satellite" feature and see it at street level (i.e. you can see if the rental is next to a car wash, a strip club or a cemetery etc) and also the upkeep/shadiness/charm of the surrounding homes. Hopefully you've bought plenty of green and white polo shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or