Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times

Advertisements

Ohhhh Hawaii... Been there a few times. Second best state in the union behind Michigan, IMO of course. I really dig Honolulu, but but Maui is awesome too! I must say I'm a little jealous... I remember Hawaii as a magical place; gorgeous sunsets, the smell of the ocean air, banana leaves, hammocks tied to palm trees, frozen cocktails, hula girls, bonfires, and sandy beaches. Enjoy it my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM

61 posts, read 112,733 times
5 interviews in 2 weeks? wow! I almost want my husband to have a look lol. He's a chemist too.
I understand it could be a bit scary to go to a drastically different place than where you've been comfortable with. I'm struggling with that issue currently too, but so long as you see it as an experience or adventure, you'll feel better.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I would love to visit Hawaii. My brother lives in Honolulu and wants to come back to Michigan. No one believes me when I tell them this, but he is a big outdoors guy who misses the kind of things we have here. He doesn't like big city life or the hot weather. I think he is more the exception so I hope you love it there, and I wish you the best of luck!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Would your marriage last if you did not move?
It is normal to have mixed feelings with any move. There is a lot of unknown especially with no job lined up and not being familiar with the area.
I hope things work out

Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,067 times
Well, having moved from Southern California to Detroit Metro (Plymouth) a year ago, I would tell you that no matter where you are, as long as you're with the person/people that you love, you will be fine. My husband came out here a month before I did, and I was a little worried/excited myself.

One tip to mention, if/when you do move, love the place you are going to for what it is. Don't constantly compare it to where you are from. I found myself doing this for the last year, and it's very unproductive, and an easy way to get down. Beleive me, there's a lot to compare btw CA and MI!

You have an opportunity that many people in the Detroit Area, or other areas for that matter, would never get. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
You might want to cruise the Hawaii forum on City-Data, if you haven't done so already. We are retired and are looking seriously toward a move to the Big Island.

I'm really surprised that your wife not only found a teaching position there, but also is getting a relocation stipend? Teachers are employees of the state, rather than the individual school districts. When my wife was at a conference at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu, the participants were mainly K-12 teachers. I heard a comment made by the facilitator that two teachers, married to each other, would not be able to afford to own a home in Honolulu. That doesn't sound like good news.

The two main reasons that people who have moved to Hawaii move back to the mainland seem to be "island fever" and missing friends and family back on the mainland. You will occasionally see comments about the locals being unfriendly to mainlanders, but if you don't act like a tourist, you should be fine.

We've visited six times and have loved each of the three islands (haven't been to Maui yet).

Best of luck with your relocation!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM

165 posts, read 512,461 times
Been their and if given the chance would be HAPPY to live their, I have a neice that moved their about 5years ago and loves it. Your young enjoy the adventure with your wife, sure you will both have a wonderful time.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Not many folks get the chance to experience Hawaii on a full time basis. It'd be hard for me to turn down an opportunity like that. Michigan aint goin' anywhere........come back if things don't work out.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
I have not found really one good thing about Novi all this summer. I'm sure there is more stuff to do in Oahu than Novi.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
You don't have to stay forever but I think its important to really leave home in a big way and experience other places at least once. So regardless of Detroit's status etc. I think its a good thing. Make the most of it because futures are uncertain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan