U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 AM

77 posts, read 195,142 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am a person that is moving from Novi, Michigan to Oahu, Hawaii in about 5 months. I am a chemist and my wife is a teacher. We have no children. She is already there and got a job along with $10,000.00 to relocate. I am staying here with a mutual friend of ours to raise some money for us to have a nest egg when I get there in October.
I don't deal much with family anymore as I have become a bit of a black sheep in my family. But I have a few great friends here, and my co-workers over the years have become great friends as well.
But Michigan saddens me now, I have been here for 32 years (all my life). Everything I grew up knowing or went to as a kid is gone, Detroit has become worse. I was over my cousin's place in highland park to visit and overnight they stole my catalytic converter from under my van. I am not even sure how they got to it.
But I am curious. If you were in my position, what would your feelings be? I am going there sight unseen. My wife loves it! Has anyone on here been there before??? Would you leave? Stay? Be sad or happy? Many have said it's a great adventure, some have said it's foolish. I am confident about getting a good job though. I applied for about 2 weeks in Oahu and got 5 interviews soon after. I ask this great Michigan forum what are your thoughts about my upcoming plans?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
No brainer?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,945,612 times
Take a scuba class here, so you are all set when you get there. Once there find a nice Dive shop and you will soon have new friends there with a shared intrest. Why NOT go it sounds like. Don't burn your bridges here before you leave just in case you end up hating it over there though and want to return.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,950,222 times
If I lived down Detroit way I would have noooo problem going. Now if I lived in northern Michigan...it may be a different story. I have an infatuation with forests....I would really miss that.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,746,788 times
I think a person can be happy wherever they are if they make up their mind to be. Would I want to move to Hawaii? For me, no. It's too far from the mainland for me, and it only appears to have one main season, warm and tropical, which to many people would be a perk. I like that I can get in my car and drive anywhere in the contiguous USA whenever I feel like it, that way I don't feel land locked. Also, I am very close to my family, and it would be a hardship to move away from them.

That said, most people would LOVE to try living in Hawaii, I am probably the exception. They don't call it paradise for nothing, right? Give it a try, you might just love it, and if you don't, you can move anywhere you want to. The fact that you aren't really involved with your family will help a lot, since family ties are usually the hardest thing about moving somewhere far away. Another perk: I think that I can say with some confidence that you won't be shoveling snow in Oahu!

Good luck!

Last edited by canudigit; 06-07-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 AM

14,537 posts, read 13,269,944 times
I would have waited till I had a job lined up for sure. I'd imagine it's easier for a teacher to find a job than a chemist.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,848,287 times
I've visited Hawaii about a dozen times (had previous in-laws who lived on Maui)...it is beautiful and idyllic, although I've always maintained I wouldn't want to live there. Too isolated, too many tourists, monotonous weather...

That said, if I had the chance that you have, at your age - I'd jump at it!!

I agree with not burning your bridges...it's a move, can be temporary nor permanent, depending on how you like it there. All the islands are incredibly beautiful.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
YAZ

7,138 posts, read 12,180,668 times
I don't think that you'll be the Black Sheep in the family anymore.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM

325 posts, read 307,554 times
I've visited Maui and have friends that live there. It's an idyllic place to live, although my husband did have a freak out moment when we got to an isolated part of the island. And that's what it feels like ... isolated. Like, really far away from everyone else. That said, there's a lot of benefits in going. Life seems a lot slower. And I agree with the adventure part. You've lived your whole life here. Now's your chance to do something really bold. You only live once, right?

P.S. You may wanna lookout for AlohaHuey. He may have some good advice on this.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 7,944,888 times
There are alot worse places that you could be stuck going too. If you were going to Ohio Id feel bad for ya, if you were going to New Jersey id feel really bad for you but your going to Hawaii. That cant really be that bad now can it? Enjoy it for now, and if you dont like it you can always come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or