U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,863,010 times

Advertisements

Dunno if your wife is Of A Certain Age...

But I do want to emphasise, if it's a hormonal/age related thing, it is more than simply feeling warm. WAY more. It's like an internal burning and heat, not something that can be mitigated by turning down the thermostat. It feels like your skin is burning up from the inside....fans and jumping in pools feel nice and all but don't really do the trick. I have literally gone outside in mid-winter and stuck as much of my body as possible into the freezer...that just about takes the edge off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My advide to my wife was go sit int he car for a while, or come into our office and hang out. She just went to work early instead. (Hint - Libraries have AC.)/ Misters work pretty well. I just put two fans blowing on me full speed and it is not bad. If I get hot, I jump in the pool and the cool off while the fans evaporate the water. Since I work indoors, I rarely notice the weather all that much. Just on the weekends and evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,408,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Luzette...my house was built in 1950, so it is definitely old! Although it's been updated a time or two so I have a fuse box and mostly 3-prong outlets.

I am in Mt Morris, if you are nearby DM me and I can give you contact information for reputable people.

My house was built in 1950 too. In my kitchen I can't run anything else if I've got the microwave on. If I do the fuse will blow. I'm not anywhere near Mt Morris, but I've got a regular electrician who comes whenever I've had trouble. I give him a call tomorrow and take it from there. Thanks for the offer!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM

7,168 posts, read 7,963,071 times
I had central air installed this April. Right now that seems like it was a good investment!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM

271 posts, read 586,085 times
No AC here in the house or car. But I'm fine with it. Much better than cold and rain. I don't have a garage or anything and I like to work on things outside. Summer is the only time we really got and when we get nice days I can do that. Had the day off today and went and picked up my daughter for part of the summer. Took her for ice cream then took her to the pool for awhile.

To keep the temps in the house down when it's really hot I first keep the curtains closed where the sun beams in. Then open one window at the warm end of the house and put a box fan pretty closely fitting in the window, blowing out. Then open one other window at the coolest side of the house. The air has no choice to pull in from anywhere but the cooler side. Do this all night and the house will be like an icebox by morning but will remain cool through the day. The wife likes it cooler but I'd rather be outside all day anyway.

Maybe it's because my blood is literally a little colder than most people's. In the winter I'll go around with 4 shirts on at a time, 3 in spring and fall, and 2 most of the summer. When it's really warm like this and most people are panting in the heat, I can finally go down to a tshirt and not freeze. Unless I'm in a place with AC running then a 2nd shirt has to go back on. I go to work and everybody else is panting in shorts and tshirts and sandals. I'm in workboots, jeans, and 2 shirts and sometimes I can't even grip pieces of paper because my fingers are so cold. It's so nice when I get to be in the warm outside, I take a walk to the store to get lunch and don't even break a sweat when some others say it's too hot for a walk. Sometimes even enjoy the heat that's accumulated in my car during the day after work. Working in the shop or a day off is even better. I've though about moving to a warmer climate but my family is here, my job is here, and I do like the snow and the fall scenery and the clean air and a lot of other things.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 AM

766 posts, read 1,447,278 times
It's been close to 100 degrees here in southern NM this week but to me it feels more comfortable than the MI heat. It's a lot easier to deal with the heat when there's no humidity. But you know the heat won't last in MI...

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Life is better with air conditioning. I has now, at least in the bedroom.
Everyone in Genesee and Oakland counties were sold out of what I needed, except for ABC Warehouse; yay them!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM

8,872 posts, read 17,753,315 times
Big beautiful doppler full of color for tonight, as the cold front moves in:

NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Grand Rapids/Muskegon, MI

Around midnight for much of West Michigan, later for Mid and Eastern Michigan.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM

362 posts, read 620,258 times
Of course it isn't to early to complain about the heat. All the whinny winter hating people start when it hits 50F in the fall.
My house yesterda.

this isn't late July or August it is June for petes sake.

Al

Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 PM

And you're somewhere up in northern Michigan, yet. Yikes.
I'm so excited and happy when fall comes and I feel like a happy kid during the first snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Of course it isn't to early to complain about the heat. All the whinny winter hating people start when it hits 50F in the fall.
My house yesterda.

this isn't late July or August it is June for petes sake.

Al

Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,969,859 times
Today was beautiful. Low 60's for most of the day and a light breeze, felt good after the last couple days pushing 90. That's crazy for the start of June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or