Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM

97 posts, read 432,785 times

Advertisements

I used to live in a house that had a wood stove and was very cost effective to heat. Wood was about 40$ a month and electric was about 100$. Very nice. Now since I will be moving back I will be renting a family members trailer. It is newly remolded and dry walled and insulated. She just recently told me that the gas tank was running about 650$ to 750$ every six weeks. That seems awfully high. They use Coyne Oil company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
I assume you're talking about propane, and if so I know that the price of propane has skyrocketed in the past year or so, at least according to my sister, who lives in the country and heats her house with propane. She tells me how much it costs to fill their tank and it is at least as much as the price that you stated here. Isn't it ridiculous? We have natural gas, and even at that, our house, which was built in 2007, is supposed to be extremely energy efficient, and has just under 1800 square feet, costs between $250-$300/month in the winter months to heat.

I guess you could do what my sister does, and keep your house at 68 degrees in the winter and just wear a lot of clothes. I can't stand it that cold, we keep ours at 73 degrees all winter long.

Well, enjoy the summer months!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Heck. I might leave it at 50 degrees if the pipes wont freeze.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM

So I have been doing some digging. Did you know that Natural gas is regulated? Yeah I know.That big bad word "REGULATED". Well it does not work out so bad for the natural gas users. Propane is unregulated. They can charge anything they want. I guess I really do not have such an issue with that, but they are not fair about it.

If Joe the farmer uses 600 gallons a year for he might get charged $2.50 per gallon. Not a terrible price. Mr Farmer is not that conscientious about his propane usage and money is not that big of a deal for him.

Now This other guy Jim, that lives alone and does pay close attention to his usage and cares about spending and saving. He only uses between 350 and 400 gallons a year. Makes good sense to save right?
Nope. Gas company can't have this. This guy must be punished and now her gets to pay $3.50 a gallon for not using enough freaking propane. Real classy.

I understand why people hate regulation, but in a perfect world people are not greedy asshats. This is not a perfect world.

Last edited by sweetvelocity; 06-14-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,622 times
You said that you are renting a trailer- It seems that I have heard about people having a fireplace or woodstove in a trailer (which would scare the daylights out of me, but that's another story, lol)- is there a possibility to have one (safely) installed? I'm not hugely familiar with propane (yeah, city girl, lol)...is that what things such as the stove would run on? Gosh...for six weeks worth of propane, you could probably buy an inexpensive stove and maybe a woodstove or something (?). That would really upset me, too- that's a lot of money. And of course we know that the propane companies just aren't making enough money to keep body and soul together...(pfffft!).

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM

271 posts, read 664,774 times
I heard somewhere that you can't have a woodstove IN a trailer, it's against code or something. But I know of several people who built a room off one side of the trailer and put the woodstove in there.

That much cost to heat a trailer does seem like a lot considering the small space of a trailer, but then again the thinner walls and windows might make up for the smaller space when it comes to heat loss.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 512,397 times
When i was in N arizona my propane cost for winter heat was double what it cost me in SE MI for natural gas, I will never live where propane is all I can use for heat. Their was no monthly bill it had to be paid on delivery.....it was a single wide small trailer I kept it at 55 and was still freezing. My last winter their I used a space heater and would just put it in the room i was in. I was happy to get back to MI in Feb.....

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Someone else thinks that the numbers are skewed. They thing is is 650 to 750 gal for a year. Called a local propane company there and they said that sounds way more accurate.

Last edited by sweetvelocity; 06-15-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM

271 posts, read 664,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
Someone else thinks that the numbers are skewed. They thing is is 650 to 750 gal for a year. Called a local propane company there and they said that sounds way more accurate.
650-750 gallons a year is what I used to use to heat my 1050 sq ft house before I switched to wood. It also has high ceilings including a cathedral ceiling in half the house so I'd imagine that's where most of the heat goes. Also I had a gas dryer using some of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan