Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I truly hope none of you are parents with children in public schools..........because your governor could basicall give two &%*s about their education.

I so wish I could sign the recall petition!!

(and yes, I live in Denver but all my family is in Grand Rapids and I will eventually be moving back to MI)
I could give statistics but you know what they say about those...

Google around and you will find that graduation and college acceptance rates do not correlate, even remotely, with student-per-capita spending. Not none bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Google around and you will find that graduation and college acceptance rates do not correlate, even remotely, with student-per-capita spending. Not none bit.

I agree. Also, why don't we get parents to pay for all sports-related activities at school? That would save school districts money. The purpose of school is to get an education.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Caring about kids and spending money on schools have nothing to do with each other. it's actually easier to throw money at someone/something than it is to genuinely care. Kind of like how giving money to a family member is not necessarily the most loving thing you can do for that person.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
[quote=ram2;19505104]Then how do idiots like Granhole get re-elected?[/quote
...idiots...

Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I voted for him and so far I like what he is doing. A balanced budget is a must, and a more friendly business enviroment is a must for job creation. The militant union mentality was destroying this state, and its time to make a change. Unions will always have a place, but they had just become to powerfull, and the democrats they got elected taxed and regulated this state into a near permanent recession. The state goverment had become everyones daddy, and that is not the place of goverment. With a change in policy and attitude this state may one day grow again.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:11 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
More money doesn't equal better results. The governor should keep cutting until there's a budget surplus. I especially liked the proposals to limit welfare benefits after 4 years. Hopefully the people sucking off the system will move out of state; maybe get Detroit down to about 500K population. MI should be very happy that Snyder was elected after the 8-year disaster that Granholm was. It may now actually have a chance of an economic recovery.

Quote:
I truly hope none of you are parents with children in public schools..........because your governor could basicall give two &%*s about their education.

(and yes, I live in Denver but all my family is in Grand Rapids and I will eventually be moving back to MI)

Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

How many MORE kids from Bloomfield, Birmingham ect (where they spent TWICE the state foundation money $12K vs. $7K) go on to college after graduation compared to kids from places like--FLINT, DETROIT, DOWNRIVER, ect...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20080...36300678113911

Why does the wealthier suburbs OUTSPEND the standard blue collar suburbs? OH..because they want their kids to have more field trips? It has nothing to do with college, graduation or education.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 06-09-2011 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:

I have 4 kids in public schools right now, and frankly am not worried about it. It all depends on the individual districts and how they plan their budget and how they are going to use the money they have. Education levels are not going to drop, unless the school districts choose to use what money they do get, to keep frivolous programs going instead of their core curriculum up.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How many MORE kids from Bloomfield, Birmingham ect (where they spent TWICE the state foundation money $12K vs. $7K) go on to college after graduation compared to kids from places like--FLINT, DETROIT, DOWNRIVER, ect...
Mainly because the parents have the money to send their kids to college from wealthier suburbs. Even a full ride scholarship doesn't give the parents or the kid the money to GET to the university, or the money (no matter how small) needed to live away from home while at college. That is one of the huge factors in how many kids get to go on to a University setting after High School. Just because the school offers kick-ass sports programs or nicer buildings at a higher cost does it mean the important part of the schools are addressed... just means more money is being spent.

As a teacher you should know this.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Uhhhh.... do you think the home life of those kids has anything to do with it?

Those kids from Birmingham would be going to college whether the school system was good or not. The parents would make sure of it. Put those kids in a below average school district, and they are still going to end up in college. It might be MSU instead of Harvard, but they'd still go to college. Trust me.

It's basically the "chicken or the egg" debate. Are the kids good because of the school system? Or does the school system look good because of the kids? Birmingham might spend a lot of money, but it's just to go above and beyond what normal kids have (fancy sports uniforms with their names on the back, for example). I really don't think the high amount of spending is the key to success for those kids. There's a lot more to it than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan