U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,656 posts, read 7,479,396 times
Reputation: 8351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I said I don't want Snyder to turn our state into a Texas/Mississppi hybrid, and then you responded that we won't end up that way because we're culturally different from both states.

We already have the racial problems (SE Michigan) and the ultra conservative folks (the rest of Michigan), so I don't see the cultural difference.
That is rich. If MI were ultra-conservative, they wouldn't have had the governators and legislators who spent and spent and spent, over the years.

Basic tenets of conservatism are:
1.) Live within your means;
2.) Obey the constitution and don't make up a bunch of powers you're neither authorized nor competent to exercise;
3.) Emphasize self-reliance and freedom, not buying votes and creating dependent voters with the very tax money extracted from the voters under threat of fine or imprisonment.

BTW, both parties violate those basic guides to success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I would be concerned if Snyder's approval rating WASN'T dropping. We're not going to fix Michigan by making easy decisions or keeping everyone happy.

I, for one, am thankful that we elected a governor who is more concerned with doing his job than having high approval ratings or getting re-elected. Anyone can do that. The fact that some people are so mad tells me that he is doing something that politicians almost NEVER do... making tough decisions.
That's the #1 reason that DC is in seizure mode. Too many "public servants" care more about their careers than performing their job descriptions to the best of their ability.
The people come in about 11th out of 10 on the priority list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Absolutely right. he seems to have a plan...and a mission, and is staying true to his course no matter what. So refreshing....
Lucky all those hordes of rabid ultra-conservatives elected him!
What do you think Pete Hoekstra would be doing right about now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM
 
50 posts, read 122,553 times
Reputation: 25
rick snyder is the devil in disguise. Just like the rest of the republicans *******s, he doesnt care about the struggling majority,,,he only cares about the rich. as soon as the budget gets looked at, the first thing he wants to do is make it harder for low income citizens to surivive.

i dont see NO rich people getting cut down, in fact, they're still getting tax cuts for doing NOTHING. How many mercedes and cadillacs do they need, theres people in michigan that are lucky enough to even OWN a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
rick snyder is the devil in disguise. Just like the rest of the republicans *******s, he doesnt care about the struggling majority,,,he only cares about the rich. as soon as the budget gets looked at, the first thing he wants to do is make it harder for low income citizens to surivive.

i dont see NO rich people getting cut down, in fact, they're still getting tax cuts for doing NOTHING. How many mercedes and cadillacs do they need, theres people in michigan that are lucky enough to even OWN a car.
Good grief. He's not trying to purposely screw poor people. Where do people come up with this garbage? Why would he go through all of this crap just for the sake of screwing people? No one would become governor and work for one dollar per year just so that he could screw over the poor. That is one of the stupidest things that I've ever heard.

But I've also heard that 1/3 of Americans believe that our government was responsible for the 9-11 attacks. So, as far as conspiracy theories go, maybe the "Rick Snyder is the devil and wants to eat your children" conspiracy isn't that far-fetched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Santa Maria, CA
766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
Reputation: 651
Good grief. The majority of the people aren't struggling. Rich people aren't taking money from the government. They're the ones that pay for government. A tax cut for them is simply letting them keep a bit more of their own money. In contrast, the poor pay nothing to the government and just take money from the government. They want more and more government money and vote accordingly.

Republicans don't want people to rely on the government as a way of life. Tax cuts and reduction in regulation are some of the best ways of bringing in economic development and creating jobs. If you're able-bodied, your goal should be to get a job and not be on government assistance. Do you really think raising taxes and giving more and more to the poor is going to create jobs? It drives businesses away.

Michigan is basically getting a raw deal because of federal trade agreements like NAFTA promoting so-called free trade that have exported so much of our manufacturing out of the country. The migration that happened over time to MI because of the manufacturing jobs should now reverse itself and the census is showing this to be the case. The welfare limit of 4 years should push more of the jobless out of the state and lessen the drain on the state coffers.

So, if you don't like Snyder and aren't working -- move somewhere else where you can find work if you think it's bad in MI. What do you really have to lose that you won't lose in time anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
rick snyder is the devil in disguise. Just like the rest of the republicans *******s, he doesnt care about the struggling majority,,,he only cares about the rich. as soon as the budget gets looked at, the first thing he wants to do is make it harder for low income citizens to surivive.

i dont see NO rich people getting cut down, in fact, they're still getting tax cuts for doing NOTHING. How many mercedes and cadillacs do they need, theres people in michigan that are lucky enough to even OWN a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Pure Michigan!
4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
Reputation: 7065
Reps to you, Sparrow_temp, since I can't really rep you again until I rep someone else. Your entire post is spot on.

I often wonder myself why our government, the one that supposedly wants to create jobs and get people back to work, drafts such disastrous policies, NAFTA being just one, that achieve the exact opposite. And before any of you get your knickers in a knot and blame NAFTA solely on the Republicans, let's not forget that it was "Slick Willy" Clinton himself who signed it into law, effectively destroying this country's manufacturing base as we knew it. I realize that Republicans supported it and helped to draft it as well, but this bomb was a bi-partisan effort all the way. It's great to know that both parties are working so hard to make sure that a lot of Americans never will, isn't it?

I recently helped my mom have a moving sale and as I helped to price and display the various kitchen implements, etc. that she had collected from the 1960s and on, I was amazed at how many of these things used to be made in the U.S., everything from small countertop appliances, to pie pans, to suitcases. Go check where your items similar to these that you purchased in the 1990s and 2000s were made. I bet you won't find a one that was made in this country. Sad, sad, sad. How can anyone wonder why unemployment isn't getting better?

Last edited by canudigit; 08-16-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 AM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,216,447 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
That is rich. If MI were ultra-conservative, they wouldn't have had the governators and legislators who spent and spent and spent, over the years.
Oh sorry, I meant ultra socially conservative.

You can't deny it either visiting any part of western/northern Michigan, looking at the church attendance and the very lax gun laws.

That said, the only reason MOST Michiganders voted for Democrats was because of the unions. No other reason. Even under Granholm we had the ban on Gay Marriage passed (whatever sense that made) and the elimination of Affirmative Action (no truly "liberal" government would have went for either of those).

But again, I guess Michigan goal is to become a hybrid Texas/Mississippi. We already have the low paying service jobs, racial problems and the regressive socially conservative mentality, all we need now is to gut what's left of our pitiful welfare system (underway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Oh sorry, I meant ultra socially conservative.

You can't deny it either visiting any part of western/northern Michigan, looking at the church attendance and the very lax gun laws.

That said, the only reason MOST Michiganders voted for Democrats was because of the unions. No other reason. Even under Granholm we had the ban on Gay Marriage passed (whatever sense that made) and the elimination of Affirmative Action (no truly "liberal" government would have went for either of those).

But again, I guess Michigan goal is to become a hybrid Texas/Mississippi. We already have the low paying service jobs, racial problems and the regressive socially conservative mentality, all we need now is to gut what's left of our pitiful welfare system (underway).
Some of the "socially conservative" communities in Michigan, such as those in Ottawa County, have a quality of life that many places in the U.S. would envy. Probably in thanks to the conservative views towards personal finance and business that tend to go along with that, for whatever reason. These places also seem to have an incredible work ethic. They have nothing in common with communities in Texas or Mississippi. Please take your Broad Brush and put it back on the shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Pure Michigan!
4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
Reputation: 7065
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Oh sorry, I meant ultra socially conservative.

You can't deny it either visiting any part of western/northern Michigan, looking at the church attendance and the very lax gun laws.
Ewwww...better get rid of those pesky churchgoers. We all know that the "do your own thing, there is no right or wrong" mentality has done wonders for our society...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
 
50 posts, read 122,553 times
Reputation: 25
the people who posted against my post are obviously well off. U try doing what i have to do on a daily basis. struggling to pay bills in a low income housing environment with a FULL-TIME job still not being able to afford base rent, having a child to take care of, and the only way we can eat is through my baby mama's food stamps. Fortunately i dont rely on cash assistance, i pay my own bills and rent, but its still difficult.

whats next? capping cash assistance is a whatever topic for me cuz i dont have welfare cash assistancee; however, what is next? is our governor gonna up and decide people(like my child and baby mama) dont need medicaid and they gotta pay their own high premieum costs they cant afford? What about Bridge Card? you see he just took that from ALL college students so now they have to choose between paying a utility bill or eating.
the whole point of being in college is to be able to survive after students walk the stage,,,but if they cant survive now when they trying to better themselves then what is the point of going to college if its just gonna count against you. He could've just lowered the limit college students get on bridge cards, not snatch it away like a little baby who gets jealous of other kids playing with his toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,941,531 times
Reputation: 16907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
the people who posted against my post are obviously well off.
LOL. We have one income and 5 kids under 14 at home. Yeah... real well off. LOL No assistance either, not even low income housing. We saved until we found what we wanted and bought it for the right price. we don't live outside our means, and think the State should at least try to do the same. If I have to make cuts in our personal budget, then the Gov't should cut the fat and bloated programs as well. Let some of these welfare queens (and kings) get off their ass and at least try to make an honest living... without sticking their hand out and expecting others to pay their way while sucking down a beer and firing up a fatty while watching Dr. Phil.

About the bridge card, they did NOT take that from all college kids, they took it from the ones who don't need it. You should really try looking up a few facts before spewing your hatred and ignorance around for all to see.
College bridge card
Bridge card
Bridge Card
Those three links took about 15 seconds to find. The Bridge card is being brought into the Federal guidelines for eligibility which it should have been following all along. Not available to ALL college students, just because they are students, and not because they actually showed a NEED for it, which is what the state was doing before. Why should we as a State give someone a bridge card just because they are going to college? What is wrong with those people having to show a real need like every other resident in the State has to show in order to get one?

As for cutting payments to you, your "baby-mama" and child, why should they? Are you unmarried because you get higher benefits from the State? If you are having kids together, why not make it a legal union? Oh yeah, then all the ADC, WIC, SS, and other programs don't pay as much. You're welcome from a taxpayer for working and doing things the right way; so you can receive more benefits than you are entitled to if you were living in the same situation except with a piece of paper. Can you say "MILKING THE SYSTEM?"

Your post was wrong and nothing but a load of BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top