U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Reputation: 2777

Advertisements

So So true. The Tea Party wing nuts are just a branch of the Moral Majority. Jerry Falwell , good he is not around anymore.There are plenty to take his place, its getting scary. If the GOP/Tea Bagers totally take over , I am leaving , Canada here I come !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Reputation: 32915
Ther were several recall petitioners at the Sec. State when I took my son to get his license. They got one signature that I saw while I was there. There were at least 100 people there. They were not really trying too hard, but then those hired petition people usually have no idea what the issues are so they do not try to talk too much. They just stand there with a shirt or sign. If that is typical, then the recall is a joke. Maybe they are doing better elsewhere.

As far as I know there is pretty much always a recall effort to recall every major politician. No one usually pays much attention. This effort is getting attention becuase the media hates Snyder and seems to want to try to give the recall as much attention as possible to boost it. I wonder how many signatures they have? Their first attempt did not come close to the numbers that they need.

I helped organize a recall campaign of a school board member in California that worked. It cost a fortune and required hundreds of volunteers. The other side spent tens of thousands of dllars, possibly hundreds and employed goon tactics. It was very very hard. More than 1/3 of the signatures were rejected as invalid. It woudl take all day to get 100 signatures. Sometimes you would do better, sometimes worse. However we were aggressive and knew the issues well. The hired guns were paired with activists who knew the issues so you did not get what I saw at the Sec. State.

I also do nto agree with everything that Snyder does, but at least he is doing SOMETHING. It is a vast improvement. Many of the things he is doing are necessary and unpopular. He must get the budget under control and eliminate the reason as that MI has such a horrible reputation in the business community before he can begin working to attract businesses. Program,s to attract business are pointless when our state is still structured to drive business away. A lot of the perception problem is related to unions. Not sure how they will overcome that. Even if the Unions back off on some of the absurd policies, the perception will remain. The unions are not going to publicly admit that they got out of control and they are now backing off. It will be difficult to convince the business community that things have really changed.

If he is smart, he will get the unpopular stuff out of the way early. Then he can work on the more popular programs closer to re-election time. I do not know whether his efforts will work. I do know that no one is going to fix this State in four years. If he gets eight, he may have a chance of setting the stage for a turnaround. The thing is, that the benefits will not likely be realized for ten years or so, and then it may well be someone else who get the credit for the results. Funny the way Politics works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ther were several recall petitioners at the Sec. State when I took my son to get his license. They got one signature that I saw while I was there. There were at least 100 people there. They were not really trying too hard, but then those hired petition people usually have no idea what the issues are so they do not try to talk too much. They just stand there with a shirt or sign. If that is typical, then the recall is a joke. Maybe they are doing better elsewhere.

As far as I know there is pretty much always a recall effort to recall every major politician. No one usually pays much attention. This effort is getting attention becuase the media hates Snyder and seems to want to try to give the recall as much attention as possible to boost it. I wonder how many signatures they have? Their first attempt did not come close to the numbers that they need.

I helped organize a recall campaign of a school board member in California that worked. It cost a fortune and required hundreds of volunteers. The other side spent tens of thousands of dllars, possibly hundreds and employed goon tactics. It was very very hard. More than 1/3 of the signatures were rejected as invalid. It woudl take all day to get 100 signatures. Sometimes you would do better, sometimes worse. However we were aggressive and knew the issues well. The hired guns were paired with activists who knew the issues so you did not get what I saw at the Sec. State.

I also do nto agree with everything that Snyder does, but at least he is doing SOMETHING. It is a vast improvement. Many of the things he is doing are necessary and unpopular. He must get the budget under control and eliminate the reason as that MI has such a horrible reputation in the business community before he can begin working to attract businesses. Program,s to attract business are pointless when our state is still structured to drive business away. A lot of the perception problem is related to unions. Not sure how they will overcome that. Even if the Unions back off on some of the absurd policies, the perception will remain. The unions are not going to publicly admit that they got out of control and they are now backing off. It will be difficult to convince the business community that things have really changed.

If he is smart, he will get the unpopular stuff out of the way early. Then he can work on the more popular programs closer to re-election time. I do not know whether his efforts will work. I do know that no one is going to fix this State in four years. If he gets eight, he may have a chance of setting the stage for a turnaround. The thing is, that the benefits will not likely be realized for ten years or so, and then it may well be someone else who get the credit for the results. Funny the way Politics works.
So true also. However , The Guy from Lansing would have made a better Gov. he had fire in his eyes and belly. Thats what we need , another Harry Truman. and at the national level as well. It took 10 years for Bush to destroy our country , it will take 20 to get it back...enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM
 
88 posts, read 122,351 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
So So true. The Tea Party wing nuts are just a branch of the Moral Majority. Jerry Falwell , good he is not around anymore.There are plenty to take his place, its getting scary. If the GOP/Tea Bagers totally take over , I am leaving , Canada here I come !!
Can we hold you to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Can we hold you to this?
I am not sure they will take me. Anyone over 40 is not welcome, unless you are needed because of your specialty, or an educator , in the Arts, things like that that you Conservatives do not like..
I may stick around as the class warfare debate looks interesting. You know , the war against the Middle Class. ( maybe the righties will back off that talking point) The *** is up, stay tuned, I do have my stash and Passport ready however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,216,447 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
So true also. However , The Guy from Lansing would have made a better Gov. he had fire in his eyes and belly. Thats what we need , another Harry Truman. and at the national level as well. It took 10 years for Bush to destroy our country , it will take 20 to get it back...enough said.
Agreed, and that's why I voted for him.

Better than a Harry Truman, we need another FDR.

Problem is the working/middle class folks have no representation in the US political spectrum. The corporations and religious wing nuts have their representation, but not the little man who only wants to earn an honest living, not even caring about what others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Loving life in Gaylord!
4,121 posts, read 7,948,839 times
Reputation: 3895
Yeah...if that other guy were Gov. we would have 1% unemployment, taxes cut for everyone, and EVERYONE in Michigan would be so happy! LOL...sorry you complainers...thats NOT the way it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Virg Bernero? Just when doubt is starting to creep in with all of the negative talk about Snyder, all it takes is someone to say "we'd be better off with Bernero" and I once again become sure that I am on the right side of this debate. Virg would be better? LOL. If the UAW started a church, Virg would be in the front pew with drool on his face every Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 05:25 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,216,447 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Virg Bernero? Just when doubt is starting to creep in with all of the negative talk about Snyder, all it takes is someone to say "we'd be better off with Bernero" and I once again become sure that I am on the right side of this debate. Virg would be better? LOL. If the UAW started a church, Virg would be in the front pew with drool on his face every Sunday.
So what, Snyder's in the front pew of the big business church with drool on his face every Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So what, Snyder's in the front pew of the big business church with drool on his face every Sunday.
I think Snyder's tax cut actually helped small businesses a lot more than big businesses, especially restaurants and retail shops with low margins. The old tax code really screwed those people while giving huge tax credits to manufacturers. I remember reading that a lot of large companies could even pay more under the flat tax due to the removal of tax credits. It's the mom and pop places who will benefit the most from the change. But that doesn't fit with the theme of "Snyder only cares about rich CEOs from giant evil corporations". So I don't blame people for leaving that out when bashing Snyder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top