U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,216,447 times
Reputation: 5588

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My friend, the GOP is ALREADY in a shambles. It's making the Dems look like superheroes in comparison, and that's really saying something.
Pretty much.

To sum it up, the Republicans have gone to the far loony bin right (the latest crop of candidates make Ron Paul look sane) and the Democrats have moved center-right.

It pretty much isolates the moderate and liberal base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,155 times
Reputation: 12
In Granholm's last year in office, Michigan had the fastest declining unemployment rate in the US. When Snyder took office in January, the unemployment rate in Michigan was 10.4 percent - now, just 9 months after the job creator took office, Michigan's unemployment rate is no longer declining and in fact has increased to 11.2 percent. This at the same time that he raised taxes on Michigan's middle class, dramatically decreased funding for local governments and our school systems, kicked thousands off critical income assistance, while at the same time giving lots of tax breaks to his wealthy counterparts. Additionally, if you follow the bills regarding leasing agreements and property taxes in Northern lower Michigan, it becomes clear that Michigan is for sale to the highest bidder and in this case, the highest bidders are the natural gas companies. Hydrofracking is already taking place in the midst of the largest freshwater system in the world. Any of you who love the natural resources, clean air and clean rivers and lakes of northern Michigan, get prepared to bid your farewells to them. At the current rate of leasing, Pure Michigan will soon be but a memory. Oh -and if that wasn't enough, Snyder dismantled our democratic system by expanding the emergency financial managers act to allow the dismissal of the elected officials of local governments and school boards, leaving locals with no right to self governance -a basic tenant of our constitution. Simply put he has run roughshod over the people and the interested of this state. The only saving grace is Snyder's performance ensures he'll be a one term governor and there is no doubt he will take down some of his bobble head republican legislators with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,716,408 times
Reputation: 957
I don't live in Michigan however i get their news quite a bit. One Interview i managed to see with Snyder is he talked about how he got alot of his ideas from Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels.
Indiana has the lowest unemployment rate of all neighboring states. Most jobs and highest population growth.
I encourage you guys to read up a biography on him Mitch Daniels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree that change doesn't happen over night. Michigan isn't going to become great in 1 day it takes time.
Take a look at Indiana and see how we changed since Mitch Daniels was elected to office in 2004.
So before you go after Snyder and the little R attached to his name GIVE HIM A CHANCE! geeze Liberals don't know when to quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
In Granholm's last year in office, Michigan had the fastest declining unemployment rate in the US. When Snyder took office in January, the unemployment rate in Michigan was 10.4 percent - now, just 9 months after the job creator took office, Michigan's unemployment rate is no longer declining and in fact has increased to 11.2 percent. This at the same time that he raised taxes on Michigan's middle class, dramatically decreased funding for local governments and our school systems, kicked thousands off critical income assistance, while at the same time giving lots of tax breaks to his wealthy counterparts. Additionally, if you follow the bills regarding leasing agreements and property taxes in Northern lower Michigan, it becomes clear that Michigan is for sale to the highest bidder and in this case, the highest bidders are the natural gas companies. Hydrofracking is already taking place in the midst of the largest freshwater system in the world. Any of you who love the natural resources, clean air and clean rivers and lakes of northern Michigan, get prepared to bid your farewells to them. At the current rate of leasing, Pure Michigan will soon be but a memory. Oh -and if that wasn't enough, Snyder dismantled our democratic system by expanding the emergency financial managers act to allow the dismissal of the elected officials of local governments and school boards, leaving locals with no right to self governance -a basic tenant of our constitution. Simply put he has run roughshod over the people and the interested of this state. The only saving grace is Snyder's performance ensures he'll be a one term governor and there is no doubt he will take down some of his bobble head republican legislators with him.
Holy fear mongering, Batman!

1. Snyder's changes have not been in place long enough for him to get credit OR blame for much of anything as far as the economy is concerned. Lets analyze it after a couple of years. Also, if the national economy is stagnating (it is) then we are going to be affected here, no matter what Snyder is doing. A good measure for success will be if our economy suffers less than other states in the coming years.

2. The argument that Snyder's tax breaks only "help his wealthy friends" is very juvenile and reeks of class warfare propaganda. The reality is that it helps small businesses much more than big ones. In fact, due to the closing of many tax loopholes, many big companies will be paying slightly more under Snyder's tax plan. The real winners are small businesses. And those people are not the mythical "fat cats" sitting up on some golden throne, bathing in pools of money, and taking advantage of the poor and helpless that your argument makes them out to be.

Again... come on, people. You can do better than this. If you are going to criticize Snyder, at least do something original and base it on facts. Enough of the Michael Moore propaganda that you all are being spoon fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,716,408 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Holy fear mongering, Batman!

1. Snyder's changes have not been in place long enough for him to get credit OR blame for much of anything as far as the economy is concerned. Lets analyze it after a couple of years. Also, if the national economy is stagnating (it is) then we are going to be affected here, no matter what Snyder is doing. A good measure for success will be if our economy suffers less than other states in the coming years.

2. The argument that Snyder's tax breaks only "help his wealthy friends" is very juvenile and reeks of class warfare propaganda. The reality is that it helps small businesses much more than big ones. In fact, due to the closing of many tax loopholes, many big companies will be paying slightly more under Snyder's tax plan. The real winners are small businesses. And those people are not the mythical "fat cats" sitting up on some golden throne, bathing in pools of money, and taking advantage of the poor and helpless that your argument makes them out to be.

Again... come on, people. You can do better than this. If you are going to criticize Snyder, at least do something original and base it on facts. Enough of the Michael Moore propaganda that you all are being spoon fed.
Well said from a Hoosier
Just like Mitch Daniels here we had the same critizing and now 7 years later its mostly gone.
Like we did to Mitch Daniels here in Indiana GIVE RICK SNYDER A CHANCE! lol liberals are so stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Reputation: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Holy fear mongering, Batman!

1. Snyder's changes have not been in place long enough for him to get credit OR blame for much of anything as far as the economy is concerned. Lets analyze it after a couple of years. Also, if the national economy is stagnating (it is) then we are going to be affected here, no matter what Snyder is doing. A good measure for success will be if our economy suffers less than other states in the coming years.

2. The argument that Snyder's tax breaks only "help his wealthy friends" is very juvenile and reeks of class warfare propaganda. The reality is that it helps small businesses much more than big ones. In fact, due to the closing of many tax loopholes, many big companies will be paying slightly more under Snyder's tax plan. The real winners are small businesses. And those people are not the mythical "fat cats" sitting up on some golden throne, bathing in pools of money, and taking advantage of the poor and helpless that your argument makes them out to be.

Again... come on, people. You can do better than this. If you are going to criticize Snyder, at least do something original and base it on facts. Enough of the Michael Moore propaganda that you all are being spoon fed.
You right wingers just have to throw in your old say no talking points. Its people like Michael Moore that have brought attention to so much corruption going on in Government.I take my hat off the M.Moore !!... There is a revolution going on in this country, but then , you and most rightist are tiring to discount the Wall Street.protest as well. Its happening all across the country. Continue your line of thing and acting at your own peril. The Chickens have come home to roost !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,622,254 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You right wingers just have to throw in your old say no talking points. Its people like Michael Moore that have brought attention to so much corruption going on in Government.I take my hat off the M.Moore !!... There is a revolution going on in this country, but then , you and most rightist are tiring to discount the Wall Street.protest as well. Its happening all across the country. Continue your line of thing and acting at your own peril. The Chickens have come home to roost !
Well Darstar, I know you are one of the wise old voices on this forum, so I don't want to start any trouble. I think we can at least agree that there needs to be a revolution in this country, even if we don't agree on the root of the problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
 
847 posts, read 1,671,280 times
Reputation: 703
don't worry, the revolution has begun and its much bigger than we realize. this liberal conservative crap will then stop. quit fighting like 5 year olds and go do something. so irritating and unproductive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Santa Maria, CA
766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
Reputation: 651
Revolution is bad. A liberal revolution ending in violence would be entertaining though. Libs are for gun control and are not gun owners. The people they would be fighting do carry guns. Predict the outcome.

The basic problem that is affecting the country has its roots in "free trade" and global labor arbitrage. The manufacturing jobs which allowed the poor to become middle class are gone. Construction jobs have dropped off dramatically with the collapse of the housing bubble. The American people seemed to have no problem with the transformation of the country from manufacturing to a service sector economy. We allowed high paying jobs to be replaced with low paying jobs.

Businesses want cheap labor and have no problem moving operations to other countries to get it. Those that don't often utilize illegal immigrants for low paying jobs. If the illegals don't have the proper skill sets, bring in the H1B visa labor to replace American workers who have gotten too expensive.

Ways to fix this mess:
1. Tariffs -- anything made outside this country gets taxed to a level high enough to prompt manufacturing within the country. Foreign companies with plants in this country are not affected.
2. Employer penalties -- $1M fine for each illegal alien employed. $10K per employee bounty for anybody turning them in.
3. National ID (showing immigration status/birth place) required for all check cashing, sales, and hiring.
4. Revoke all work visas until unemployment rate drops down to 5%.
5. Tax breaks for companies building new plants in the USA.
6. Tax penalties for companies closing plants in the USA
7. Tax penalties for companies off-shoring jobs (ie call centers/programming in India)
8. Breakup financial institutions that are "too big to fail" and let them fail.
9. Change monetary policy to promote a strong dollar.
10. Reduce government spending to a 2000 level.
11. Repeal NAFTA and leave the WTO.
12. Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley.
13. Go back to the banking regulations before 1999 and Clinton's Financial Services Modernization Act and reimpose the 1933 Glass Steagall Act.
14. Abolish public sector unions.
15. Change immigration law to eliminate the anchor baby concept.

Well, the above is my solution to an ailing economy. Pricing will go up but wages will also go up as will employment levels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
don't worry, the revolution has begun and its much bigger than we realize. this liberal conservative crap will then stop. quit fighting like 5 year olds and go do something. so irritating and unproductive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,216,447 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
2. Employer penalties -- $1M fine for each illegal alien employed. $10K per employee bounty for anybody turning them in.
How exactly do you suppose the government will be able to track how many illegals, if any, a business hires to penalize? They're undocumented, and if they do have documentation (SS number), it was likely stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top