Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

I just hope the UP is properly represented in State and National Government, in a good for the people way. In the past it has not always been so. We have lost our only senior rep. in National Politics, and the only voice locality now seems to be Benecheck, a conservative! Michigan and the US as a whole seems to forget we even exist up here sometimes.! Just one more reason we should become our own state....I know, I am preaching to the wind....maybe someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
And why is it that a conservative (Dan Benishek) can't represent the UP? He was elected by those people and is 10x better than Stupak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I just hope the UP is properly represented in State and National Government, in a good for the people way. In the past it has not always been so. We have lost our only senior rep. in National Politics, and the only voice locality now seems to be Benecheck, a conservative! Michigan and the US as a whole seems to forget we even exist up here sometimes.! Just one more reason we should become our own state....I know, I am preaching to the wind....maybe someday.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
And why is it that a conservative (Dan Benishek) can't represent the UP? He was elected by those people and is 10x better than Stupak.
No need to get into a political discussion, I am a Liberal all the way as was my family as far back as I can remember. Whether or not you know it, Marquette is a Liberal city. One of the reasons I like it here surrounded by nice, reasonable, caring people. Most right wingers are quite scary in their views!, Many want to destroy the Country. Up here, a lot of folks want to see more conservation, and a better natural environment, right wingers are funded by big business and do not care about anything but themselves and trying to rape the land any way they can., including our air, water, etc. So, now you know the real story, if not, open your eyes ans smell the coffee, or better yet, just look at what the right wing in the House are doing. They want to destroy the country at any cost, just to get some religious nuts elected next year....its sick thinking!!! Stupak was not perfect, but in the end, did the right thing. The majority of the rural Midwest is conservative, the UP included.Its nice to see a lot of sane people like myself stand up for a better Country, and a better life for its citizens. Marquette is that kinda place.... Most likely you would not like it here., however, there are exceptions everywhere.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM

88 posts, read 139,063 times
Quote:
No need to get into a political discussion, I am a Liberal all the way as was my family as far back as I can remember. Whether or not you know it, Marquette is a Liberal city. One of the reasons I like it here surrounded by nice, reasonable, caring people. Most right wingers are quite scary in their views!, Many want to destroy the Country. Up here, a lot of folks want to see more conservation, and a better natural environment, right wingers are funded by big business and do not care about anything but themselves and trying to rape the land any way they can., including our air, water, etc. So, now you know the real story, if not, open your eyes ans smell the coffee, or better yet, just look at what the right wing in the House are doing. They want to destroy the country at any cost, just to get some religious nuts elected next year....its sick thinking!!! Stupak was not perfect, but in the end, did the right thing. The majority of the rural Midwest is conservative, the UP included.Its nice to see a lot of sane people like myself stand up for a better Country, and a better life for its citizens. Marquette is that kinda place.... Most likely you would not like it here., however, there are exceptions everywhere.
Glad to see that wasn't a political discussion

Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Glad to see that wasn't a political discussion
As long as he or she does not respond, it will stay as it is, just the facts, nothing more. Quite frankly I am getting tired of this old thread about Rick Snyder. I think most has been said, on both sides. Live with what you got. You should have been more careful what you wished for, that goes for everyone, not just right wingers.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM

179 posts, read 273,755 times
My opinion of him was quite high as a moderate until today when he signed a bill taking away state employees domestic partner benefits! How embarrassing, why would we want to go backwards? And why would we want to have an uncompetitive state employee benefits package?

Just a little bit thrown off, because so far he seems to have been making all the right decisions!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,839 times
If you think that anything you said was fact, you should reread it. I think the facts stopped after declaring yourself a liberal. My school was MTU rather than NMU so I spent more time in Houghton/Hancock than Marquette. I always thought the people that voted Democrat up there were doing more so for selfish reasons because of the dependency on state/federal aid rather than true liberal believers but I could be wrong. I also suspect Houghton was more conservative than Marquette. My other ties were in Chippewa county which didn't seem especially Liberal. Obviously there were more conservatives voting in the Upper Peninsula than liberals if Benishek won.

And in case it didn't occur to you, a lot of us on the other side of the aisle think what the left did from 2008-2010 was VERY scary and that the left seems to want to destroy this country. What you think is destroying the country I think is saving the country. And as far as the caring people that you portray the left as being, which political demonstration do you think would be safer to be at, the tea party or the occupiers?

The big political battle in DC at the moment is about the payroll tax cuts. Temporary cuts simply take money out of the Social Security funds and increase the rate at which it goes bankrupt. If it's so great, make the cuts permanent. The only thing the cuts are really doing is putting $20/week more in worker's hands now by taking the money that's supposed to go for Social Security. This has the potential of making the economy look better in the short term (2012 election year) and making the Republicans look bad for trying to stand on principle. It's all politics and doesn't fix the economy in any way. I'm ashamed that the House Republicans caved on it but it'll get addressed again in 2 months.

With respect to Snyder, he seems to be making all the right decisions and is getting things done which will put Michigan on the right track. I'd say he's already done more good than the former Governor Granholm.
Quote:
As long as he or she does not respond, it will stay as it is, just the facts, nothing more. Quite frankly I am getting tired of this old thread about Rick Snyder. I think most has been said, on both sides. Live with what you got. You should have been more careful what you wished for, that goes for everyone, not just right wingers.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
If you think that anything you said was fact, you should reread it. I think the facts stopped after declaring yourself a liberal. My school was MTU rather than NMU so I spent more time in Houghton/Hancock than Marquette. I always thought the people that voted Democrat up there were doing more so for selfish reasons because of the dependency on state/federal aid rather than true liberal believers but I could be wrong. I also suspect Houghton was more conservative than Marquette. My other ties were in Chippewa county which didn't seem especially Liberal. Obviously there were more conservatives voting in the Upper Peninsula than liberals if Benishek won.

And in case it didn't occur to you, a lot of us on the other side of the aisle think what the left did from 2008-2010 was VERY scary and that the left seems to want to destroy this country. What you think is destroying the country I think is saving the country. And as far as the caring people that you portray the left as being, which political demonstration do you think would be safer to be at, the tea party or the occupiers?

The big political battle in DC at the moment is about the payroll tax cuts. Temporary cuts simply take money out of the Social Security funds and increase the rate at which it goes bankrupt. If it's so great, make the cuts permanent. The only thing the cuts are really doing is putting $20/week more in worker's hands now by taking the money that's supposed to go for Social Security. This has the potential of making the economy look better in the short term (2012 election year) and making the Republicans look bad for trying to stand on principle. It's all politics and doesn't fix the economy in any way. I'm ashamed that the House Republicans caved on it but it'll get addressed again in 2 months.

With respect to Snyder, he seems to be making all the right decisions and is getting things done which will put Michigan on the right track. I'd say he's already done more good than the former Governor Granholm.
I think the Reps. have stepped in it big time. Quite a set back for The Speaker, he will be short lived in that job, just see. Old newt was not so good ether as I recall he got big fines for his conduct.
So, for now, one up for the Dems. Thats good enough for now, I am off politics until I come back from Christmas in Chicago ( no snow). Will be volunteering for the Democratic party in Marquette later. Everyone have a nice holiday. darsstars

Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM

105 posts, read 148,063 times
Have a great safe holiday season Darstar. Maybe they will devert a bit of the monthly billions from the Iragi Lie to the SS fund now.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
If Boehner is out, then Eric Cantor steps in and he is FAR FAR worse, if that is imaginable. My opinion of Snyder? MI needs to start a recall petition and get this guy out of office before he does more damage to the state. Taking away health care benefits for domestic partners? This is not about budget issues, this is backward 19th c politics at its worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan