Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,692,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
If Boehner is out, then Eric Cantor steps in and he is FAR FAR worse, if that is imaginable. My opinion of Snyder? MI needs to start a recall petition and get this guy out of office before he does more damage to the state. Taking away health care benefits for domestic partners? This is not about budget issues, this is backward 19th c politics at its worst.
Do note however, much of this BS is coming from the people of Michigan's far right legislators, not Snyder.

They would have to be voted out before Michigan can slow/stop its transition to becoming a hybrid Mississippi/Texas.

Unfortunately, if they were voted into office in the first place and continue to remain in office, they apparently represent the views the people of Michigan have.

So I say if you want things to change, you're better off moving to a more progressive state (vote with your feet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:21 AM

850 posts, read 1,889,171 times
stop empowering the government......

take your money out of their banks
stop eating their frankenfood
don't purchase or depend on their legal drug operation
save your money, don't spend it
be as independent of energy as much as humanly possible
value people more than materials
screw wall street.....or investing your retirement in it.
get simple.....get local....and stay healthy.....build the community around you....big isn't better
don't vote republican or democrat, and stop blaming the other side already, its a waste.
lastly, if we don't do something about 'parenting'....we'll continue to have a society out of control.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 AM

485 posts, read 962,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
My opinion of him was quite high as a moderate until today when he signed a bill taking away state employees domestic partner benefits! How embarrassing, why would we want to go backwards? And why would we want to have an uncompetitive state employee benefits package?

Just a little bit thrown off, because so far he seems to have been making all the right decisions!
I had the opposite reaction. After "raising taxes" (well, he would call it removing the exemptions) regarding pensions and property taxes (reducing the Homestead Credit) among other "revenue enhancements", I was not too high on him. However, I'm glad to see he repealed this costly initiative that does not belong as a "perk" in a taxpayer-supported entity. The initial cost estimates were a joke compared to what it would really cost the State down the road. Too easily abused and wouldn't have been supported if put to a public referendum anyway.

As a state-employee turned private sector employee, I can somewhat attest to the fact that the state's benefit package has a long way to go before being labelled "uncompetitive". Vacation/sick/holiday leave, health, life/disability, among other benefits, are still ahead of what the private sector gives, including the auto industry.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
No need to get into a political discussion, I am a Liberal all the way as was my family as far back as I can remember. Whether or not you know it, Marquette is a Liberal city. One of the reasons I like it here surrounded by nice, reasonable, caring people. Most right wingers are quite scary in their views!, Many want to destroy the Country. Up here, a lot of folks want to see more conservation, and a better natural environment, right wingers are funded by big business and do not care about anything but themselves and trying to rape the land any way they can., including our air, water, etc. So, now you know the real story, if not, open your eyes ans smell the coffee, or better yet, just look at what the right wing in the House are doing. They want to destroy the country at any cost, just to get some religious nuts elected next year....its sick thinking!!! Stupak was not perfect, but in the end, did the right thing. The majority of the rural Midwest is conservative, the UP included.Its nice to see a lot of sane people like myself stand up for a better Country, and a better life for its citizens. Marquette is that kinda place.... Most likely you would not like it here., however, there are exceptions everywhere.
Love these kinds of uninformed gross generlizations. Makes me picture a guy with long greasey black hair, glazed eyes, trails of white powder below his notrils, a foul odor and a Yale sweatshirt standing on a park bench screaming and yelling this at people as they walk by.

I love rants. Thank you for this.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,880,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Love these kinds of uninformed gross generlizations. Makes me picture a guy with long greasey black hair, glazed eyes, trails of white powder below his notrils, a foul odor and a Yale sweatshirt standing on a park bench screaming and yelling this at people as they walk by.

Not sure where you are coming from, but if a debate on the facts( things I have said in general) bother you, then just keep watching Fox , they have all the answers.Remember , the same craze's could come from the extreme right or left. One look at some of the Tea Party crowd, was enough for me, I know where they are coming from, and where they are going.
There is no " typical" right wing thinker as there is not on the Left ether. Its seems strange, one observation coming from the Right says all the lefties are bleeding heart intellectuals , mostly higher education elitists who think everyone has entitlements promised to them by our Government .Who drive Volkswagen's or Volvo's cars, used to smoke a pipe, but no more, except for some weed once in a while.Are tree huger's ,and express their care for mankind, animals, and even some Righties, for many of those do not know what they say or do, they have been brain washed, mostly by family, Fox, and scary seriousness fears that their freedoms will be taken away ...any day.,. Have I presented enough stereotypes for you yet? Do you want to add more, be my guest. This is a not winning argument, I am sure you know that, we all have had our discussions....a lot of them at Starbucks , where most right wing thinkers would never step into.Coffee Houses have always been for the thinkers, and yes , a lot of " hippies" as well. No one owns the peace sign, but I am sure a large amount of Lefties use it ...everyday.Kinda comforting when you see it from a passer by , as well as a friend and family.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM

485 posts, read 962,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Especially the kind of generalizations that begin with something like they don't want to get into political discussions. Gosh, does he think there aren't people who think his side is "scary" or "nuts"?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Especially the kind of generalizations that begin with something like they don't want to get into political discussions. Gosh, does he think there aren't people who think his side is "scary" or "nuts"?
Why don't you address me directly ? ......I have a lot of friends that are right wingers, I know all the talking points. Yes, and I said so..(just read), that are far to the left lefties.Sure they can be scary., but we all know they will never be elected. Same goes for Far Right folks. Do you really think Ron Paul will win the nomination ? . I would guess not, and, he is the most honest you guys have got. Paul is a true Libertarian, and I respect him for that. Not like the others who change policy statements almost every day. I do find it entertaining, and like I said before, there is no winning any arguments for any of us. Just our rights to say what we believe, that goes for all, lets try to keep that part of our freedoms !.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM

105 posts, read 147,380 times
Hope you had a good christmas darstar. Ron Pual I am sure will not run for president as a member of the GOP party even though he makes more sence than most.
He will how ever I believe run on another party ticket possiably the Libertarian party ticket.

That how ever has nothing to do with King Richard. On a resent OTR PBS show the panal has said that King Richard really wants that bridge to Canada despite what the citzens have told their localy elected leaders in Lansing. The panal, said King Richard will try to by pass the house and senate and use another method to get his Moument built.

Al

Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
Hope you had a good christmas darstar. Ron Pual I am sure will not run for president as a member of the GOP party even though he makes more sence than most.
He will how ever I believe run on another party ticket possiably the Libertarian party ticket.

That how ever has nothing to do with King Richard. On a resent OTR PBS show the panal has said that King Richard really wants that bridge to Canada despite what the citzens have told their localy elected leaders in Lansing. The panal, said King Richard will try to by pass the house and senate and use another method to get his Moument built.

Al
I have not been following Rick Synder since he got elected. I saw through his " man of the people,non partisan talk long ago".
So, tell me one thing. Is not the new bridge being paid for by Canada ? Remember, only half is on US soil. Canada is our largest trading pardner, and the international traffic that comes through Detroit is huge. We are in trucking, and most of the drivers we work with go through Port Huron anyway these days due to the hassle and the traffic problems with an outdated entry on the US side in Detroit.... Also, what ever happened to the tunnel ? I thought that was going to take a big load off the Bridge.?
For the last 3 years, at the height of the depression, it was our business with mostly Ontario/Toronto that kept us in business !.... Its different now, industrial traffic has returned to the US, we as is everyone is very busy, and can't find enough trucks to get the freight hauled,on time and demand. Ether way, I see what we do as a forerunner to the consumer recovery, about 6-8 months out. Its always been that way for as long as I have been in business, about 40 years.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 AM

105 posts, read 147,380 times
Depends on who you talk to and listen to on who is going to pay for a new Bridge. Canadians I know say h ell no we're(canadian people) not paying for it. Some say it will be a split between Michigan and Canada.
And some say that if Canada does kick in money the people Of Michigan are going to have to repay it If it isn't a international bridge and the federal goverment pay some of the cost.

there is a private company that wants to build, I believe it is the owners of the Winsor bridge.

Just let them build it then use the domain law to take it away from them for next to nothing if they over charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan