U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,948,839 times

Advertisements

Business | National retailers looking to expand in Michigan | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110616/BIZ/106160342/National-retailers-looking-to-expand-in-Michigan - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,208,330 times
I don't like him, and I don't like what's happening to this state. It's becoming a little too 'red' for my tastes. We are turning into a backwards hick state more and more by the day.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,948,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't like him, and I don't like what's happening to this state. It's becoming a little too 'red' for my tastes. We are turning into a backwards hick state more and more by the day.
Huh????

Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
This is so cute. I'm sure I knew everything there was to know when I was your age too, it goes with the territory. Actually though, if you really are planning on ever getting out of Michigan (and plaguing this forum with your negativity), then your best prospects would probably be a red state, since those are the ones that seem to be run by fiscally responsible conservatives and have the best economies as a result. Think Texas, the Dakotas, Oklahoma, and Utah.

BTW, anyone who aligns their s/n with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3PJE...eature=related

a.) can't be all bad, and

b.) should probably be careful when throwing the word "hick" around. LOL.

Last edited by canudigit; 06-16-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,208,330 times
No, there is no point in speaking with you canudigit. I'm one to put my money where my mouth is, and I'll be straight out of here in about 5 weeks. Have fun depending on the automotive industry to prop things up. Seems like a great move, especially with all the educated folk like me now realizing we don't need to own cars.

P.S. That isn't where I got the name from. Try watching HBO. Or maybe that's too expensive for you?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
EB&DChick,

I wish you well wherever you end up, and since you believe that living in Michigan is the source of your anger, then hopefully things will get better for you when you move.

Good luck and goodbye.

Last edited by canudigit; 06-17-2011 at 03:44 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 AM

766 posts, read 1,446,100 times
You're lucky you even have an employee pension. Most people don't get a pension -- it's strictly self-funded 401k/IRA. The price of goods doesn't have much to do with Michigan politics except for the state taxes and most states are the same way. MI is one of the better states for retirement with the housing costs as low as they are. The guy earning 500K will pay a lot more in taxes than you; he's paying a higher percentage and even if it were the same percentage -- that's a lot more in absolute dollars.

I do agree with you about employers. There is no such thing as employer loyalty or even employee loyalty now; the days are over when an employee worked for a single employer his whole life. Employers just look for the cheapest labor. Employers generally don't keep up with inflation or the true value of an employee anymore in compensation so new employees come in making as much or more than the "loyal" employees. An employee with skills can generally make more by job hopping to somewhere else. Employers then no longer train employees for fear of losing that investment to a competitor. I think you can blame this on the young MBA's of the past twenty years trying to optimize short-term profits with a very high long-term cost. Even worse is the outsourcing (moving jobs overseas) and the insourcing (illegal immigrants, H1B visas). But heck, even having a job is luck these days with the "official" 9.1% unemployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I'm for the recall because he felt a need to
raise my tax load by taxing my pention. Paying taxes on that was never in the planing mix of things either so it has became a unexpected expence for me. I can not speak for every one retired in the state but for me the last 8 years has gotten me wishing I had never retired in the first place.

Fuel for the use of a boat to go fishing went from $1.35 a gallon when I retired to (yesterdays price) $3.81 a gallon. can't aford to use a boat for fishing. Fuel for the truck went from $1.28 a gallon to (yesterday price)$3.95 a gallon. A 50 pound bag of dog food was just over $9.00 when I retired and now it is over $20.00 for 41 pounds. A gallon of milk was $1.00 when I retired and now it is well over $2.00 a gallon. I am sure that many retirees are in the same sinking boat that I am in and can not afford that tax. A tax so that bussiness can get a tax cut with out any strings, you get it just because you do bussiness in Michigan. You don't have to hire any one, You do not have to give a raise to a worker with in the company.

The statement was made we all have to share the burden. Show me Where any person living in the state of Michigan that makes over $500,000 a year is shareing the burden. What have they sacrficed to bring Michigans unemployeement rate down.
By the way it was reported this week Michigans unemployeement rate went up in May. Cause for it going down in the first place was not do to King Richard.
Mostly it was do to the recovery of the auto industry such as GM and the Volts special needs. Chrylser and its road to recovery also.

Companies have no morals when it comes to workers, cities, states or countrys. Older workers who tend to be paid the most in non union shops are let go first as the less paid is more money for them. They leave cities to go to other cities where they get higher tax abatements they do the same with in the states. But today the trend is to just move to a country where slave labor can be had.

Of course you never saved the campain ads from King Richard but he did make the promise to bring jobs & make jobs for Michigan. so either he planed on starting a new company here or he planed on goverment making jobs.

Also do not ever get the idea that your money is safe when invested in a major company. GM screwed a whole bunch of investers as I bet chyler did too.

Al

Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Have you folks thought about where the new car plants got built ? BMW in SC. and MB in AL. There are others in Tn. and KY....even Ohio. It was all about how good a deal the state and local leaders could give advantages to the Car Companies.
There was a time when all the poor hill folks moved to Detroit to work in the Car factories. The brought their lifestyle with them. I guess thats what some of you are talking about ?... It was a complete reversal of what happened since the 30s. labor cost had a lot to do with the outcome, but also , the Car Companies had problems finding skilled people. Now there is renued interest in coming back to Michigan.... All in all , Michigan is a great place to live with so much diversity. We have the skilled workers, the empty factory towns, now we need the jobs to go with it.... Michigan will rise from the ashes once again, just wait and see.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM

3,081 posts, read 2,905,755 times
I want to make sure i got this right. It is ricks fault for michigans problems in his less than yr on the job not jens. But it is not obamas fault for the national problem its bushes fault. Ok got it. The national problem has nothing to do with michigan either right? Cool i get it now... Is it global warming or global cooling or called climate change now? Electric cars run off electricty from coal plants or is it e85 flex fuel made up of corn thats better? Carbon credits so companies can pay to pollute??? Why dont we have a national recycling program like michigan has had for 30 plus yrs on bottles and cans.. As long as they are not water bottles??? Give me a break libs!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,224,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I want to make sure i got this right. It is ricks fault for michigans problems in his less than yr on the job not jens. But it is not obamas fault for the national problem its bushes fault. Ok got it. The national problem has nothing to do with michigan either right? Cool i get it now... Is it global warming or global cooling or called climate change now? Electric cars run off electricty from coal plants or is it e85 flex fuel made up of corn thats better? Carbon credits so companies can pay to pollute??? Why dont we have a national recycling program like michigan has had for 30 plus yrs on bottles and cans.. As long as they are not water bottles??? Give me a break libs!!!
It was not the Liberals that shut down all the hydro projects, as well as old ones you could not start back up without a permit. ( no permits were issued). The Lobby for big power was behind all that.
The day will come when we will restart Ethanol plants with switch grass, and corn again when commodity prices fall. Its aLL about big money and it has not been the Dems. who let these enterprizes grow to the " too big to fail" state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan