Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by michmoldman
I dont understand the recall? If Snyder is recalled...who takes his place? And when all these same people get pissed at the new person who took his place...then what? There is NO ONE who will replace Gov. Snyder who will be able to please everyone. That has never happened...never will. There has to be some TOUGH choices being made to help this state, and Gov. Snyder is doing that. I dont understand what these people want??
This is kind of where I am. I'm definitely not a Republican, and I don't like some of what he's doing, (like taking money away from k-12 and giving to higher ed) but I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude on the other stuff. It's way too early for a recall. After all, whatever was tried the past ten years certainly didn't do anything, so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
You know a lot of ignorant people. These people are simply the ones who sucked off the old regime. People need to learn that government spending has to be reduced to sustainable levels. Governments aren't in the "job creating" business. The way to job creation is via the private sector; the best thing that government can do is get out of the way by lowering taxes and decreasing the regulation burden on private businesses. Snyder seems to understand this.

Any recall effort is simply a bunch of poor losers trying to change the outcome of an election. This guy did more good for the state in 6 months than Granholm did in two terms. If you want a change of power, vote in the next election -- don't try to circumvent the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
Everyone I know hates the man. Everyone I know is making it a point to be sign the petition. Even people that usually don't care about politics at all.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
You know a lot of ignorant people. These people are simply the ones who sucked off the old regime. People need to learn that government spending has to be reduced to sustainable levels. Governments aren't in the "job creating" business. The way to job creation is via the private sector; the best thing that government can do is get out of the way by lowering taxes and decreasing the regulation burden on private businesses. Snyder seems to understand this.

Any recall effort is simply a bunch of poor losers trying to change the outcome of an election. This guy did more good for the state in 6 months than Granholm did in two terms. If you want a change of power, vote in the next election -- don't try to circumvent the system.
A beautiful post.

When I was driving home from work yesterday, there was a handful of angry people standing in the downtown area of our small town holding up "Recall Rick" signs and yelling and screaming, trying to get everyone's attention as they drove by. I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't have anything better to do than to stand around being angry and ineffective. If you don't like the candidate who was legally elected to office by a majority of the voting public, then work hard to prepare someone who you believe actually has better ideas and a better plan, then work hard to get them nominated to run in the next election. That's the way it's done, at least by mature, rational people.

I'm betting that at least a few of these folks are unemployed and blame it on a governor who has been in office for six months, instead of the previous administration who had eight years to make things better for them or better yet, take personal responsibility for their lack of education or job skills or their five tattoos on each arm and big stud through their chin, which makes them virtually unemployable to many companies who don't want someone that looks that representing their company. Hard but true fact: your appearance DOES matter when seeking employment. Make an effort to see what YOU are doing to keep yourself from being employed, not what a man who has been in office for six months and inherited one of the worst state economies in the history of the United States is doing.

Last edited by canudigit; 06-16-2011 at 04:37 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 AM

362 posts, read 695,779 times
I'm for the recall because he felt a need to raise my tax load by taxing my pention. Paying taxes on that was never in the planing mix of things either so it has became a unexpected expence for me. I can not speak for every one retired in the state but for me the last 8 years has gotten me wishing I had never retired in the first place.

Fuel for the use of a boat to go fishing went from $1.35 a gallon when I retired to (yesterdays price) $3.81 a gallon. can't aford to use a boat for fishing. Fuel for the truck went from $1.28 a gallon to (yesterday price)$3.95 a gallon. A 50 pound bag of dog food was just over $9.00 when I retired and now it is over $20.00 for 41 pounds. A gallon of milk was $1.00 when I retired and now it is well over $2.00 a gallon. I am sure that many retirees are in the same sinking boat that I am in and can not afford that tax. A tax so that bussiness can get a tax cut with out any strings, you get it just because you do bussiness in Michigan. You don't have to hire any one, You do not have to give a raise to a worker with in the company.

The statement was made we all have to share the burden. Show me Where any person living in the state of Michigan that makes over $500,000 a year is shareing the burden. What have they sacrficed to bring Michigans unemployeement rate down.
By the way it was reported this week Michigans unemployeement rate went up in May. Cause for it going down in the first place was not do to King Richard.
Mostly it was do to the recovery of the auto industry such as GM and the Volts special needs. Chrylser and its road to recovery also.

Companies have no morals when it comes to workers, cities, states or countrys. Older workers who tend to be paid the most in non union shops are let go first as the less paid is more money for them. They leave cities to go to other cities where they get higher tax abatements they do the same with in the states. But today the trend is to just move to a country where slave labor can be had.

Of course you never saved the campain ads from King Richard but he did make the promise to bring jobs & make jobs for Michigan. so either he planed on starting a new company here or he planed on goverment making jobs.

Also do not ever get the idea that your money is safe when invested in a major company. GM screwed a whole bunch of investers as I bet chyler did too.

Al

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
A beautiful post.

When I was driving home from work yesterday, there was a handful of angry people standing in the downtown area of our small town holding up "Recall Rick" signs and yelling and screaming, trying to get everyone's attention as they drove by. I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't have anything better to do than to stand around being angry and ineffective. If you don't like the candidate who was legally elected to office by a majority of the voting public, then work hard to prepare someone who you believe actually has better ideas and a better plan, then work hard to get them nominated to run in the next election. That's the way it's done, at least by mature, rational people.

I'm betting that at least a few of these folks are unemployed and blame it on a governor who has been in office for six months, instead of the previous administration who had eight years to make things better for them or better yet, take personal responsibility for their lack of education or job skills or their five tattoos on each arm and big stud through their chin, which makes them virtually unemployable to many companies who don't want someone that looks that representing their company. Hard but true fact: your appearance DOES matter when seeking employment. Make an effort to see what YOU are doing to keep yourself from being employed, not what a man who has been in office for six months and inherited one of the worst state economies in the history of the United States is doing.
Exactly. I saw the same thing in Flint yesterday. Dont they have anything better to do??

Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Companies exist to make money. That is their job. Churches are for morals. Government and churches handle charity. If a company can get better work for less money from a younger person, it is their responsibility to their investors to switch. Shareholders cna choose to instruct their boards to handle things differently and focus on morals rather than on profitability if they choose, but the company's job is to make money unless instructed otherwise.

They go to other countries, because their option is to close. They can make their products elsewhere or charge 30% more for their products and not sell any. Chrysler, GM and Ford have all done the same thing. A large percentage of their products are made in Mexico. Lots of their parts come from China, Korea or Japan. What is interesting is that the German Car companies remain competitive. However I am nto sure whether they do much or any manufacturing in Germany. By the way, Chrysler is an Italian company, not an American Company.

Recalling Snyder will not bring back the handouts that the state can no longer afford. It will not eliminate taxes (which almost every other state has as well). It will not have any impact at all on gas prices. It will not bring companies back to Michgian. It certainly will not balance the state budget.

BY the way, how do you get cheaper gas for your boat? Why not put that gas in your car?

Incidentally Canoes, kayaks and row boats do not require any gas. You can fish from any of those. You can ride to the lake on a bicycle or cross country skis int he winter. Neither require any gasoline.

On top of that, you will live longer, be more healthy and less of a tax burden if you row or paddle instead of motoring (oh and you will pollute less too - that will make the liberals happy).

Where do you get mile for $2 a gallon and gas for $3.81? I think that we had better move there. My gas this morning was $4.09.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I'm for the recall because he felt a need to raise my tax load by taxing my pention. Paying taxes on that was never in the planing mix of things either so it has became a unexpected expence for me. I can not speak for every one retired in the state but for me the last 8 years has gotten me wishing I had never retired in the first place.

Fuel for the use of a boat to go fishing went from $1.35 a gallon when I retired to (yesterdays price) $3.81 a gallon. can't aford to use a boat for fishing. Fuel for the truck went from $1.28 a gallon to (yesterday price)$3.95 a gallon. A 50 pound bag of dog food was just over $9.00 when I retired and now it is over $20.00 for 41 pounds. A gallon of milk was $1.00 when I retired and now it is well over $2.00 a gallon. I am sure that many retirees are in the same sinking boat that I am in and can not afford that tax. A tax so that bussiness can get a tax cut with out any strings, you get it just because you do bussiness in Michigan. You don't have to hire any one, You do not have to give a raise to a worker with in the company.

The statement was made we all have to share the burden. Show me Where any person living in the state of Michigan that makes over $500,000 a year is shareing the burden. What have they sacrficed to bring Michigans unemployeement rate down.
By the way it was reported this week Michigans unemployeement rate went up in May. Cause for it going down in the first place was not do to King Richard.
Mostly it was do to the recovery of the auto industry such as GM and the Volts special needs. Chrylser and its road to recovery also.

Companies have no morals when it comes to workers, cities, states or countrys. Older workers who tend to be paid the most in non union shops are let go first as the less paid is more money for them. They leave cities to go to other cities where they get higher tax abatements they do the same with in the states. But today the trend is to just move to a country where slave labor can be had.

Of course you never saved the campain ads from King Richard but he did make the promise to bring jobs & make jobs for Michigan. so either he planed on starting a new company here or he planed on goverment making jobs.

Also do not ever get the idea that your money is safe when invested in a major company. GM screwed a whole bunch of investers as I bet chyler did too.

Al
I agree with many of your posts, but I have to ask....once he does get things in order, dont you think he may ease up on these a bit? Its like a family who needs to cut back...so they get rid of Netflix. When things are better financially they may get Netflix again. I think thats the same way here in Michigan. When things get better financially...he will ease up on some of the things he has needed to do. I dont understand what you people who want to recall him are thinking. How do you know the next guy will not be worse? You just cant tax the hell out of every big business in Michigan because you know what they will do? Yup...they'll move somewhere else and take all the jobs with them. And a lot of businesses do a lot for the community besides providing jobs. I just think this is a knee-jerk reaction without thinking much about what will happen if he is recalled....which I dont think will happen.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
He is not very popular here in the UP , thats for sure !....... Not a new thing in any case. Upper Michigan has been getting the short straw for many years. The big companies come here, rape the land, take all ours treasures, and leave little.
What we all need in Michigan upper and lower , is more of the tourist dollar. The worst they can do is leave trash for us to clean up, not nice. But , it does give a fair amount of jobs. One of our problems this year is the Michigan Government has closed a lot of campgrounds and roadside parks..... Like I said before , the new Gov. is not a friend of the UP.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
He is not very popular here in the UP , thats for sure !....... Not a new thing in any case. Upper Michigan has been getting the short straw for many years. The big companies come here, rape the land, take all ours treasures, and leave little.
What we all need in Michigan upper and lower , is more of the tourist dollar. The worst they can do is leave trash for us to clean up, not nice. But , it does give a fair amount of jobs. One of our problems this year is the Michigan Government has closed a lot of campgrounds and roadside parks..... Like I said before , the new Gov. is not a friend of the UP.
Granholm must of been thought of worse. Note when the cutbacks started ...

'In May, the DNR announced it would be closing 23 of the 133 state forest campgrounds in the northern Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula. State forest campgrounds are rustic camping sites located within state forest land – they are not state parks. Reasons cited for the closures are a 63 percent reduction in General Fund support for the State Forest Recreation Program over the last three years and declining use and revenues.'

As noted in the article's title, 23 campgrounds originally targeted for closure will remain open.

http://blog.rv.net/2011/05/gr8lakesc...t-campgrounds/

Old 06-16-2011, 02:13 PM

IndustryWeek : A Governor's Perspective: Re-Inventing Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan