U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 9,241 times

Advertisements

Hello all
My family and I are researching property & area / stats etc.. of northern Michigan . We are relocating from just south of Nashville,tn
3 out of 4 of my family members have health conditions that make us heat intolerant . We have many 100+ degree heat days here from June on till fall and it is awful ! We need a home rural but close driving distance to town , safe neighborhood , jobs not a big issue as we live on set fixed income . I don't mind fixer uppers as we have have spent yrs remodeling our home here. I need info on taxes , laws , we have no school age children so schools not an issue . Prefer not to be directly on coast and definitely not near any cities . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .I will be posting this in other categories if I can find any , I am new to forum posting so pls bear with me . thanks alot , peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 7,942,846 times
Michigan does get heat and humidity in the summer too, just not as much as you are used to. I live in the central part of lower Mi and it reached the low 90s just a few days ago. You say you would like to avoid the shore areas, but those places would have less extreme heat days. As far as our taxes go you will find we have higher property taxes then you are used to. (TN has no prop tax right??) However you will save alot of money buying a house, we have very low cost housing here. Nice areas I would focus on would be anywhere around Traverse city, and Petoskey. If you do want to be inland a bit, I would suggest Gaylord or Cadilac. In the UP Marquette and Iron Mountain are nice areas too. You really cannot go wrong anywhere you pick in the northern half of the state. Absolutely avoid anything south and east of Flint. Remember the farther north you go in Michigan the nicer it gets. If you live near Nashville now you may find Michigan to be very rural and slow paced. The only place in Michigan you will find that has a faster pace is the 4 or 5 counties that make up metro Detroit, and as I said before your best to avoid that area. If you like outdoor activities then you will like living in Mi. I know Tn is an outdoorsey state too, so that should be an easy transition.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 AM

Smile Relocating to Northern Michigan

Hi , thanks for the reply . We do have property tax in my state , actually because of where I live in the county We pay both city and county property taxes.
Yes , you are correct I do not want anywhere near a large city , I detest the frenetic pace . I like peace , quiet , gardening , nature . If I want to see a movie thats what netflix is for !
We are gonna do some tweaking on our home and put it on the market soon at well below market value just so we can sell and move much quicker. Its a good location , rural but 30 minutes from Huntsville , Alabama & about and 1.5 hr south of Nashville , 45 minutes from Bonnaroo , 30 minutes from Lynchburg ( Jack Daniels ) , I guess pretty good selling points for someone wanting southern country ... guess I am just tired of it and seriously need a change of pace .
We look forward to coming upstate for exploring our options soon . My husband wants to do this during his late summer vacation from work .
So , you say Cadillac is a pretty good area ? I did some reading on it , sounds good . What can you tell me about the Manistee forest area ?
Thanks again for your info , Peace , Donna

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,795,461 times
For me my health is basically the only reason I have not moved back to MI. Not the summers but the winters are very hard on my pain and health. The hot and humidity though is no picnic in the park that is for sure. Have you been to MI in the winter? You may want to see how you do. I am from Oakland County but spring,summer,and fall are overall so nice.
I am not sure of small towns but good luck with your choice. Overall and I have lived many places MI is my favorite.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,410 times
Alpena would be a city that would probably meet your criteria. It's far enough up to not have so many hot/humid days - yet relatively isolated anyone just "passing through on 75". The cost is considerably less than the Western (Traverse City) side but you have plenty of lakes/forests/rural opportunities nearby.

Port Austin in the Thumb is another similar type place that you might want to check out for that "rural" feel yet still being able to get water views.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
558 posts, read 995,658 times
Peaceful, Hi =)

Can you humor me with a bit more of information. What do you want nearby? I'm assuming rural..or is suburbia ok also? Do you have a cost budget? Michigan is a huge state. With a bit more information we can help you narrow down your searches. I have personal favorites here but it might not be what you want at all. Thanks =)

(examples of stuff near by: lakes, large bodies of water, farming, horse country, hunting, fishing, small town feel, or are you willing to drive 30-hour to shop.)

cities I would suggest looking into would be( based on rural, not suburbia) Paw Paw, Atlanta, Ludington, Holland, coopersville, sparta, Rockford, Lowell, Grand Haven, Douglas, Muskegon ( but that's more suburbia) butt hey have some very nice rural area's about 30 minutes outside it.

Battlecreek, Kalamzoo, and Adrian are more inland but maybe surburia/rural consideration.

I would recommend west side of the state, or look North of Baycity / west of lansing and up to keep the country rural feels. From Baycity down to far Se corner is our main devopleoped 'cities" and then on the west those would be Grand rapids, Muskegon, Traverse City.

I grew up in White Lake( just south of Mear's Michigan home of the sliver lake sand dunes) Ludington/pentwater /mainstee is my 'dream area ' to buy a home again in Michigan.

Last edited by klmquiroz; 06-14-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Default BEARS ! eeeek

Wow ! so much information to research , you are all so helpful . New info to me , not to all you most likely .....BEARS !!!!! When I read this I said , what ? No , I don't think so . Call me Wuss , But I don't relish being devoured or otherwise mauled by Yogi . What can Ya'll ( pardon the southern vernacular) tell me about which area NOT to buy into. Also , we want to pay cash for a modest but sturdy @ least 3 bd , 2 bath , preferably an acre or few . I would like to keep cost in the 20,000's /30s
I know thats not much but from what I have seen so far in my research that can get something nice . I don't need fancy , just solid , safe not too rural but not city either . Thanks so much again for everyones help , Donna

Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 7,942,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulchi View Post
Hi , thanks for the reply . We do have property tax in my state , actually because of where I live in the county We pay both city and county property taxes.
Yes , you are correct I do not want anywhere near a large city , I detest the frenetic pace . I like peace , quiet , gardening , nature . If I want to see a movie thats what netflix is for !
We are gonna do some tweaking on our home and put it on the market soon at well below market value just so we can sell and move much quicker. Its a good location , rural but 30 minutes from Huntsville , Alabama & about and 1.5 hr south of Nashville , 45 minutes from Bonnaroo , 30 minutes from Lynchburg ( Jack Daniels ) , I guess pretty good selling points for someone wanting southern country ... guess I am just tired of it and seriously need a change of pace .
We look forward to coming upstate for exploring our options soon . My husband wants to do this during his late summer vacation from work .
So , you say Cadillac is a pretty good area ? I did some reading on it , sounds good . What can you tell me about the Manistee forest area ?
Thanks again for your info , Peace , Donna

The Manistee forest is very similar to most of Michigans forest areas. They all have hiking trails, and acess to thousands of lakes. If you like fishing and hunting then it is a paradise. Alot of Michigans forests are maple, and some areas of pine. I have always liked the area around Cadilac, lots of forest and hills. (no not like you have in Tn, but big hills by midwestern standards lol) Another poster suggested you check out the Alpena area, that is also a good choice especially if you are looking to keep cost down. Northeast lower Mi is very very cheap, and its quiet and rural. Another low cost area of Michigan people forget about is Michigans thumb. (Bad Axe, Caro area) It is the area of the state east of Saginaw/Flint, and on the south side of Saginaw bay. It is very quiet and rural, and heavily agricultural. You would find a quiet low cost of living in that area as well. Soil quality is good there so gardening would be a good hobby there.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

8,158 posts, read 12,110,791 times
If you have health issues wouldn't you want to be near some health resources?
20,000-30,000 won't get you much even up north.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM

939 posts, read 2,413,387 times
Have u ever heard of Munson Medical Center??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If you have health issues wouldn't you want to be near some health resources?
20,000-30,000 won't get you much even up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or