U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,241,488 times

Advertisements

Went this past weekend. The weather was terrible, cool and wet. BUT, this town was a total surprise. Very charming. Downtown looked like a movie set. Walked along front street. Almost no chain stuff. Looked like most nice downtowns many years ago. Very well cared for city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,409,005 times
I'm glad you enjoyed Traverse City in spite of the bad weather. I agree that downtown is great! I like all of Traverse. It's just a great small/mid size city with much to see and do there. I hope you tried some of its wonderful food too.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM

6,235 posts, read 8,643,283 times
Glad you liked it. I'm convinced that Traverse City is one of the nicest towns in Michigan, and definitely my favorite.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 AM

And I am not even sure why I thought it would be run down. It certainly wasn't! I would consider investing or retirement there, but just not into cold weather anymore. Will be looking down south for that. Still, Traverse City has lots to offer.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 3,794,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
And I am not even sure why I thought it would be run down. It certainly wasn't! I would consider investing or retirement there, but just not into cold weather anymore. Will be looking down south for that. Still, Traverse City has lots to offer.
It USED to be pretty run down, like the downtowns of many small Michigan cities. Malls on the edge of town suck customers away from the central business district and pretty soon the stores start to fail, then vacant store fronts and dilapidation follow.
Downtown Traverse City is a success story...a big one. The town resisted the temptation to turn the downtown into a mall (something that almost happened) and moved strongly to keep downtown vital and alive and a traditional small city center.
Over the years the Downtown Development people worked hard to keep businesses there and attract others, as well as nurturing cultural magnets like the restored Opera House, the State Theater and the now well established Traverse City Film Festival. Along the way a lot of people ( film maker Michael Moore with the Film Festival) and organizations (the Traverse Rotary saved the iconic Park Place Hotel) pitched in with time, energy and money.
The result is a wonderful, vibrant downtown, and in the past 6 years or so a number of quality restaurants and the restored State Theater have opened, putting the finishing touch on downtown TC. I think it will continue to evolve and grow in positive ways.
Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 PM

tecpatl- very interesting info. They have certainly done a fine job. We were so impressed. If you can get rid of the cold and snow, we will move there!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,959,620 times
Quote:
tecpatl- very interesting info. They have certainly done a fine job. We were so impressed. If you can get rid of the cold and snow, we will move there!
Thats where we want to move also...except we want to move FOR the snow...and awesome summers.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 PM

1,856 posts, read 3,099,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Thats where we want to move also...except we want to move FOR the snow...and awesome summers.
i agree

Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 3,794,619 times
Quote:
What...you didn't see the palm trees?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:25 AM

tecpatl- Must have missed the palm trees. Probably too busy looking at the million pine trees! I have lived in Minnesota and Buffalo,NY...... I really have had my fill of snow. For those wanting to move to a snowy, cold climate, you probably couldn't pick a much finer place than Traverse City! Invite me up JUN-Sept!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or