Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,235,489 times

Advertisements

AND... WHY is it your favorite beach ?

AND what beaches on east side of lake Michigan are ROCKY ???

Thanks in advance...
Sillypups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
Sturgeon Bay on the north end of Emmet County. There is lots of sand, a few rocky areas, and lots of private areas. Also some nice dunes to play on.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,165,298 times
Country beach: the miles of shoreline in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, particularly North Bar Lake and Good Harbor Bay.
In town: In the village of Leland, Van's Beach, south of the harbor (Cedar st west to the parking lot then a short path thru the trees to wide sandy public beach) or North Beach, in Leland on the West end of North St., north of the harbor.
Both give access to miles of shoreline, nice sandy beach with good swimming, good Petoskey stone picking and the only place in the world (outside of pricey jewelry) where the famous Leland Blue stone can be found by beachwalkers.
Another good "town" beach is Empire beach, in that southern Leelanau village.

Van's beach

Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,860,107 times
East side....Tawas State Park beach and Caseville....why? Go find out for yourself...awesome!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
Leland is nice, but for some reason (I'm a picky spoilsport, I guess) the Manitou Islands on the horizon ruin the view for me. Still a very nice place, though, and one of my wife's favorite places on Earth. (She went without me last year as I don't often like going north of Oakland County). My other fav is in St. Joseph- I don't remember the name of the park, but it's a county park close to downtown (might have been downtown but I don't remember) and it was lovely and open a lot later into the night than I would have expected.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
My favorite beach is whichever one I'm laying on at the moment. Usually that would be the beach around the Ludington area. It can vary anywhere along the miles of sand between the southern edge of the Ludington State Park all the way through the Nordhouse Dunes area and Lake Michigan Recreational area. Just depends on where the people are NOT. I can't stand laying on a beach and having anybody within 1/4 mile of me... guess I am a bit spoiled .

As for rocky beaches on this side of the Lake, I can't think of any that are all rock and what most people think of as a rocky beach. For me a rocky beach is one that there are rocks mixed in the sand, for that I can only think of a couple like that in the area.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:32 PM

902 posts, read 1,918,708 times
I may be biased because my grandmother lived there , my mom grew up there , I've been going there since the early 1950's before it became a State Park , but for me it's the Tawas State Park . If you can make it up the stairs , they do lighthouse tours and it still works btw

Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
The long-departed OP asked about beaches on the east side of Lake Michigan. Not the west side or the UP.

I second Tawas, and a bit north of there: Harrisville (there's a small campground in Harrisville and miles of sandy beach.) For rocky beaches on the east side... just north of the Harrisville campground the shoreline gets rocky but you can still walk for miles.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,860,107 times
Sorry...I thought you said east side of state earlier. Everyone has mentioned some great ones, and there is also a hidden gem in Empire with a fantastic beach and playground.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,449,310 times
I like Empire and Grand Haven. I have good memories of Grand Haven from my college days and it's a nice beach town. Empire is a gem--especially in the morning when no one's about. Just you, the sand, the wind and the waves with the Sleeping Bear Dunes in the distance. One morning I went and the lake was literally sapphire blue. Absolutely gorgeous.

To US66: You're thinking of Silver Beach, I think. It's a top rated beach and also very nice. I look forward to going there a lot in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan