U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM

28 posts, read 59,386 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some good canoeing or even river tubing around the Cheboygan area. Group of mid to late 20 year old guys so a cooler of alcohol will be involved. Willing to drive 45mins if necessary. I found Big Bear Adventures, Indian River, Michigan Canoeing but it doesn't seem too alcohol friendly, plus that river looks challenging which could be very dangerous.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

550 posts, read 1,961,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
I'm looking for some good canoeing or even river tubing around the Cheboygan area. Group of mid to late 20 year old guys so a cooler of alcohol will be involved. Willing to drive 45mins if necessary. I found Big Bear Adventures, Indian River, Michigan Canoeing but it doesn't seem too alcohol friendly, plus that river looks challenging which could be very dangerous.

Thanks
Hi, couple questions. Will you need to rent a canoe? are you looking for a river without much boat traffic? Sturgeon is one of the best bets...there is a motel not too far from Big Bear that rents out canoes as well. Spend some time with the fishweb website, they give info for fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and boating for all of michigan! Sturgeon River Cheboygan County Michigan- canoe - kayak - tube - rental - video - Michigan Interactive ™
the Upper Black river is nice and slow...good for canoeing Black River Canoe Outfitters - Onaway Boating - Pure Michigan Travel
the Pigeon River is BEAUTIFUL and in a very natural setting...empties into Mullett lake...although not sure of any outfitters close by...
Check out Wolverine for rentals too...

parts of the cheboygan river are popular for canoeing, but there is quite a bit of boat traffic...esp. in summer...

I hope that helps! If you plan on just doing some fun water stuff (with some partying) and chilling (guy trip??) then rent a pontoon boat and go to the mouth of the cheboygan river in Mullett lake on saturday or sunday afternoons to catch live music on the party barge with a large crowd playing volleyball in the water and just having a good time...

good luck! It's my favorite place to be in the summer! (heading there tomorrow!)

Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,319,818 times
canoeing and drinking...isnt that like drinking and driving?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,990,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
canoeing and drinking...isn't that like drinking and driving?
Yes it is, and it is treated the same. Except the legal limit is a bit higher for a boat than it is for a vehicle; 0.1 in a watercraft, 0.08 in a vehicle. It says that it is illegal to operate a vessel while under the influence. A vessel is any watercraft that is used for transportation (which would include a canoe or PWC.) Same punishment applies and it goes against your drivers license. I believe you can have an open container while at anchor, but not sure if you can while underway... which would make it hard to stay legal while in a canoe. I don't know if they would actually enforce it as much for a canoe float trip as they DO for a powered vessel, but the wording makes it so I would be careful. Especially if you get a CO, or local law enforcement that has a bug under their bonnet that day.

Having a couple of beers while on a float trip is one thing, getting drunk while in a canoe is stupid.

Last edited by Bydand; 06-22-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,246,468 times
Depending on where you are (I guess) the Sturgeon can be sort of twisty and somewhat fast. And its cold which probably feels good on a really hot day depending on how long your butt is in the water. I think its a steady 55 degrees. Not so great for a whole day of tubing.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM

13 posts, read 28,346 times
The Sturgeon might be a bit technical if you are taking a cooler full of beverages down with you. If you do go, start at N. White Rd and go out to Burt Lake. That is about 3 hours and is the easier stretch.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM

28 posts, read 59,386 times
I appreciate the advice, yes we are looking to rent a canoe. Yes we are bringing beer and no we are not going to get smashed. I have had alcohol with us on canoe trips in other parts of MI, with no issue. Just keep it clean, don't trash the river and don't get hammered and it never seems to be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>