U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

128 posts, read 227,829 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I was thinking about going to Ludington or Manistee for vacation in few weeks and just wanted to ask what would be a better place for me. I'm single, 25, no car. I live in New York City and wanted something that's a little less crowded though not too isolated and someone recommended Ministee to me. I would like spend a lot of time outdoors - in the park, on the lake or on the beach. Renting a boat or taking a cruise sounds really appealing too.

What would you guys recommend? If I was going to visit either of these what are some of the recommended places I could visit?

Thank you!

Last edited by loss4words; 06-22-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,620,124 times
You say no car so I'm assuming you have a way to get to one of the towns as a starter.

Both are very walk-able as far as the downtown being near the beach, just make sure you get a hotel near that area you want to spend your time.
Most would probably agree Manistee has a little bit nicer of a downtown area (by that I mean Manistee has a little more historic feel, and has two lane River Street as the main drag through the older part town, Ludington has a four lane plus a turn lane splitting it's downtown).
Both would have boats you could rent or charter.
Ludington would be the place for your 'cruise', check out the Lake Michigan Carferry Badger for that.

If you visit either one, check out the 'House of Flavors', they're an old ice cream and restaurant place that's been in the two cities for decades.

The salmon fishing this time of year is great, again, you should be able to get a charter at either location.

Between the two cities is the Nordhouse Dunes area / Ludington State Park, a neat spot where you can walk miles of pristine beaches with no development on them - getting there might be a little tricky without the vehicle however.

They're both very similar towns, you can't go wrong either way.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Hi FL2MT,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I think I will stay in Manistee but will travel to Ludington. I was hoping I would be able to catch a taxi or car service to get me to a hotel and around the city ?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 PM

629 posts, read 1,620,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi FL2MT,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I think I will stay in Manistee but will travel to Ludington. I was hoping I would be able to catch a taxi or car service to get me to a hotel and around the city ?
That might be a problem - make sure you check on it before you go, either call the town chamber of commerce or see if you can find something online. I grew up in the area, and at the time I think Ludington literally had one taxi, it was just a guy who ran the service on his own. I'm not sure if anyone offers that service anymore to be honest. I can't speak specifically for Manistee, but I never remember seeing a taxi up there either. Your nearest airports in Traverse City / Grand Rapids or Muskegon are all at least an hour away, so even if you can catch a cab in those places to get to Ludington or Manistee there's no guarantee they'll want to drive all the way back for a return trip.

It is definitely going to be a challenge to do the trip without having a vehicle readily available. Just one of the curses or benefits (depending on your perspective) of life in northern Michigan.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Oh, I see. I didn't realize that, thank you. I'll definitely check up on it.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,980,540 times
Manistee Blacker airport just started offering full time regular flights, but I don't know where from or what carrier. The airport in Ludington doesn't have commercial flights.

Ludington does have a taxi service, Manistee had a "Chippewa Taxi" but I'm not sure if they are still around or offering regular service. Both cities have a decent bus service that services their respective areas.

Both areas would put you into the outdoors within a VERY short distance. As was mentioned before, Ludington does have the USS Badger which runs between Ludington and Manitowoc, WI. It is the last passenger coal fired boat in the US, and they are looking to change over to another fuel this winter... last chance to get a ride on a coal fired boat (410' long boat at that). Both cities have good beaches; I prefer Ludington over Manistee's beaches, but that is personal preference. A short ride out to the Ludington State Park will net you MILES of sugar sand beaches and miles of hiking trails that are well marked and very nice. Dunes to explore, woods, rivers, lakes, etc... are all right in the Ludington State Park.

I like Ludington better than Manistee, but you really can't go wrong with either choice.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
YAZ

7,291 posts, read 13,076,781 times
I'm partial to that sweet golf course in Ludington.

The Hemlock?

I only played it once but it was absolutely stunning.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 35,280 times
Frontier Airlines is the (only) commercial airline that services Manistee-Blacker (MBL). 2 daily non-stops to their hub in Milwaukee, on 34-seat Embraer Regional Jets.

From experience, Frontier is a well-run, nice airline.

Among NYC area airports, Frontier only serves LaGuardia (they also serve Hartford and Philly). You can currently get a round-trip LGA-MBL, connecting through Milwaukee, for about $330 for many days in July.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM

298 posts, read 665,294 times
I think you will want to rent a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>