Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times

Advertisements

I'm going canoeing this weekend. Last year I wished I would have had my camera with us as the clouds opened up on us and soaked us as the lightning danced around the sky. So an idea was hatched to take my camera down the river this year and offer to take souvenir photographs of people. Nobody I know owns a waterproof camera to take and nobody I know would dare take their good camera down the river. So this leaves them with no photo memories of their trip.
So if you as a canoer was to come across a guy kayaking offering souvenir photos' is that something you would consider? Or at least let them take it and you can view it online before you buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No. I have a nice little waterproof camera with a floating strap. I have no problem bringing it canoeing. In fact that is what I bought it for.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 AM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
I have a waterproof housing for my camera, but if I didn't this would appeal to me. At the very least, I'd be curious enough to check the pics out online. If of good quality and priced fairly, I'd likely buy.

As for how to handle the "transaction", I would want a very unobtrusive approach to me and my group by the photographer. Maybe have laminated or otherwise waterproof business cards made up, then paddle up and hand the card with a quick "Hi! I captured a few shots of your group, and if you're interested in seeing and maybe buying a picture the website is listed on the card. Have a great day!".

That's my two cents!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
I take mine in a zip lock bag, but many people dont take a camera on a canoe...so it may be a good idea. Would I purchase some? Probably not...I hate my pic. being taken..lol Now the best place to try this would be Platte river, or up there near Glen Arbor where its packed with tourists on canoe trips. But seems like someone would have thought of it by now..who knows!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
You would have to have business cards or something sealed in waterproof pouches......

But I love to both kayak and canoe. I would love it if someone could get a good shot of me out on the water with one of my kids. I do not take my camera on the water. To many potential mishaps with kids involved.

Anyhow if someone was to snap some pictures ( I prefer "real" pictures, not set up and posed) and then paddle over and offer a business card with a web address to view and potentially buy them...... I would happily take it and check it out that evening

Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
I put my camera in a sealed bag tied to the kayak.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
There is a guy who does this at our local dog park. He just brings his dog, walks around taking pictures, and hands out cards. You can view thw pics on his website and buy any you want. In his case, he also offers sessions if you like, but that might not work as well for a canoe trip. He's fairly well known at the park, and seems well received. I have no idea if he is making any money.

I would at least check out your website if you approached me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan