Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM

161 posts, read 246,500 times

Advertisements

I'm a MSU alum and consider it to be a good - not great - school. Of course it depends on what you are planning on going into. Heck, MSU now has the best graduate program for nuclear physics in the country ahead of MIT...

I absolutely loved my time there...did two study abroads (biggest study abroad program in country for public schools), graduated with high honors, and graduated in 3.5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Michigan Tech blows MSU and U of M away in engineering.
UofM's engineering school, from electrical to nuclear to computer is generally ranked nationally from 5-15, some disciplines ranking higher. Michigan Tech, while good, is nowhere near this level.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I wouldn't say Alma, Albion are better than MSU. Kalamazoo, perhaps (but you're really comparing apples and oranges when you compare any small LAC to a large research, Carnegie I, AAU university... Also, I think it's kind of silly to say Michigan Tech is "better" than MSU. Michigan Tech is a very good engineering school, most particularly, mining engineering. Michigan State and Tech aren't that far apart, even in engineering. But MSU is considerably stronger in a much wider, more diverse array of, such as physics (esp nuclear physics), business, communications, music, many biological sciences, agriculture, James Madison College (pre-law, Int. relations, etc), Crim Justice, Hotel, poli. sci, etc, etc, etc... Again, it's a silly argument.

Some may not consider MSU as "elite", and certainly, the University doesn't carry itself that way or have U-M's nat'l prestige, but it is a very high profile school, and not just in Michigan... World rankings have considered it top-100, usually in the 60s to 80s, and there is a significant contingent of students from around the world (including many from outside of Michigan that are US citizens).
Oh right, I forgot Mr. Know-it-All Prof is still trolling around here. Thanks for the lesson in arrogance.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times
LSSU, NMU and MTU seem to be completely ignored when talking about the public universities; most people probably don't think that there are any universities in the upper peninsula. MTU's engineering programs are as good as U of M and are a lot less expensive -- it just doesn't have the same prestige as U of M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Michigan Tech blows MSU and U of M away in engineering.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
To be fair, all of the smaller Michigan public universities seem to drop off the radar, including Grand Valley State, Saginaw Valley State, Ferris, U of M Flint and U of M Dearborn.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
For comparison purposes, Room and Board for an academic year:

University of Michigan - $9,191 University room and board rates approved for 2010-11 | The University Record Online

Michigan State - $8,154 Some housing rates remain unchanged, others increase slightly | Board of Trustees | Michigan State University

Western Michigan - $8,095 http://www.wmich.edu/studentaffairs/advantage/RateSheet2010-11.pdf

Central Michigan - $8,092 Costs | Central Michigan University (http://www.cmich.edu/Admissions/Freshmen/Paying_for_Central/Costs.htm - broken link)

Oakland University - $7,968 Room & Board Rates - Housing & Dining - Oakland University

Eastern Michigan - $7,895 Eastern Michigan University: Press Release

Wayne State - $7,786 http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/2011/0...1_item%20v.pdf
why i never went to college.....

Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
OP --- the *best* suggestion to get the most of your money with your son ... have him take 2 years at a community college to get the core studies and undergrad coursework completed, then transfer to a bigger school to finish. This is usually not the most popular route, but will save a ton on tuition.

MSU's undergrad coursework is nothing to write home about. Many times the classes are huge and taught by grad students that are working under a professor. Many of these grad students do not speak English as their first language. Comparing MSU's undergrad program to a community college, a student will get a lot more for their money and do better with their education by taking the same course at a community college with a smaller class and true professor. The class will be easier to pass and there will be greater opportunity for one on one support from the professor.

As for MSU --- I grew up just down the road from MSU and all her glory, and my father, sister and brother are all alum. Many, MANY students live on campus for the required 2yrs as undergrads, then move out to private student housing to save on expenses. My father and brother were 4yr MSU students, my sister did 2yr comm college and 2yr MSU. All graduated with honors and have respectable careers. My sister was able to go abroad for a year while at MSU. The biggest difference ... my sister's student loan debt is a fraction of my brothers.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
I just graduated from Oakland University (has not been mentioned once in this thread?! Come on guys!) in 2009 with my BA. I was considering all of the state schools, as well as a few out of state private. When it comes down to it, all of the public in-state schools cost about the same.

With regards to Undergraduate programs...from the experience of myself and all of my high school/college friends who are now all hitting the workforce, it doesnt matter in the long run where you got your BA/BS from. A BA in International Relations is treated the same as a BA in International relations from U of M.

The one thing I can say is to look into career placement and co-op/internship programs as they relate to the undergraduate degree you're looking at. This will help with that first job out of school and basically your starting point. JMC at MSU is known for theirs for Poli Sci students for example...placing an insane percentage within the first 6 months of graduating. To me thats the biggest impact the undergraduate programs have and the biggest difference from school to school...

Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
Also - with regards to the room and board rates and U of M being $1,000 more than any other public school; I dont believe Undergrads are required to live on campus AT ALL at U of M...at least that wasnt the case 5 years ago?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
I agree with dtrtrggr13. The job placement/career services are the one thing that you should focus on when researching. I would argue it's not worth paying out of state tuition to attend MSU when you have great state schools in Texas. (U-T: Austin, Texas Tech etc). People from Michigan/Great Lakes will ascribe more value to a Michigan degree as people from Texas would for a Longhorn.

A couple points in keep in mind - many students switch majors in college - realizing what they thought they wanted to do - isn't exactly the degree they graduate with. If your son switches out of "packaging" - would it still be worth the cost to attend?

And aside from the "elite of the elite schools" most companies prefer to recruit in their backyard as the cost is much lower. Want to work in Texas post graduation - a Texas school is a better bet. Want to work in Detroit etc - go to school in Michigan. Of course you can transfer anywhere - but the opportunities for internships/career planning tend to be highest in the general proximity of whatever university you decide to attend.

Most colleges have a one year master's program in engineering. I would advise to get the undergrad in Texas in an engineering program - and then for the masters (there is no in/out state tuition) - so he can pick whatever one year program he wants. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan