Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
oh, really? so The Prof has "arrived" at a place you've never been. How nice. How smug. And how arogant.

You go right on kidding yourself, BigLake. And ignore reality. And the reality is:

it is all perception

that's right. yours, mine, TheProf's, USN&WR's. Everyone of us. Pure perception. None of us have "the answers." We take the data in and we do the best with it. But we are all taking in it with our own spin and we're all doing it with probably less than 99% of what we really need to know.

It's perception. It's subjective. And it's all we have. So we operate on it.

Thus you may go with "OK... I'm not stopping you. I am happy for you that seem to have arrived at a decision that you are comfortable with." but I choose to go with the far more humbling but much more gratifying and totally human...

IMHO
Why the need to post this? What's the purpose of this and what do you expect to accomplish?

If you look at the last few posts, it appeared the poster TheProf was thinking along the same lines, then in his next post said he didn't agree. He seemed to vacillate in his conclusions (comments about spporting Michigan, et al) and I responded that I thought we were actually thinking along the same lines. He then came back and said he then did not agree. It's not a big deal. I respectfully said so and actually kindly deferred.

Through this thread, I've offered my thoughts on the subject -- was very conscientious and respectful of others opinions. The only time I raised up was early on when I recieved an unsolicited comment of a "silly agrgument". I actually thanked others for their thoughts (I believe if I'm remembering correctly, I even thanked you for your thoughts and links about Public Ivies). Frankly, I was enjoying the banter.

What I don't get is why do you feel the need to engage me as you just did. Please don't engage me in this manner again.

Last edited by BigLake; 07-20-2011 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
What I don't get is why do you feel the need to engage me as you just did. Please don't engage me in this manner again.
yes, sir. any other instructions?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
U of M is a second choice for all the high level coasters who don't get their first Ivy type picks - that may make Michigan feel more elite than MSU IDK.
As we used to say, one of the alternate names for U of M was SUNY-Ann Arbor.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
yes, sir. any other instructions?
No, but thanks for acknowledging. It's a message board. The crap we're discussing isn't really that important. I was actually enjoying the banter previously. No need to muck up a good debate.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
For Bachelor degrees, your school doesn't mean much of anything after your first job -- nobody cares. It's all about your work experience and skill lists. For post graduate work, perhaps it means a lot more.

Best advice is to go whatever school you want and try to limit your college debt since it's one of the few debts that even bankruptcy can't get rid of. I don't envy new grads and their huge debt burdens. Most jobs require several years of related work experience and the unemployment rate is high enough that employers can find experienced workers rather than hire new grads.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,266 times
"No one in their right might would say that MSU is better than, or even comparable to UM overall "

This is just ignorant. MSU is absolutely comparable to UM overall. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see MSU grads and UM grads working side by side at every position

Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

514 posts, read 764,168 times
They are both good schools with a large amount of resources and well-respected faculty. That being said, I don't think either school offers an ideal undergraduate education. They both enroll way too many students. I spent a a semester at Ann Arbor and felt like a cog in a machine. Everything was systematic and impersonal, from advising to instruction to administrative services. In an ideal world, a student would attend a very good liberal arts school for undergrad, and then seek out the big research universities for graduate work.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times
Another old thread, but what the heck, people are looking and gathering information from it. So here I am to add my two cents.
Some people love large schools! I happened to be one of them. The many different people to interact with and tons of activities to choose from, can be delightfully stimulating! Heck, I even thoroughly enjoyed the "people-watching" when resting in the student union. It was such fun! Most find their own niche eventually.

Other people feel uncomfortable with the vastness of it all, and that's OK, too. It's just a matter of preference.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, I wasn't referring so much to their academic rating as their cost for housing. It seems extremely high to me, in comparision to other universities, guess it just floored me to see it cost so much. Is it really that great to pay so much to live there?
Michigan state universities are a rip off tuition wise. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is top notch and offers lower tuition rates.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,969,787 times
I know this is a really old thread, but back to the OP's question about room and board rates being high in Michigan compared to Texas: they really aren't. Room and Board at the U. of Texas for a dorm room ranges from $9000-$11,000/year. Room at Texas A&M and Texas Tech dorms are about $6000/year not including board (food), so the costs are pretty comparable. Now, living off campus in Lubbock or College Station is probably cheaper than East Lansing or Ann Arbor. Austin is more expensive near campus but has some worse neighborhoods further away that would be comparable to rents in Lansing or Ypsi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan