Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times

Advertisements

I found out today, that we will be visiting MI for our whole vaca instead of just a couple days.
Meeting our friends in another state has changed due to my friend having surgery the week of our vaca. Sending prayers her way...
So it looks like all the advice I have been given on finding rocks on the beaches we will be able to check out.

We are starting in South Haven first... from there we will be driving the 31 North all along the coast to hwy 22 to the mouth of Platte River to Empire then to Sleeping bear dunes National Lakeshore. Then to Lake Leelanau to Leland to the 201 to Northport Point. Then coming back the 22 to Traverse City to 37 to Old mission lighthouse..
Then back onto the 31 stopping at Torch lake. Then onto Petoskey.

Depending on our time... were going to try to go as far as Mackinac city & take the 23 down to Cheyboygan. From Cheyboygan I dop't know if there is anymore good rock beaches or not. We could always just drive the 23 down to Bay City and startzig zagging back thru Saginaw to Flint to Lansing and keep going South headed home.

Another option is we may hit the 75 South from Cheyboygan to start heading back home or we may back track the 31 & hit anything we missed or really enjoyed.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.
Just think "ROCKS" or "BEACH GLASS" or anthing in that catagory.

Also not knowing when or where we will be... I'm hoping the Hotel issue won't be a problem. If we can't find a nice Hotel on or near the beach I guess we'll have to go inland.

Thanks again for all your help.
Can't wait to see your Beautiful state. All I know is the pictures I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Go to the U.P and Lake Superior!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 PM

161 posts, read 246,500 times
Some people can provide better insight, but where you are going is beautiful. I absolutely love Petoskey.

I do highly recommend you checkout the UP, especially since you will have the time. Do your best to see Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Upper Tahquamenon Falls. Additionally, if you are going to go to Mackinac City - and have time - you really should do the day trip to Mackinaw Island.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
You'll find good stone picking all along the West Coast of Michigan.
When you get to Leland look north or south of Historic Fishtown for Petoskey stones and Leland Blue stones, remnants of an 1870s iron smelter that left glassy blue quartz washing up on Leland beaches.
Sharpen up your wine tasting palate also...many quality wineries in that area. Cherries should be in high season also. Enjoy

Fishtown

Petoskey stone

Leland Blue

Leland in the distance, lower left, just above Whaleback Point

Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
Are these beaches easily to get to ???
How far is the parking to Leland beach ?
Any certain beach names we need to know ???

I have a prosthetic leg & can't get it wet, it has a C-leg (no pun) LOL...
It has a computer in the knee.

My hubby can get in the water if need be, I just can't. Wish I could. I'm sure it will be hot.

We will have drinking H2o & juice with us if we have a good distance to walk, but if we do, then I won't be able to walk that much on the beach.

I'm just trying to figure out beach names, & where to find the best rocks & the shorter the distance to walk to the beach the better for me.

So since several of you said the mackinac bridge...how far is it going across, just curious ???

Where is Pictured Rocks national seashore ? Is it easy to get to ?
Sames goes for Upper Tahquamenon Falls...is it easy to get to ?
How far away are these 2 places ?

I've been told Lake Supieror is the place for nice rocks also. Once again, any good rock places that is easy to get to ?

Thanks guys your doing great.
I'm geting very excited. Our vaca is just 2 weeks away.................YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 PM

161 posts, read 246,500 times

Pictured Rocks starts just off the western part of this map in Munising and goes along H-58 to Grand Marais. They just finished paving this 60-70 miles last year and it is a phenominal drive. There are a lot of places to jump in and get a great view of the coast along Lake Superior. I'd recommend stopping at the visitor center in Munising as they provide good advice about specific places to see (was just up there camping in June).

Upper Tahquamenon is well worth the drive...although beware of mosquitoes!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 AM

358 posts, read 1,063,051 times
Superior has a lot more rocks than Lake Michigan. But be aware, it is a long drive through endless forests. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

358 posts, read 1,063,051 times
In South Haven, start at the South Beach and walk south. As you get closer to the houses, you will start to find a lot of rocks and sea glass. At one time there was a neighborhood that fell into the Lake, little by little. There are actually platted lots at the bottom of Lake Michigan. People also threw truckloads of rubble down the bluff to stop the Lake from eating away at their property, which only delayed things a bit. There are a lot of old bricks and occasional pieces of worn glass that you will find. The further south you go, the better your chances of finding stuff.

The difficulty you face is that because South Beach is so busy, it has already been picked over. To find stuff you need to go further than the average person, which might be difficult for you. You might want to stop at some of the less busy beaches in the area and see what is there. For example, Deerlick Creek
Van Buren State Park
Covert Twp Park
West Side County Park

There are also street end beach accesses on the north side of the river in South Haven, but I remember these as being almost completely sand beaches with no rocks. The clean sand is what draws people to South Haven, so while it makes for a beautiful beach, it is not the best for rock picking. I like walking the beach after fall and winter storms to see what the Lake has given up. My favorite things to collect are old fishing lures and odd shaped bits of driftwood, with the occasional oddly shaped and colored rock. Its a nice way to spend some time.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Almost anywhere you go on a Lake Superior beach is good rock pickin. Go north to Whitefish point. If you like pretty rocks....you'll be in heaven.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Are these beaches easily to get to ???
How far is the parking to Leland beach ?
Any certain beach names we need to know ???

I have a prosthetic leg & can't get it wet, it has a C-leg (no pun) LOL...
It has a computer in the knee.

My hubby can get in the water if need be, I just can't. Wish I could. I'm sure it will be hot.

We will have drinking H2o & juice with us if we have a good distance to walk, but if we do, then I won't be able to walk that much on the beach.

I'm just trying to figure out beach names, & where to find the best rocks & the shorter the distance to walk to the beach the better for me.

So since several of you said the mackinac bridge...how far is it going across, just curious ???

Where is Pictured Rocks national seashore ? Is it easy to get to ?
Sames goes for Upper Tahquamenon Falls...is it easy to get to ?
How far away are these 2 places ?

I've been told Lake Supieror is the place for nice rocks also. Once again, any good rock places that is easy to get to ?

Thanks guys your doing great.
I'm geting very excited. Our vaca is just 2 weeks away.................YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just outside of Charlevoix on US-31 North is a turnoff where the Lake Michigan shoreline (rocky) is right there! Seems like it's less than 100 yards from the highway. You'll be able to find some Petoskey stones and other cool stuff.

Also, the whole list of things you have seems like it'd take TWO weeks to see it all, without adding anything. I don't know how you'd be able to cram anything else in and really enjoy it all.

I know the Torch Lake area pretty well. Be sure to check out the East Side of the lake, which has a better drive along it. From Elk Rapids > Kewadin > Torch River > Crystal Beach Rd > South East Torch Lake Rd. Stop at Alden for lunch on the misty deck at Afterloon Delights, walk down to the marina to view the lake, Higgins for ice cream, the Alden Spice Shop, Dockside (bar and grill) at the mouth of the Clam River where it meets Torch Lake. Several places to stay like Sunset Shores, Torch Lake Bed & Breakfast, Stone Waters Inn (a few miles East in Bellaire) or Shanty Creek/Shuss Mountain. Then on to Charlevoix, which is always a treat. Be sure to check out the interesting architecture of the homes, especially the roofs, around Round Lake (can be seen from downtown Charlevoix).

Although like others have suggested, one day set aside for Mackinaw Island is worth it. Go over late in the day and stay the night.

Have fuunnnnn!!! Let me know if you need any more specific info on those areas.

Last edited by magellan; 07-15-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan