Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be taking a trip to Traverse City in the first of August. Can anyone from the area tell me the "must-dos" or "must-sees" when we visit! I've heard of a bunch of great things to do in the city, but want the opinion from the local folk or people who have frequented there much. Also, can anyone tell me about Pine River Paddelsports, prefering about kayaking. WE want a challenge, but also don't want to drown because of how dangerous it is. Also, any recommendations for food or specialty dessert shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
You should explore the downtown area and try some of the goodies at Kilwin's candy shop. I don't live in Traverse but have gone there often. If you walk all along the downtown area you'll find many great shops whether it's for food, clothing, books or anything else. Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM

391 posts, read 906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Hi,

We will be taking a trip to Traverse City in the first of August. Can anyone from the area tell me the "must-dos" or "must-sees" when we visit! I've heard of a bunch of great things to do in the city, but want the opinion from the local folk or people who have frequented there much. Also, can anyone tell me about Pine River Paddelsports, prefering about kayaking. WE want a challenge, but also don't want to drown because of how dangerous it is. Also, any recommendations for food or specialty dessert shops?
Have your fun in and around Traverse...it's a great town...then head out Northwest of town to the Leelanau Peninsula and do the round the horn tour on M-22. Stop at wineries, do a detour at Northport to the Grand Traverse lighthouse, visit the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, visit real, and very cool, towns like Empire, Leland, Northport and Suttons Bay. Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Agree with the M22 trip. Just drive and you will find all sorts of great things to see and do. Be prepared to fall in love with the whole area and feel the need to return as quickly as possible. Traverse City is awesome! Just drive and walk the area, and you will have a great time. I highly recommend the old Traverse City State Hospital. Its awesome to walk through it to see and read the history. There are also some very cool little shops in there. Take a drive around Torch Lake...just too much cool stuff to mention in the TC area.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Hmmmm... The M-22 trip seems fun and interesting. Will definitely check out the downtown area, as I have heard that it is really nice. What does anybody know about the Pirate's Cove mini-golf? Is it worth the price?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:49 PM

211 posts, read 587,742 times
It's a mini-golf course, better then some but you can play mini-golf anywhere, with all of the other things to do in Traverse City, it would be pretty low on my list of attractions.

I'd agree with the M22 tour, kids will love the sand dunes and then take them for a swim in Lake Michigan just up the road at Glen Haven. Also, take the Pierce Stocking scenic drive at the dunes, there are some fantastic views over Lake Michigan at the overlooks.

Depending on the weather and how old your kids are, an afternoon or evening sail on the tall ship Manitou is always a good time, it leaves from Greilickville, just north of TC on M-22.

If the weather cools off, you can go horseback riding at Ranch Rudolph, located on the Boardman river South of TC. They do guided trail rides.

If you give us a better idea of whether or not you have kids and how old they are you might get some more specific recommendations.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM

No kids. Just a couple of friends and we're all in college. Anybody hear of Pine River Paddlesports? Kayaking?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 PM

211 posts, read 587,742 times
Pine River paddle sports is located about 50 minutes South of Traverse City, not particularly convenient. They rent canoes and kayaks for floating the Pine and Manistee rivers. I have not used them (driven by the place a bunch of times) so I can't comment on their operation. We do have a cabin on the Pine and if you canoe or kayak it, be prepared to be wet. There are a lot of downed trees and it has a pretty swift current in some places. You might want to find some place closer to Traverse if that is where you are staying and go on the Boardman or the Platte rivers, they are a little more placid. Given the heat, find a place to rent some inner tubes and go tubing on one of those rivers instead.

Couple of other things you might want to consider, a cruise on the Nauti-cat, it's a giant catamaran with a bar on it that cruises on Grand Traverse bay, leaves from the Holiday Inn downtown. There is also para-sailing available on East Bay and if you have the money, a hot air balloon ride is fantastic. There are also Jet ski rentals at a couple of places on west Grand Traverse bay, another fun time on the water.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM

25 posts, read 62,739 times
We visit T.C. every year! Love it there! So peaceful and idyllic. You could also consider a cruise on the Tall ship Manitou. We've haven't done it yet, but always see it out sailing in the Bay and dream of doing it one day. You must do some wine tasting up the Leelenau Pennisula (visit Fishtown!), walk around downtown, sit on the beach. The weather is always phenomenal there! We usually eat at the Red Mesa Mexican Restaurant at least once, but it's a large, busy place on the outskirts of town. If you want quaint, stick with downtown. Also be sure to visit the Farmer's market if your there on a Saturday morning!!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 AM

51 posts, read 87,086 times
Wine tour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan