Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM

33 posts, read 51,880 times

Advertisements

Its been a while. Sorry i haven't replayed in months. Life is crazy right now. We wanted to move up there this year, but we had too many expenses. Hopefully next year, everything will line up. Today it was 100F+. So damn hot. My wifes parents actually moved to Tn recently. They seem to be liking it, but we DO NOT want to move close to them. Mi is still on my to-do list. Anything interesting happen in the last couple months or so "up-there"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRACK View Post
Its been a while. Sorry i haven't replayed in months. Life is crazy right now. We wanted to move up there this year, but we had too many expenses. Hopefully next year, everything will line up. Today it was 100F+. So damn hot. My wifes parents actually moved to Tn recently. They seem to be liking it, but we DO NOT want to move close to them. Mi is still on my to-do list. Anything interesting happen in the last couple months or so "up-there"?
I thought you had already made it up here, with a job lined up.
We had an exceptionally mild winter, 70 degrees in March, then back down - fluctuating temps.
San Angelo - I was there with the US Air Force school, probably not still there eh.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 AM

You have no idea how much we wish we could have. which part of mi gets the most snow

Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
You have no idea how much we wish we could have. which part of mi gets the most snow
Closer to Lake Michigan gets lake-effect snow - a nuisance at times, but the tradeoff is warmer temps by a few degrees - sometimes significant.
Lake Effect Snow
HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Annual Snowfall"

Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Just found another map for overall averages.
http://www.weathermichigan.com/images/miavgsnowfall.jpg

Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Just found another map for overall averages.
http://www.weathermichigan.com/images/miavgsnowfall.jpg
so basically, the closer the the lakes the more snow Thank you for that tidbit of information. Me and my family spent about 1.5 hrs looking at the pics on the forums. So nice....im so jealous right now!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Just catching up on this thread. If you like to hunt and fish and love the snow, you should consider the Upper Peninsula. Downside is it's pretty isolated, and the winters are REALLY cold and snowy -- as you see on that snow map, the very upper part (the Keweenaw Peninsula) can get 200 inches a year. But it is beautiful and rugged up there, and you can take your pick of wilderness areas to go hunting and fishing. Towns might be a little on the small side for your given range -- Marquette is the biggest at about 20,000. But definitely something else to consider. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Just catching up on this thread. If you like to hunt and fish and love the snow, you should consider the Upper Peninsula. Downside is it's pretty isolated, and the winters are REALLY cold and snowy -- as you see on that snow map, the very upper part (the Keweenaw Peninsula) can get 200 inches a year. But it is beautiful and rugged up there, and you can take your pick of wilderness areas to go hunting and fishing. Towns might be a little on the small side for your given range -- Marquette is the biggest at about 20,000. But definitely something else to consider. Good luck.
Is there decent jobs there? And how about internet and cable and such.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Is there decent jobs there? And how about internet and cable and such.
I've never lived up that way (but vacationed there a lot), so I'm not the best person to ask. I know we have some Yoopers here who can hopefully chime in. As for cable/Internet, I imagine satellite is an option pretty much anywhere these days (yes, you can get satellite Internet!), though I imagine most places up that way are wired -- unless you're building a cabin from scratch in the middle of the woods.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Here you go, for starters. I remembered seeing this series about the U.P. economy:

Economic diversity, technology help insulate the Upper Peninsula from rest of Michigan's woes | MLive.com

The takeaway is that the U.P. hasn't been hit as hard as the rest of the state. Not that things are great there economically, but maybe at least less bad.

One segment focuses on Marquette:

In Contrast, This U.P. Town Is Thriving : NPR

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan