Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Just thought I would share a picture of some things I've been working on. These are picture frames I made from a barn built in the 1890's
I am making them for a lady who owns a business in Owosso. She will then add mirrors, and colored glass combined with my metal art. She showed me one that was a big metal oak tree, with orange glass behind it, and it was awesome! Thats why I told her I would love to get into making them with her. I was collecting wood from her collapsed barn in the 95 degree heat, but man...was it cool! You can just feel the history and energy when your holding the wood, and now the frames bring it inside. I will be working on these for her to do her thing, but also making just frames for pictures, and some other items I will have on my website in the near future.
Hey, where are pictures of the metal and glass and wood frame things???? Me likey, me want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Hey, where are pictures of the metal and glass and wood frame things???? Me likey, me want!
I have one made right now, but not sure what color glass to use in it. I have a frame with a copper patina/rustic metal oak tree. Its very cool! I want to use orange glass, but the orange is very expensive, like $16 a square foot, so I'm thinking blue or black. I will also be doing mirrors in them with the metal. I want to do horses, moose, deer, fishing, barn scenes, tractors...anything that kinda fits in the whole barnwood theme. I went back out to the fallen barn last night and got another pick-up truck full. I am growing very attached to these old barns...so cool! I even found the piece of wood with the name of the original owner and the date of the barn....1890

Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I have one made right now, but not sure what color glass to use in it. I have a frame with a copper patina/rustic metal oak tree. Its very cool! I want to use orange glass, but the orange is very expensive, like $16 a square foot, so I'm thinking blue or black. I will also be doing mirrors in them with the metal. I want to do horses, moose, deer, fishing, barn scenes, tractors...anything that kinda fits in the whole barnwood theme. I went back out to the fallen barn last night and got another pick-up truck full. I am growing very attached to these old barns...so cool! I even found the piece of wood with the name of the original owner and the date of the barn....1890
Wow, that's awesome....

$16/sq ft? Ouch!

Hey, do you ever do big things? I want something to go over our gate when we get one up in at the entrance, I want to get a picture of our herd running and have that as a banner kind of thing over the gate.

It's going to be at least 3 years, but I really like your work!

I love old Americana type stuff, When we build the new house, I'll start looking for some of that stuff, I think these barnwood/glass/metal things would fit in so nicely.

Do you have a website for your work? If not, you should. If so, PM me please!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM

My newest item is this Michigan themed barn wood picture frame. I started with wood from a barn built in 1898... which has recently fallen...made the 2" wide frame and attached it to a 13x5 base, also made from old barn wood. I then welded a miniature Michigan to a base, painted it metallic blue, and screwed it to the base.

Last edited by michmoldman; 07-25-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
Wow, that's awesome....

$16/sq ft? Ouch!

Hey, do you ever do big things? I want something to go over our gate when we get one up in at the entrance, I want to get a picture of our herd running and have that as a banner kind of thing over the gate.

It's going to be at least 3 years, but I really like your work!

I love old Americana type stuff, When we build the new house, I'll start looking for some of that stuff, I think these barnwood/glass/metal things would fit in so nicely.

Do you have a website for your work? If not, you should. If so, PM me please!
Right now I cant make very big stuff...22x22 is the biggest. Maybe in a few years Ill have a bigger table. The wood, metal and glass is sooo cool! Ill post a picture when I get one done. I need to find some cheaper orange glass because it looks real nice behind the copper/rust metal pieces...looks like a sunset and is lighting it up. Ill pm you the website in a few.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
My newest item is this Michigan themed barn wood picture frame. I started with wood from a barn built in 1898... which has recently fallen...made the 2" wide frame and attached it to a 13x5 base, also made from old barn wood. I then welded a miniature Michigan to a base, painted it metallic blue, and screwed it to the base.

Wow. Gorgeous work!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM

raised metal frame. I have the "Michigan" emblem raised about 1/2" off the frame.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
I have an old barn to sell for recycling. If interested please contact Polly Gray 423-623-6970.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
awesome stuff there michmoldman! i am also a lover of barn wood....in fact that is the name i use on my etsy account! i'm always on the hunt for old barn windows to make things out of. i feel the same about when you're touching it or near an old barn....you can smell/feel the history. old stuff seems very popular right now.... the fact that you have a whole barn to do things with is awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: