U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,462,586 times

Advertisements

Looking to hear from those who have actually lived in the districts, attended or had children attend the Okemos, East Lansing, Haslett schools. We are contemplating retirement in this area and wanted to be sure we'd be in decent district for resale.

It's my understanding that Okemos and East Lansing are back/forth as to the "better" of the two, depending on what your specifications are (academics, small class size, athletics, AP/IB classes), but wondering how Haslett fits into the mix as well.

The amenities in the area are attractive; festivals, MSU Athletics, Wharton Theatre, the IMAX theatre, Zoo, museums, gardens, restaurnts, shopping, medical care etc. Lots of houses for sale and at super bargains.

We saw many homes in Holt School district that we liked, but that's so far away from where we thought we wanted to be located (northeast quadrant of 127/96 intersect area).

Opinions gladly accepted! Thanks~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:57 PM

33 posts, read 75,191 times
Here is the good thing about Michigan: SCHOOL OF CHOICE. We live on the north side of Lansing (in the city limits) and I REFUSED to send my kids to ANY inner-city Lansing school. Luckily, after 5 years of having NO openings, DeWitt had openings! I jumped on that SO quickly.

LOVE DeWitt. LOVE IT. It's smaller than Okemos and East Lansing, yet has a "higher class" of people as does Okemos and East Lansing. I went to Williamston (class of 90) and that is another good district.

The only thing that has concerned me about Okemos is the "Keeping up with the Jones'" factor. There is money in that area and (doctors, lawyers, MSU professors, etc) many of those kids drive better vehicles than *I* do. I would keep that in mind.....at the same time, I think there may be more educational opportunities in the school district because of it (symphony orchestra versus maybe just a band in another district).

Have heard decent things about East Lansing, as well. Probably not as "uppity" as Okemos.

DeWitt has money, as well, but I NEVER feel that "snobby" attitude there nor do I feel like I am not "keeping up" with them.

Holt...I wouldn't do. I just wouldn't do it. Honestly, I think Holt and Lansing are separated simply by a city limits sign.....Not to say that maybe at an elementary level you would have issues, but I don't know if I would do high school there (nice school itself....not so sure about those that attend it..,but maybe I am just fussy).

Magnet schools in Lansing are WAY overrated and are still inner-city schools as are the charter schools. Run away from those....despite what reviews you may read. HORRIBLE experiences at a charter school here.

Okemos, Williamston, Haslett, East Lansing, DeWitt, Grand Ledge are completely schools I would send my kids to.

Hope to help!

Carrie

Old 07-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Thank you Carrie, you speak from experience and provide just the answers I am seeking. Hopefully there are others who will speak as thoroughly as you...

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM

33 posts, read 75,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Thank you Carrie, you speak from experience and provide just the answers I am seeking. Hopefully there are others who will speak as thoroughly as you...

You are very welcome! I will tell you that an AWESOME part of town (Lansing) is the Groesbeck neighborhood. That runs just north of 127....east of Wood Street...south of Lake Lansing Road. It's the one part of Lansing I would never hesitate to live in and there is a magnet school (Lansing) in the middle of the neighborhood. Not sure how great that school is, however, but the neighborhood is HIGHLY desirable (I can't afford to live back there, if that tells you anything). We live near Gier Park and it's not exactly "ghetto", but it's not at all Okemos or DeWitt (or Groesbeck, for that matter)...yet, we've been there almost 10 years and have never had a problem with anything being stolen, broken into, etc. Knock on wood! haha

Dimondale is a cute town (Holt schools, though) and one I would love to live in, too.

If you need anything else, let me know. I don't hold back when it comes to opinions on Lansing!! hahahaha

Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM

26 posts, read 59,874 times
I would like to know how everything went for you.
I have to look for 2 schools for my kids aswell and buy a house for the first time!!!
Any help of good kids and nice schools on Holton (where we saw some nice houses), middle school? how bad is the reputation about bullying? so many questions!!! please I need help and some pace of mind!!!
Thanks

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

We bought a home in East Lansing~Haslett schools. Plan to move in the spring. We didn't look in DeWitt, but I had the opportunity to run out there for something else and was very impressed with the new developments that I saw. Lovely homes and not nearly as congested as parts of East Lansing and Okemos can be. I'm used to traffic, having lived/worked in central New Jersey for most of my life~so what Lansing considers to be traffic is mild to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan