Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,223 times

Advertisements

I have a serious issue and need some input. I have listed my house on a family compound in feb of this year, little did i know it had property line issues, and i was asked to remove the listing until the lines were re-established, so i did. I ended up giving away, thats right giving away 5.6 acres to my immediate family to resolve any issues with shared drive way and property . I was able to relist with the same realitor and all hell broke loose. My mext door neighbor ie.. sister-in-law did everything in her power to delay the process including removing the realitor signs and approaching potential buyers along with realitor agents in a very rude manner . She also was trespassing and making vulgal gestures and comments towards me and any body that was shown the house. I spoke to her and my brother with NO results. I contacted and attorney and a nasty letter was sent out telling her to refrain and comply with the sale. I was also forced to call local police and made a report, he visited them and made them aware of the wrong doings, with the threat of a restraining order next. Since then she has been so bold as to bardge into my house during a showing with potential buyers present with a realitior and state, and i quote " we dont want your kind here living on this family land, please get the f&^* off the property" The realitor was so upset he e-mailed me this and will testify to the situation. I am filing for a restraining order and also filing a law suit toward them in the full selling amount of the house. I am more than mad about this and cannot have someone chase away a potenial buyer. I have been more that reasionable on this matter and i am at my witts end. I cannot afford the house and all related costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
With family like that, who needs enemies?

Sorry to say, but it sounds to me like the problem begins with this concept of a "family compound." Was there any sort of legal set-up or agreement when it began? If not, you're finding out now why there should have been. Much like any homeowners' association, everyone involved would have agreed to some ground rules – legally.

It would seem to me that the whole purpose of a "family compound" is just that – it's family. I can certainly understand why you would feel the financial need to sell and get out, but I can also see how your sister-in-law, nasty though she may be, might have objections to "just anyone" moving in next door – operating under the premise that it's "family land" and a "family compound."

I think you're going to need a good lawyer for more than a letter and that's not going to be cheap either. No matter what, it looks like you've got a war.

Can you get someone in the family to buy you out?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Tell that woman to either buy you out or shut her pie hole. I'd also buy a shotgun and make it very visible to her.

Seriously, if you talked with an attorney and the police, all you can do is keep reporting her to the police.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,223 times
there was leagal shared driveway and boundaries drawn up, i am persueing a lawsuit and i am expecting a war. My att has filed for a restraining order and i will use it when needed. Hopefully he is as good as he was reffered to me to handle this and he is aggressive. This last stunt may have cost me a sale of the house. He is also filing the court order for the suit. No shotgun needed, i will not use violence, not necessary. I will hit her in the pocket.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Well a family compound breaking up is something to mourn and be upset about. However life is change and unfortunately nothing lasts forever. They are going to have to get used to the idea that the family compound is over unless they can afford to buy you out.
Good luck with your lawsuit. I do wonder if your going to end up spending more on lawyers than the 5 acres and sale of the house would have been.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM

105 posts, read 148,004 times
"also filing a law suit toward them in the full selling amount of the house."

Forget the full selling cost of the house go for a whole bunch more and then maybe settle in the end for the selling amount. Me I would try to bleed every last dollar from them, and they call them selves family.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
And to think your parents probably thought it was such a great idea to buy a big piece of property in which their offspring could live together happily ever after.

Have you ever sat down with the other family members and discussed with them what their concerns are and how they could be mitigated (maybe another driveway, fencing between properties, letting them have a say in who buys the house, sharing the revenue from the sale (you've already given them 5.6 acres!...)). Surely they don't think you should continue owning a house that you no longer live in. And do they really want you to continue living there now that you have violated the sacred family bonds (in their opinion).

Try to put yourself in their shoes and in the shoes of your parents (or whoever initially bought this property). Family should come first, and if you all sit down and discuss your desires as a family, the solutions will come much easier than with lawsuits.

Another off-the-wall idea: Have you considered renting out the property (and possibly letting the family neighbors be "property managers" and recipients of some financial benefits)? This would give them some control over who lives there (i.e. they/you could not renew the lease if the tenants are undesirable). If your family comes to like the new tenants, maybe they wouldn't mind those tenants buying the house. Or at least your family will see that having non-family living there is not the worst thing in the world. Try to think outside the box, with input from your family neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan