Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 PM

391 posts, read 906,320 times

Advertisements

Was in TC yesterday..and WOW, was downtown buzzing with activity and excitement. Thousands of film goers, dozens of films being shown at venues all over town. Last year there were 120 films and shorts, and 106,000 (!) admissions to films over 6 days, and by the looks of things this year will exceed that.
What an amazing thing in a small city like Traverse. The hotels are full, restaurants buzzing, sidewalks filled with all kinds of people and all seem very happy to be there. Like the fun and energy of an urban event in a small town on the lake. This thing has come a long way in the past 7 years, when volunteers rebuilt the interior of the State Theater to start the thing off.
For all the carping about Michael Moore's involvement, the guy has produced a wonderful week in Northern Michigan and has kept his own politics pretty much out of it. The early naysayers have proved to be bitter angry whiners.
Crowbar hats off to all the folks working to put the festival on. A lot more appealing to me than the Cherry festival, and friends who have businesses on Front St. tell me they do far more business during film fest than the Cherry circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 PM

left this out..
Traverse City Film Festival | July 26 - 31, 2011

Old 07-30-2011, 02:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
As much as I disagree on Michael Moore's stand on most everything, there is no denying the fact he generously gives of his time and resources to the entire NW side of Michigan. He is involved with the new effort to revitalize the Vogue Theater in downtown Manistee now as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
As much as I disagree on Michael Moore's stand on most everything, there is no denying the fact he generously gives of his time and resources to the entire NW side of Michigan. He is involved with the new effort to revitalize the Vogue Theater in downtown Manistee now as well.
Regardless of what disagreements I might have with Mr. Moore, I'll always respect a guy who works to improve a community and...most importantly...puts his considerable money where his mouth is to help it get done.
I think the Vogue project will be more modest than the State, but I know that friends in Manistee are very excited to see something promising happen with that great old building. A lot will depend on how much the people of Manistee get behind it, which is how it should be. I've heard second hand that there are some outspoken critics of it, which is a shame but not surpising.
Anyone who snubs the efforts there because of political differences is likely suffering from extreme tea intoxication and thus should be judged on that basis. There's that "biting the hand" or "looking the gift horse in the mouth" thing.
The same was true, to some degree, in TC, with people getting on the local AM radio talk station and accusing Moore of doing the festival to, somehow, line his own pockets and then vanish, or that he was building a platform to propagandize.
All those foolish predictions have proven false and...foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan