Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some insight into the area as far as: Schools (will have a 4th grader, 6th grader and 8th grader)? Quality of life? Taxes? Housing? Active youth groups/churches? Young Families in the area? Climate? How bad is winter? Any other information would be great!

My husband is being transferred there in the next month or so. We are originally from lower Michigan area but have been living in the Northern VA area for the past 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:53 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Everything is better in Traverse City compared to lower Michigan.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Traverse City is awesome! we also want to move there. I must say congrats, and I am very jealous.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Congrats on making it back home to Michigan!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 AM

172 posts, read 471,504 times
I too would love to live there as it is a great place to raise a family. I have not figured out how to make a living up north but that is a different matter entirely. I have only been a yearly visitor to the TC area but I can tell you this: schools are great, taxes are high and the quality of living is excellent. There is a great downtown, great beaches, regular festivals and events nearly every weekend, plenty of restaurants to chose from and a nice children's museum. The community college also offers frequent theater and art shows. Interlochen is near by and they have great music/art programs for children and adults all year long. I would recommend you Google Traverse City visitors guide and you they will send you a great book filled with all you need to know about the area. Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
I'm jealous. That is all.
Congrats on moving back, and to such a gorgeous area!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
So, so jealous. The Traverse City/Leelanau area is probably my favorite part of the state. Welcome back!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 39,874 times
I can say my family and I will be on our way to Traverse City around June next year! My wife graduates in January and once my daughter gets out of school for the summer, it's relocation time!
With my wife and I being in the medical field I think employment will be easy to find. Our daughter will be going to Northwestern Michigan...does anyone have any thoughts on this college? From what I have read it sounds like they have a good offering of courses and programs.
I have been reading this forum for quite sometime and I'm pretty sure Michmoldman is going to find this thread since he has sights set on TC as well. When you do Mich, we'll have to keep in touch, I've learned quite a bit from reading your responses. So when you do get to TC, I'll have a cold beverage of your choice waiting!

Coder

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
Everything is better in Traverse City compared to lower Michigan.
I love Traverse City, don't get me wrong. But I don't think everything is better up there.

For example, the grass is literally greener down here in lower Michigan. Maybe it's due to the sandy soil up there in northern MI, but when left alone, people's yards generally look brown, dead, and terrible. Down here, lawns can stay nice and green for most of the summer without watering them at all. Heck, you can have a green lawn without even planting grass. Just start mowing the crab grass. It doesn't work that way up north.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med.Coder View Post
I can say my family and I will be on our way to Traverse City around June next year! My wife graduates in January and once my daughter gets out of school for the summer, it's relocation time!
With my wife and I being in the medical field I think employment will be easy to find. Our daughter will be going to Northwestern Michigan...does anyone have any thoughts on this college? From what I have read it sounds like they have a good offering of courses and programs.
I have been reading this forum for quite sometime and I'm pretty sure Michmoldman is going to find this thread since he has sights set on TC as well. When you do Mich, we'll have to keep in touch, I've learned quite a bit from reading your responses. So when you do get to TC, I'll have a cold beverage of your choice waiting!

Coder
Lol...yes I did see this and I am very jealous! I keep up on TC so often, I almost feel like I live there already! I think with my business doing so well, we wont be far behind you. I have a few friends who own businesses up there, and they are doing so well they are expanding, and it keeps me very motivated! Not saying mine will do as well...but I'm very confident it will. Michigan83 is right though...the grass is a bit sandy and brown up there, but thats ok with me because I hate mud! (like my yard!)
Hey...we will definitely get together and have one of those awesome Michigan brews some day! Congrats!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan