Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM

189 posts, read 508,611 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I will probably have to move from Fort Wayne to Troy due to changing jobs.

How different is the cost of living in Michigan compared to Indiana?

I'm concerned as I think I went too low when I was asked for my desired salary on the job application form.

I was told that if I pay $560 for a 2 bedroom apartment here in Indiana I should expect to pay at least $900 for a decent one in Troy.

Also seems like my insurance policy would almost triple !!

I currently pay $100 per month.

Gas, water and electriticy seem to be more expensive in Michigan as well.

I currently pay $35 for electricity and $25 for gas. Water is included in the rent.

That would mean that would have to ask for a lot of money to be able to live decently.

Can anyone shed some light? Am I exaggeratingor or am I being realistic?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,762,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
Hello:

I will probably have to move from Fort Wayne to Troy due to changing jobs.

How different is the cost of living in Michigan compared to Indiana?

I'm concerned as I think I went too low when I was asked for my desired salary on the job application form.

I was told that if I pay $560 for a 2 bedroom apartment here in Indiana I should expect to pay at least $900 for a decent one in Troy.

Also seems like my insurance policy would almost triple !!

I currently pay $100 per month.

Gas, water and electriticy seem to be more expensive in Michigan as well.

I currently pay $35 for electricity and $25 for gas. Water is included in the rent.

That would mean that would have to ask for a lot of money to be able to live decently.

Can anyone shed some light? Am I exaggeratingor or am I being realistic?

Thanks
Troy is on the other side of the State. I'll move this to the general Michigan section for you.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,252,346 times
I think you're exaggerating. Troy is one of the nicer suburbs of Detroit - it has Somerset mall which is the most upscale mall in the entire state of Michigan. There are definitely luxury apartments in Troy that run upwards of $1,000 a month. However, Troy is surrounded by cities that have very moderate costs of living (e.g. Sterling Heights, Madison Heights) and that you could easily afford an apartment based on your current rent. For example - you can get a two bedroom at Eagles Landing in Troy for $700 Eagles Landing of Troy | Eagles Landing and that's one of the nicer complexes. If you don't want the amenities - you can get a two bedroom in a regular no frills apartment complex for $600. Search www.hotpads.com for Troy, MI (then Madison Heights, Sterling Heights) and you should be set.

I'm not sure what you drive, or your record - but my insurance is only about $600 for six months too (and I drive a GMC Envoy) and that includes full coverage - Progressive - so I wouldn't think insurance would be a difference. If you live in Detroit, proper, that number would triple - but that's not your case. Gas/water/electricity are all based on consumption - but nothing to sweat. Troy is definitely a nicer city that Ft. Wayne - but all the same stores are around (e.g. Meijer, Walmart) so you can really live as cheaply or lavishly as you want.

Detroit is a world class city - four professional sport teams (Tigers, Pistons, Lions, Red Wings)- driving distance to Michigan or Michigan State football games, malls, museums - and if you get all of that for the same price (or comparable) to Fort Wayne - I'd definitely take the jump!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM

222 posts, read 807,673 times
I grew up in Fort Wayne and moved to Michigan about 20 years ago.

Yes, it will be more expensive to live in Troy. Ft. Wayne has a fairly low cost of live due to inexpensive housing and low property taxes. How much more expensive will depend a little on your lifestyle.

There are any number of online Cost of Living comparison websites that you can plug in Ft. Wayne and Detroit and get a pretty good estimate on how much more you will need. Bottom line: if you are getting paid the same in Troy as in FW, you will have less money left at the end of the month. That still may make it worth it to you if you love the new job, but there is no way it will cost you less to leave in Troy.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,439 times
Default Hi need advice

Hi all,

Hope you guys can help me clarify my confusion. If I move to Troy, Michigan, what would be the likely monthly expenditure that I need to pay. I am not talking about posh areas and expensive retreat. Practical expenditure for a month may include rent, food, utility and occasional going out. Please feel free to add something which I may have missed out.

Just decent accommodation for self and wife along with lets say taking bus to my job location in troy itself. If I wish to drive a car how much more i need to dish out !!

I would be really thankful to you all, if you could help out !!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM

198 posts, read 442,494 times
Troy is slightly expensive by Detroit standards, but still a cheap place to live compared to NY or San Francisco. I would imagine the apartments in Troy are comparable in price to the upscale ones in Ft. Wayne. Sterling Heights is next to Troy and probably has cheaper apartment complexes. I would estimate electricity cost at $100 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,439 times
Thumbs up Thanks !!

Hi there Locutus !!

Thanks a lot for your inputs i get you point in fact it helps me a lot but I also want to know that if electricity bill would cost me $100 for a month so including everything else how much it would be !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan