Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 61,638 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, my family and i were considering moving to the US for a new start in life, and were considering moving to deroit because we have family living here, but ave not completely made up our mind about where we want to go. we need help in trying to decide where we should move (which state in america). but the big problem is that we dont know how we would get a permanent residency visa to move to the US? so if i could get some help as to how i would get a permanent residency visa for my family and myself that would be great. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Unless you have the sponsorship of a US employer or are married to a US citizen, odds are really bad you will get permanent residency in the US. Your best bet may be to enter yourself in the diversity lottery if Australia is an eligible country. The entry period for the next drawing should start in October. The entry is free and do not believe any sites that say otherwise.

Otherwise, it is somewhat easier to go to Canada. Canada from a government perspective probably wouldn't be such a shock for you. Plus, you can always drive down and visit the States whenever, particularly if you live in a border town or city. There is also the UK, South Africa, etc, to consider.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 61,638 times
thank you very much for your help, but i was just wondering if i had a family member in USA couldnt they help me with the application process.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
What type of scenery do you like? Mountains, desert, high desert, 4 seasons, 2 seasons (ha) oceans, summer temps that are 100+ or more mild temps for the summer. The USA has it all so first start with that and then narrow it even further. Humidity is a big factor for most people too. Southern states have their fair share of that. Hope that this helps.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpg111 View Post
thank you very much for your help, but i was just wondering if i had a family member in USA couldnt they help me with the application process.
Only an immediate relative: Mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, or spouse.

For brother/sister visas, it can take many, many years. VisaJourney.com : Marriage and Family Immigration to the USA (K Visa) would have more and better information.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Call or go to the closest US embassy or consulate and ask them what you will have to do to get residency and how long it might realistically take.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 29,423 times
Default I guess I'm a bit late

....if you haven't done the move from Australia to the USA yet and still need info, have a look at [url]www.universalwelcome.com[/url]. Has heaps of info

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan