Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yes, parts are often cheaper, but you reminded me of something else- insurance is cheaper too. When I bought my full-size truck, I very nearly bought a Civic EX instead. They were almost the same price, but the Civic's insurance rate was $40 a month higher.
I'm not sure I totally agree with this, I think it is a case by case / policy by policy basis.

I've had both Civics and full size pick ups (Chevy, Ford and Dodge) on my insurance policy at the same time, exact same coverage for both vehicles, and both were of similar age. The Civic has always been cheaper. My last pick up, a 98 Chevy Silverado, was the same price per month as my 2005 Civic EX. Again, exact same coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Just helped someone purchase a used car. She had $8,000 to spend and we drove domestic and foreign mid-size vehicles around the 2004 range. She basically spent about $2,000 more to get a Camry with 147,000 miles vs. a Malibu with similar year/mileage because it was a much better car. MUCH better, the Malibu was junk! If you let the market (on used cars) do the talking, there is strong evidence that the foreign cars are more reliable/more valuable than the domestic makes when you take the collective purchases of millions of consumers into account and the current demand that places a premium on the price of a foreign car.

I have a 192,000 mile Accord. It has not been perfect but is still a great running car. I also have a 165,000 mile Grand Voyager. It's been a real trooper as well. Based on quality reports, I may have purchased a new Ford Fusion over what I purchased, a new Hyundai Sonata, last year. However, the price of the Fusion was over $4,000 more. I couldn't afford it and am thrilled with my Sonata as I probably would have been the Fusion but I have $4K more in my pocket.

A neighbor, who works at GM mentioned he saw I got a new car. I knew what he was thinking, politely apologized and went on to mention the $4,000 I saved. Did I feel guilty? Sure, a little, but he was cool about it, seemed understanding and we moved on to other topics. If the difference was $500 would I have felt like "buying American" (taking out of the equation the ironic fact that the Hyundai is assembled in American and Fusion in Mexico)? Perhaps, but I have a price point where I do what is best for ME and my family.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
The bottom line is this:
This is AMERICA... the land of the free. You are FREE to spend your money any way you please! If you want to buy an import, it is YOUR money, you EARNED it. I don't believe in this buying a product that I really don't want but I do because I am being PRESSURED.

When someone else punches my time card, put in 8 hours in my name, then they can have rights to say something to me about how I spend then money. Until then... I suggest creating a product that is so good, that people will WANT to buy it... not buy it because they were brow beaten.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Of course you are free to spend your money as you see fit.

And by that same logic corporations are free to ship all their jobs to China, Mexico and India.

Just don't think that your actions don't have consequences.

Exhibit A: The "for lease" and "for sale" signs on all the businesses, homes and storefronts in your neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
The bottom line is this:
This is AMERICA... the land of the free. You are FREE to spend your money any way you please! If you want to buy an import, it is YOUR money, you EARNED it. I don't believe in this buying a product that I really don't want but I do because I am being PRESSURED.

When someone else punches my time card, put in 8 hours in my name, then they can have rights to say something to me about how I spend then money. Until then... I suggest creating a product that is so good, that people will WANT to buy it... not buy it because they were brow beaten.
Nicely put. Independent decisions based on what WE want at a price we want to pay, not what someone else thinks we should want or threatens us to purchase. All else being equal, I believe Americans WILL support other Americans in the marketplace, however, if I am losing value because all else is NOT equal and that foreign badge (which will still be employing plenty of Americans to assemble it) will save me money in the long run, my choice will not be hard.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,683 times
When I worked in the RenCen (where GM headquarters are) for one of the Big 4 financial firms, one of my co-workers drove a Toyota and parked in the shared garage.

Her car got keyed multiple times. Very sad.
I live in NC now and it is much different!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Of course you are free to spend your money as you see fit.

And by that same logic corporations are free to ship all their jobs to China, Mexico and India.

Just don't think that your actions don't have consequences.

Exhibit A: The "for lease" and "for sale" signs on all the businesses, homes and storefronts in your neighborhood.
So if I buy a Ford they will bring jobs back here from Mexico? Seriously...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So if I buy a Ford they will bring jobs back here from Mexico? Seriously...
The Ford employees in Dearborn will take their share of your money and buy goods and services in Michigan. This in turn generates both tax revenue and income for store workers and service providers, they then spend their money in Michigan and provide someone else with jobs (and more tax revenue) and so on. Buy a Toyota and Noji Himahono will buy goods and services in Tokyo with his share of your money thereby generating jobs and tax revenue in Tokyo. That is the way it works.

Buying a Ford will not likley cause Ford to close a parts plant in Mexico and start making those parts here, but that is only a portion of the sale price. That portion is going to be distributed amongst different countries regardless of which car you buy. It is the other portion that your choice will impact. People seem to focus overly much on the portion that is spread amongst many countries regardless of brand, rather than the portion that is actually determined by the location of the Company.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM

167 posts, read 470,125 times
Some of the UAW locals have passed a strike vote against Ford. Hope this doesn't cause another recession if plants are shut down. Aren't they making enough already?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM

262 posts, read 781,770 times
A Toyota engine plant is about five miles from my home. My neighbor's lively hood depends on Toyota and so do a lot of people as the most AMERICAN made car is the TOYOTA Camry. Let me just say I am glad I no longer live in Michigan where people make such generic statements such as 'Buy American', I did and it is a Toyota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan