Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ok I'll bite. What is Geocatching?

Appreently you use a GPC to find something somewhere, but there must be more to it than that.
Its kinda like a treasure hunt. You look on your GPS or phone for the one you want to find. On my phone, it shows all the caches in our area. Just click on one, and it gives info. on it weather its just a micro...where you basically just sign your name, or a bigger one with things in it where you can take something and replace it. Once you click on it, you follow the arrow until you come to the general area, then you look for the hidden cache. The last three I found, my phone App. put me right on it...but you still have to look...some are cleverly hidden. If you have trouble, there are also clues other people have given. Once you find it, you log it...then you can look online at Geocaching.com...and see your post on there. One we found had a camera, then later you look online and see your pic. pretty neat. I like the finding part, and the clues if its hard...you kinda have to become a detective and put the clues together. If you look at "Geocaching.com" and click "map it" you can see all the caches in Michigan..and the U.S. Its really pretty amazing! Oh...Look on Ebay at some of the things you can buy to hide a cache it...its crazy! Fake birds, fish, turtles, grass dog poop...and I even seen a fake sign bolt, where you take a bolt from say a stop sign..and replace it with this bolt, which the head screws off. You have to be damn good to find some of these, and if you cant...you want to go back again sometime and find it cause it drives you nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Figure I'll exchange the ones we find, for new ones so each time we go out and have a little time to stretch the legs we will have fresh ones to look for.
I'm pretty sure there is a setting in c:geo that will let you filter out caches you've already found and logged with geocaching.com. With that set, you can just do a search for caches in your area without fear of repeats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I really have to get a better GPS unit. Mine is the same one that is in the Henry Ford Museum as an example of an early GPS unit . My oldest son hasn't let that one go by at ALL after seeing it. Claims it is proof positive I am a dinosaur in the tech age.
LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a setting in c:geo that will let you filter out caches you've already found and logged with geocaching.com. With that set, you can just do a search for caches in your area without fear of repeats.

LOL
Yeah...on that app. its has a smiley face I think next to the ones weve found.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
It has been a long time in a former life, but I used to do a log of geocaching. It is a great way to get out and add a little extra if you're already out. I don't do the typical "tourist" kind of things, but get out in nature instead. Perfect way to spend time doing it.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Something else about Geocaching, at least with me, is that it makes you stop at some places you normally drive by. There was a cache just down the road from me on a road that I drove all the time, flying through, but it made me stop, and boy was it worth it. This place that I'd never even noticed had a great little hiking trail, ponds, and quite a bit of wildlife.

I don't even remember if I found the cache, but that didn't matter.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Sounds neat. I am going to get the Android app and give it a try.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM

178 posts, read 334,684 times
It's good fun, I have about 1,200 finds. I don't do as much as I used to, as I prefer to do geocaching when I'm out and about on trips or have time to kill.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
Your cousin is in good company, as folks from just about any age group are into it. For example: I'm 46. My wife is 44. Friends we went with are 48 and 46. My great aunt is 70 and likes to go with us. Our friend's mom and dad are presently traveling cross country in an RV, following the old Route 66, and are caching in each state they pass through.

We know alot of folks that go with their kids as a family outing. Aside from the purchase of a GPS or GPS enabled phone, it's a free activity. In my book you just can't beat a free activity that gets families and friends together, off the couch and active, and outdoors.

I agree with you that it's not for everyone. There are some folks that just do not enjoy the outdoors, and others that might believe such an activity to be a frivolous waste of time. But, I for one am glad that someone thought it up. I couldn't begin to tell you the fun we've had over the past few years with friends and family, and the wonderful places we've been and seen.

I think that's wonderful your friends parents & your Aunt are able to enjoy this. Nothing better than exercise & enjoying the outdoors.
I think that's great to be able to get out exercise, spend time with family & meet new people. Hubby & I use to Hike all the time, anywhere & everywhere, even bring the Rotts with us sometimes. Those were the good 'ole days. That we miss so much.
I don't walk that well or for very long I have a above knee prosthesis for the last 8 years & only have 50% blood flow in my other leg. Taking vicodins only take the edge off, so needless to say I wish I could take even long walks.
For everyone else I think it's great if that's what they like to do.
that's all I meant by what I said. I should of been more clear. I'll do better. LOL...

Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

275 posts, read 441,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I think that's wonderful your friends parents & your Aunt are able to enjoy this. Nothing better than exercise & enjoying the outdoors.
I think that's great to be able to get out exercise, spend time with family & meet new people. Hubby & I use to Hike all the time, anywhere & everywhere, even bring the Rotts with us sometimes. Those were the good 'ole days. That we miss so much.
I don't walk that well or for very long I have a above knee prosthesis for the last 8 years & only have 50% blood flow in my other leg. Taking vicodins only take the edge off, so needless to say I wish I could take even long walks.
For everyone else I think it's great if that's what they like to do.
that's all I meant by what I said. I should of been more clear. I'll do better. LOL...
...and this is why I'm glad I kept my response friendly.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
One of my pet-peeves is the revival of a long dead thread... guess who is guilty now? LOL

As an update to my previous posts in this thread, the better GPS I ended up with is actually a new smart phone. I had to update my old clunker and ended up with a Motorola Droid Bionic and for giggles and grins I downloaded the c-geo app on it and finally had a chance to really try it out this past week. What a blast!! Took the youngest two sons out for a walk/swim and I turned on the app... lo and behold a cache was only a little way away from where we were swimming and right on the way back to the truck. After a bit of searching we found it and the boys (and I) were hooked for good. The logbook was missing from the cache and it had been stripped clean by someone, but the hunt was fun and really the best part. We hit two more on the drive home with quick stops and short walks through the woods to the spots. Scored a travel bug in the second one and figured out how to log those in at the website listed on the bug. Of course we came home and found some stuff to replace what the kids had taken (a few trinkets and a sticker) out of the different caches then went back and deposited our items to replace the ones taken. Now there is a small bucket of goodies in my truck and when we get out, everyone grabs a couple to replace items in whatever cache we may find on our walks and hikes. Scored one last night on our regular evening walk that was in a stunningly beautiful location I have never seen before even though I grew up running the woods in this area.

If you haven't tried it yet and love the outdoors, you simply have to try this hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan