Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

116 posts, read 273,088 times

Advertisements

I am curious what long time snowbirds do to close their Michigan homes up for the winter. What temp do set thermostat at? Refrigerator emptied and turned off? Water system drained? Toilet bowls and tanks? Hot water heater? Windows covered? Lights? Power? Anything else I forgot about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
I am curious what long time snowbirds do to close their Michigan homes up for the winter. What temp do set thermostat at? Refrigerator emptied and turned off? Water system drained? Toilet bowls and tanks? Hot water heater? Windows covered? Lights? Power? Anything else I forgot about?
My inlaws have a cottage they close up in the winter and keep the heat I believe around 55 (?) They also have a red lightbulb rigged to a thermometer that lights up if it drops below that, to alert the neighbors that the heat has gone out.

I'm not sure how much else they shut down.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM

275 posts, read 441,992 times
Our house in Ocqueoc sat vacant the past two winters. We would do the following:

* Drain the water lines to the lowest point, put RV antifreeze in the sink and tub traps, and in the toilet tank and bowl.

* We placed insulation and Reflectix on the basement windows, which are currently all single pane, metal framed casement windows.

* Place one of those industrial, job site heaters in the basement. We would set it on low, at a setting that would keep the basement around 40 degrees, just to keep whatever water might still be in the lines from freezing. The electric heater was FAR more cost effective than running the regular heating system, which is an LP fired boiler and baseboard system.

* We identified which breakers controlled the refrigerator, well pump, and water heater. We'd turn these off when leaving.

* Unplug all other electrical devices.

* Prop the fridge door open so that it wouldn't become moldy inside.

* Turn off the LP at the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan