Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon Everyone-

I recently accepted a position to work in Reed City, MI and I'm starting to look around the area for potential places to live. I've never lived in Michigan before, so I'm not framiliar with the area.

A little background info:
- I will be graduating from Arizona State University in May 2012
- My fiance and I will be moving to the area in August/September of 2012
- This will be a temporary home for us, we will live in Michigan for 18-24 months before being relocated to another location based on my job
- Looking for a more "outgoing" place to live, as I'm coming from a very large college town in the Metropolitan Phoenix area

I've been looking at Big Rapids, Cadillac, and Grand Rapids. However, I'm concerned that the commute daily between Grand Rapids and Reed City will be too much, especially during the winter. I'm also worried that there will be nothing for my fiance to do/find work in the area if we select a smaller city to live in.

Since I'm not from Michigan, I'm not framiliar with how good the highway system is and how effective the snow removal is. I don't want a 1 hour commute from Grand Rapids to turn into 2 hours because of the weather.

Are there any good cities/towns close to Grand Rapids that will shorten my commute to Reed City a bit, while still providing the Grand Rapids "feel"?

I appreciate any help that can be provided!

Regards,
Sundevil12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
* Everything north of G.R. is small town USA. Big Rapids is the largest, and a college town (Ferris State) as you probably know.
* Northland Drive parallels US-131 and provides an alternate route if needed. All those towns are tiny. Can't really speak to the winter plowing, although I like the drive in dry weather. I suspect the roads are kept clear with the possible exception of infrequent "lake effect" squalls.
* I would not like to commute from G.R. to Reed City in winter. Maybe Howard City about halfway, but I have no experience there.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
I honestly think that Big Rapids is the only option that makes sense at all. Commuting from Grand Rapids is not reasonable during the winter. That drive will make you miserable (even though the scenery is good during nice weather.) Big Rapids is a college town (albeit a much smaller college than ASU), and while it won't be anything like Phoenix, it will be the least amount of culture shock that you can find up there. Live in Big Rapids and visit Grand Rapids on the weekends whenever you get a chance. That is definitely your best bet.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
^Ditto. I commuted from Walker (north GR suburb) to Big Rapids for a semester. It sucked, even though traffic was not bad and the fall foliage was beautiful. The snow gets cleared, but still, there will be days when you just shouldn't be on the highway. Living an hour's drive away from where you work is not something you should do if you don't have to -- life's too short to waste it on the road. Unless your guy already has a good job lined up in GR, you're better off living as close to your work as possible.

What does your fiance want to do as a career? Or does he just want a job to keep him busy for a couple of years until you two make your next move?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM

222 posts, read 811,069 times
Double Ditto.
You will likely be spending 10 to 11 hours on the job. Add a hour of commuting each way and more than half you day is already shot. And, while you think you might be up to going to a bar, movie, etc, you will likely just want to rest, watch some TV and go to sleep. So why not save the drive and live in Big Rapids? Even if you lived right downtown Grand Rapids, I'm not sure that you can just walk right outside your condo or apartment to the local nightlife. Maybe, but more than likely you will have to drive to those places on the weekend anyway. Plus, if you are only going to be in Michigan 18-24 months, why not enjoy the unique outdoor activities we have, rather than try and duplicate what you have now? There are a lot of interesting places in Michigan to see and things to do within an hour or so of Big Rapids.

The best advice might be to try and get a short term lease in Big Rapids (3 months?) and if you absolutely hate it you can move down to Grand Rapids for the rest of your stay.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

358 posts, read 1,063,246 times
If I were working in the Reed City area, I would look 5 to 10 miles either east or west and find a cabin to rent in the forest, maybe even near one of the rivers. Outdoor, rural, forested land is what makes the quality of life in that area of Michigan. You can always drive down to Big Rapids and Grand Rapids for fun on the weekends.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
You're in for a real treat.

Spent a lot of time in that area and absolutely would live there in a heartbeat, but being a Sun Devil......they'll be quite a bit of adjustments.

Your biggest problem may be having to leave in 18-24 months.

Stay on this message board right up until the time to move.

Lots of good folks with good suggestions.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:22 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
I'm a Ferris State grad. During my last semester I commuted from GRR (near Burton St/Plymouth Ave area) to Big Rapids 4 days a week. At times it wasn't the greatest in the wintertime. GRR can be nice and clear and some areas between GRR and Big Rapids will have 6" of fresh snow (or vice versa). As fr snow removal, they do a pretty good job. Usually they keep a lane cleared during a major snow storm.

If you want to commute, I would look no further than south of Rockford Michigan. Living in Big Rapids isn't that bad...it has changed since I graduated in 1994. There are more shops added since then. I went back to Big Rapids for a conference in 2008 and I was surprised at what I saw. It's no GRR but it did well being a college town.

I hope you enjoy the outdoors...plenty of hiking and biking options up there along with fishing and hunting.

Enjoy the seasons and be sure to check out Lake Michigan, Mackinac Island, UP, and the many resorts towns while you are here!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I love trout fishing in Baldwin.

Watch out for black bear.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I honestly think that Big Rapids is the only option that makes sense at all. Commuting from Grand Rapids is not reasonable during the winter. That drive will make you miserable (even though the scenery is good during nice weather.) Big Rapids is a college town (albeit a much smaller college than ASU), and while it won't be anything like Phoenix, it will be the least amount of culture shock that you can find up there. Live in Big Rapids and visit Grand Rapids on the weekends whenever you get a chance. That is definitely your best bet.
I absolutely agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan