U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times

Advertisements

I work as a public librarian and was asked an unusual reference question. I was not able to provide any statistics after an extensive search. The request was "do you know how many single, young (under 30) and childless people have left Michigan since 2008". I can find outmigration statistics but not his refined. My neighbors unmarried young daughter moved to Los Angeles last year, but I have not had any first hand knowledge beyond this. Do you fit this category or do you know someone (family member, friend, etc.) within this category who has moved out? I am from "Downriver" south of Detroit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM

16,610 posts, read 15,145,645 times
I don't know about "since 2008" specifically, but over the past 3 decades I have known many young people that moved out of Michigan, including 3 of my siblings (out of a total of 5, although 2 had since moved back, and one left for a second time). Several neighbors, friends, acquaintances have also moved out. I'd say about 1/2 have since returned to Michigan after only a few years, ostensibly to be near family and friends who did not move out.

Chicago seems to be a big draw for young people. The "big city life" is attractive for some reason (never appealed to me). All those that moved to Chicago for the "big city life" have either moved back to Michigan or have moved out of downtown Chicago (usually after their first child reaches school age.)

Recently, young people are choosing to live in downtown (or "Midtown") Detroit. This was nearly unheard of until a few years ago.

Someone recently posted a neat interactive map of the United States that shows where people are migrating to-and-from within the US. I look around and see if I can find it (it's in the Detroit Forum).

Last edited by Retroit; 09-10-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM

6,423 posts, read 12,124,290 times
Is this the map you're talking about?

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 PM

16,610 posts, read 15,145,645 times
Yep!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 5,408,905 times
I read somewhere (probably in some old post on here) the number one destination for Michigan State graduates is Chicagoland. It may be for Michigan-Ann Arbor as well, I'm not sure, probably not so much for Dearborn and Flint as those are by and large commuter schools. Both schools, Michigan in particular, have chapters of their alumni associations in numerous far-flung places.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 11,950,441 times
There was an article on it in the Detroit News back in 2008. I'll be sure to post it once I find it.

The main reason moved wasn't for jobs either.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 PM

8,884 posts, read 18,678,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I read somewhere (probably in some old post on here) the number one destination for Michigan State graduates is Chicagoland. It may be for Michigan-Ann Arbor as well, I'm not sure, probably not so much for Dearborn and Flint as those are by and large commuter schools. Both schools, Michigan in particular, have chapters of their alumni associations in numerous far-flung places.
I believe you are right us66, for many university grads in Michigan. Many move to Chicago with no job. However, I think UofM grads head moreso to the East Coast.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,549,063 times
I'm a young, single guy who moved out of Michigan in 2010, after I graduated from (undergrad) college. I left because I wanted to take some time off before going to grad school, and I couldn't find a decent job in Michigan. I originally wanted to stay in Michigan, but I couldn't find employment. So I moved to Minnesota, worked for a year, confirmed my suspicions that the "professional world" just wasn't for me, and decided to keep pursuing my dream of entering academia.

Now I'm in grad school at a university here in Minnesota, working on a Master of Arts degree (in political science and public policy) before I start my PhD (also in poli. sci.). There's a chance I could end up back in Niles or my hometown of Kalamazoo for a few years if I get accepted into PhD programs at Notre Dame or Western Michigan. I'm also considering Michigan State and the University of Michigan, but I'd be a long shot to get into either of those programs.

Long term, I don't really see myself staying in Michigan. I want to become a professor, and Michigan's state government keeps slashing university funding, which means fewer positions for professors, at least at public universities. I don't really feel like I fit with Michigan anymore -- it will always be my home, but I've moved on.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,801,559 times
University funding is being slashed nationwide. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,517,337 times
I have known some young people who left Michigan seeking greener pastures, and I have known some young people who came back at the first opportunity because they took for granted the things that make life in Michigan sweet for so many of us.

We're not particularly young, but we left a couple of years ago so that dh could take a job transfer to Phoenix and our dd could get some relief (or so we thought) from her allergies. Without going into detail and with a clear understanding that many people love Phoenix and would never live anywhere else, let me just say that I came very close to kissing the ground when I got off the plane at Detroit Metro when we moved back.

Michigan has a reputation for having zero job opportunities, but if you take the time to read the other state forums here on C-D and other professional/relocation forums as well, things are tough all over. I used to think that maybe young people had to leave Michigan to have any hope of finding work, but more and more I am seeing that young people can do just as well here as anywhere right now. I work with a bunch of young 20 something new grad RNs who were all able to find secure, well-paying jobs right here in SE Michigan. It is very encouraging, because on the nursing forums that I subscribe to, it appears that new grads cannot beg, borrow, or steal a job in a lot of other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan